No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be honest, in all my years following the modified car scene here in Australia, I honestly cannot recall hearing the name speedmaster. Certainly none of the respected engine builders I know use them.

Comment

• To Do - while I remember

1) fix the sticking clutch
      2) connect the speedo sender
      3) firmly attach overflow
      4) better throttle cable (sticking)
      5) fuel leak out the top of the gas tank
      6) better gears.... 3.42 or 3.73.....
      7) trailer ramps
      8) tire rub front.... thinking much stiff springs all the way around
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 28, 2021, 09:08 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan

um don't you have race car to prepare too?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

um don't you have race car to prepare too?
            Getting close!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Getting close!

Dan
              me too

Comment

• you know that list.... well, there's 14 items on it after completing 2..... ah well, ordered more bits to knock the list down
                first things.... all 4 springs are 12" 400 lb springs. So the hope of changing springs... nope, even my spare springs are 350 lb... ah well, 4- 500# springs on their way

where is the tire hitting... on the right... here (between the tape marks)

on the left... just a light rub where the tape is - this is the wheel I had to fix the opening....

the worst of the bunch

clearly I don't have control over the rear tires.... but I do have the poly bushing so this will be ended...

there is a clank problem as well - but I'm beginning to think it's just a noisy limited slip

the other issue is spring bind is stopped the tire... there needs to be a progressive stop installed... so that's a new item to the list

where the bump stop needs to be....

I'll take the springs out completely when I set the bumps in place so no more rubbing.... and travel.

hmm... fuel leak

I'm starting to suspect the leak is the fuel pump seal.... that's a lot of money and work to replace something that should never have this issue... not 100% sure, but ...hmm

maybe you folks see something I'm missing

Comment

• Really hard to tell from this far away, Assuming it isn't a pressure leak which i am sure you would have already found. To refresh my memory, this was a low pressure carbureted system you upgraded to EFI. Could you need more vent - you have a high volume pump with return line - could it be building pressure (frothing) internally in the tank? It looks like the sending unit area is also wet - not sure if that is all slosh. Sometimes when I am having problems locating the source of a leak do to windage, I will tie little bits of white t-shirt cloth around the various fittings/lines trying to find one that is wet.

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                    Really hard to tell from this far away, Assuming it isn't a pressure leak which i am sure you would have already found. To refresh my memory, this was a low pressure carbureted system you upgraded to EFI. Could you need more vent - you have a high volume pump with return line - could it be building pressure (frothing) internally in the tank? It looks like the sending unit area is also wet - not sure if that is all slosh. Sometimes when I am having problems locating the source of a leak do to windage, I will tie little bits of white t-shirt cloth around the various fittings/lines trying to find one that is wet.
                    it's been EFI since I changed tanks. I'm guessing that it's coming from the sender.... at least, that's going to be my first attempt to seal

In other news, I bought a 3.42 geared differential out of a wrecked SS.... 3.27 now, 3.42 should be better... I suspect that I'll end up rebuilding the 3.27 carrier with a 3.73 ring and pinion eventually, but for now, this is the bux down way of doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

it's been EFI since I changed tanks. I'm guessing that it's coming from the sender.... at least, that's going to be my first attempt to seal

In other news, I bought a 3.42 geared differential out of a wrecked SS.... 3.27 now, 3.42 should be better... I suspect that I'll end up rebuilding the 3.27 carrier with a 3.73 ring and pinion eventually, but for now, this is the bux down way of doing it.
                      I would agree with the sender theory.... nice to take the gear ratio in steps tho..... 3.73 might give some serious traction issues tho... as Carol Shelby stated: "There is never too much Horsepower, just not enough traction"
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

I would agree with the sender theory.... nice to take the gear ratio in steps tho..... 3.73 might give some serious traction issues tho... as Carol Shelby stated: "There is never too much Horsepower, just not enough traction"
                        I'm fan of Collin Chapman's quip when Enzo Ferrari said something similar (Enzo said handling is for people who can't build motors), there is sufficient hp when you can lay rubber from corner to corner...

Comment

• onward.... enjoy the view, they're going away

new hotness

the problem is pretty simple, it doesn't align because the studs are a touch longer

I also need to align a couple rockers....

now with adjusted guideplates and no girdle

Comment

• I'm sorry for asking this stupid question... does anyone make self aligning roller rockers for a MK IV big block :?
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              I'm sorry for asking this stupid question... does anyone make self aligning roller rockers for a MK IV big block :?
                              they make shaft rockers.... they are not cheap....

Comment

• New (to me) differential on its way.... thought I had a deal with one wrecking yard... but they didn't respond so went with a less expensive option.... love

car-part.com

Comment

Working...
                                X