No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires are here.... went with Toyo Proxes, 320 AA tread rating but summer tire - I think a 200 rating would be a waste at this point
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Who do you get them from? I'm starting to look at 17" wheels and new tires for my Mustang.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Who do you get them from? I'm starting to look at 17" wheels and new tires for my Mustang.

Dan
        Onlinetire.com

They shipped from California - so not sure they'd be as quick for you.... the back story, I wanted to buy local, but was told by Discount tire that they were discontinued and out of stock from the manufacturer.... they are also 1/3 less (even a touch more 991 delivered vs. 1781).... date is good on them, and they were delivered quickly... poor discount is going to have to mount them ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Onlinetire.com

They shipped from California - so not sure they'd be as quick for you.... the back story, I wanted to buy local, but was told by Discount tire that they were discontinued and out of stock from the manufacturer.... they are also 1/3 less (even a touch more 991 delivered vs. 1781).... date is good on them, and they were delivered quickly... poor discount is going to have to mount them ;)
          Thanks! Quick isn't all that important for me so these folks are worth a look. Stanger is basically a street car who might take occasional runs down the 1/8 mile but just for fun so I don't need (or want to pay for) super tires but I would like something round and as wide as possible (I have a lead on sizes). Not as wide as yours!

Dan

Comment

Who do you get them from? I'm starting to look at 17" wheels and new tires for my Mustang.

Dan
            Dan, another options is TireRack. They have decent pricing, quick shipping and local installers if you want to go that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Dan, another options is TireRack. They have decent pricing, quick shipping and local installers if you want to go that way.
              in that vein, they're discount tire by another name... oh and if you do shop discount tire, discount tire online is NOT the same as the stores (which is really odd when you have tires put on that you bought online at discount tire)...

another that works is Simpletire.com

Comment

• Interesting! Our youngest son is a Discount store manager - he just got his own store in Toledo Ohio (he's been an assistant manager) where he's sorting out a store that was poorly managed for some time. He's a great manager and a super guy - the guys at that store think they've died and gone to heaven. I'll ask him what the linkage is - or isn't - between the stores and the online business.

Simpletire might be OK but I was hoping for some smart tires! Some that'll save me what I do something dumb......

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; March 6, 2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• ive had best prices/availability with amazon, AND a lot of it
                  ships free with prime. only potential problem is warranty/returns....

anyway, the 36" swampers were $469 each locally, a comparable 35"
                  patagonia was $139 each at amazon and shipped free.

thats $1880 for 4 tires locally, OR $560 for 4 tires at amazon.....

Comment

Interesting! Our youngest son is a Discount store manager - he just got his own store in Toledo Ohio (he's been an assistant manager) where he's sorting out a store that was poorly managed for some time. He's a great manager and a super guy - the guys at that store think they've died and gone to heaven. I'll ask him what the linkage is - or isn't - between the stores and the online business.

Simpletire might be OK but I was hoping for some smart tires! Some that'll save me what I do something dumb......

Dan
                    yes but if you had smart tires, you couldn't blame the compound or the tire pressure when things go pear shaped...

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                      ive had best prices/availability with amazon, AND a lot of it
                      ships free with prime. only potential problem is warranty/returns....

anyway, the 36" swampers were $469 each locally, a comparable 35"
                      patagonia was $139 each at amazon and shipped free.

thats $1880 for 4 tires locally, OR $560 for 4 tires at amazon.....
                      and best of all is you get a pissy Les Schwab Tire manager.... "we don't make money doing mounts" "Sure you do, and you don't make any more flapping your gums at me."

there is a highly evil part of me that wants to take these tires to be mounted and balanced at Les Schwab.... just to see if he's as spineless as I believe he is..... just the wheels/tires.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 6, 2021, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• I always thought I wanted a tire machine and a spin balancer but I never pursued it. The money went elsewhere which is where a lot of my money went.

Dan

Comment

I always thought I wanted a tire machine and a spin balancer but I never pursued it. The money went elsewhere which is where a lot of my money went.

Dan
                          food .... and what do you have to show for it? *sigh*

Comment

• who knew a 315/30zr18 and 345/30zr19 could fit?
                            but I digress, I drove half way across Washington today to pick up some tires/wheels..... they're C7 Z06 wheels with Hoosier A4 tires (that are seriously date challenged 1/15 and 2/15)

what's under it is 275/35zr18 and 305/30zr19s

they fit/don't hit - the caveat is the A4 tire has quite a radius sidewall otherwise there would be problems

oof da they're huge

and they fit

the 345 does fit very well on the rear

so the puzzle, leave them the same color, paint them? paint them what? likely these will be the going to town tires and wheels (the new tires on the z06 wheels).... I'll put the slicks on the other wheels for days when I need a 40 treadwear tire....

Comment

• and just for the record, sometimes I feel like I'm 3 years old and my parents gave me Thor's hammer to play with...... it may not be a good result but it will be entertaining....

Comment

• Them's some chubby suckers!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X