No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not much to report, did a guy breakfast this am, then went to a car show in the C3. Good news is it made it there and back, bad news is the distributor came loose again. The there was the whole save-a-hummingbird and my day was done.
    Dan Barlow likes this.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• figured out the distributor problem, a wire got caught between the base and the intake....
      I see a bit lean, late timing....

what is 'stock'

I'm going back to it for the following reasons
      1) there is nothing holding the lower row of rockers in line

2) note the alignment of the exhaust

3) doesn't fit well

I needed to also adjust the rockers - some were way out, but that's to be expected on a new motor....

Comment

• back together, tomorrow I'll time it and put the new starter.... should have it done just in time for winter to hit
        DanStokes likes this.

Comment

• Perfect timing!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Perfect timing!

Dan
            It was... the plan was for it to go to SEMA then lead wherever that lead... this car and my FJ40 has generated a lot of interest and motivation to open a speedshop... There isn't a week where I don't have good offers (not tire kickers) to build stuff for others.... truth is I do lawyering with the same motivation as any other professional - you do it, but it's not what motivates me.

anyway
            tonight was blowing warranties
            first, I need to start looking at cutting off the anti-chatter from the new pads

then decide how to mount these
            but first, take them apart
            DanStokes likes this.

Comment

• onto boring stuff....
              shifter boot

new post covers

the problem is the top corner wears out and looks terrible

no idea how this happened... annoying, but not changing it for now

door panels are coming soon. I spent the balance of the evening tuning.... something is off - the IAC is wide open, maybe stuck, dunno... also 10 psi hot oil pressure at idle is not making me happy.... 60 psi at full song, but the low pressure....

Comment

• I've said it before, and I'll say it again with illustration. The IAC isn't working, so today I called FiTech - they picked up their phone before it rang, answered the question and I have a couple things to do .... and bob's my uncle (well, he was but he died)...

There isn't an aftermarket EFI which works perfect out of the box. I've dealt with all of them now, but that 'doesn't even ring' before their tech line is there to answer my question should be the first thing anyone does when they do EFI.
                65RHDEER, silver_bullet and DanStokes like this.

Comment

• still not 100% on the motor, but the spark plug boots (despite wrap and heat boots) are not surviving well...
                  first replace the IAC valve (it was stuck), then reprogram

but onto other things. I'm going away from the actuator to C5 headlight motors. The biggest issue is opening them if something fails, using the C5 motors makes it possible to open them manually...

still haven't decided if I'll use a C4 controller or Arduino... strangely enough, it would probably be easier to learn Arduino then the wiring for the C4 controller... time will tell
                  also rebuild the arms

depin the motors

in other bench-clearing news, rubber bumpers were installed

silver_bullet likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

There isn't an aftermarket EFI which works perfect out of the box. I've dealt with all of them now.....

**dont say it... DONT say it.... must.....maintain....control....**

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

**dont say it... DONT say it.... must.....maintain....control....**
                      oh feel free, just remember, when the ball goes up - it's damn hard to bring it back down.

Comment

• as discussed before... rubbers

the most important is the one at the top of the radiator, without it and cooling is likely going to be an issue

onto metal work... radio block

headlight motor bracket

they will work, but I may remake them

basically it bolts to where the vacuum canisters were - next up, maybe remake and arms

DanStokes and silver_bullet like this.

Comment

• no remake yet, still need to prove the concept
                          arm made

this is where it will live
                          milner351 and silver_bullet like this.

Comment

• ive had good luck with late 70's ford f350 pickup/460 "duraspark" plug wire set,
                            (distributor end same as gm HEI) or a 135 degree boot aftermarket set.

all the 90 degree or 180 'straight' boots always burnt, even the ceramic expensive ones.
                            this is my normal 'go to' for bbc/header wire set-- (they make em in other colors too...)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-78753

actually i got mine from amazon the last few times, but theyre out right now...

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Cable-7.../dp/B007YD9IOU

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                              ive had good luck with late 70's ford f350 pickup/460 "duraspark" plug wire set,
                              (distributor end same as gm HEI) or a 135 degree boot aftermarket set.

all the 90 degree or 180 'straight' boots always burnt, even the ceramic expensive ones.
                              this is my normal 'go to' for bbc/header wire set-- (they make em in other colors too...)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-78753

actually i got mine from amazon the last few times, but theyre out right now...

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Cable-7.../dp/B007YD9IOU
                              manly engines use pottery

but I totally see why you'd avoid those.

Comment

• light work
                                another view of the setup

kind of the goal

new springs

time for pottery
                                light work

another view of the setup

kind of the goal

new springs

time for pottery

the MSD boots can bend... but not enough

need to cut the bottom so the rod can go back and forth

the MSD boots can bend... but not enough

need to cut the bottom so the rod can go back and forth

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 24, 2020, 09:41 PM.
                                DanStokes likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X