• Show
Clear All

• Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Those suckers move fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
        Those suckers move fast!
        Something on that car needs to move fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
          Those suckers move fast!
          they need to since the music in the background might get the video pulled....
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I can't remember off the top of my head what you used for those but , the machines at work have these little festo air cylinders or ramps that I was thinking about using on my 87 GTA /TA that would have been that fast . I like it !
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
              I can't remember off the top of my head what you used for those but , the machines at work have these little festo air cylinders or ramps that I was thinking about using on my 87 GTA /TA that would have been that fast . I like it !
              1998-2004 Corvette motors

Comment

• onto more fixes.
                Coolant, the outlet is higher then the top of the radiator - thus I need a bleeder at the highest point.
                the problem

remove

180 degree thermostat with hole drilled (which is what's keeping it from overheating since the other side is actually above the radiator.

hmmm... no picture of the fix... tomorrow
                onto wires
                I'm not a fan of the pertronix ceramic boots.... that said, if you buy enough of them, eventually they stay on

while I was at it, I did some nicer wire looms

then onto the task I'm not quite done with.... advance

I went from the heaviest springs (all in by 2800) to the lightest - which actually start the advance at 800 rpm and all in by 2500

next is a limiter - but I need to both back the timing way off (it's at 18 degrees now - should be around 10)... I also need to put an adjustable vacuum cannister on it - at idle it should be adding advance (save the starter and give advance when loping along at freeway speeds) but it most certainly won't because it takes 10 hg to move it and 15 to fully open it. If this motor makes 10 hg anywhere, I'd be surprised

more tomorrow.
                in other news, I'm running straight 30w - and oil pressure isn't a problem... go figure

Comment

• final picture of the vent

on to other issues... vacuum leak(s)

the problem started with being unable to keep it running with less then 20 degrees static.....

now it'll run at 9 and is at 17. 21 degrees comes in starting at 1000 rpm then is all in by 2000 for a total of 38 degrees.... I'll run it then see how the plugs look

Comment

• the sucky part of all of this is now I have to retune it....
                    I'll say it outloud - I think the dyno numbers were really low for what it is and I'm not sure the FiTech is working correctly - the base gasket smelled like fuel....

ah well, hot rods and learning. not complaining
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 30, 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• oh good grief

This is new

oh good, I get to buy another freaking set of push rods.... see the witness mark? it's on all the rocker arms

this side is 'fine' .... started here, adjusted valves.

time to wire a starter bump switch

and yesterday's stuff just didn't end, this is a click-to-on switch, not a momentary switch (as advertised)

so another switch later

and bumping can occur. pushrods arrive tomorrow... they're nearly 1/2" longer
                      by memory, stock is like 8.280 intake, 9.250 exhaust so these line up, 8.700 for the intake, and 9.550 exhaust. One of the problems, before, you might remember was the head studs were substantially shorter then the new ARP studs.... then the poly locks are shorter - presumptively to clear short valve covers - and it's the hex end that's actually doing the hitting...

Comment

• Did that rocker and stud pull out of the head or just unscrew?

It's putting up a fight isn't it
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                          Did that rocker and stud pull out of the head or just unscrew?

It's putting up a fight isn't it
                          unscrew

Comment

• winning

and spacing the valve cover up

Comment

• Valve adjusting.
                              Hot lash is .016, since it was stone cold, I set it to .009

turns out that was really close. Warmed the car up and had to adjust a few valves but overall, about 50% of them didn't need adjustment. That said, I did reset them so that I'd get a good 'set' with the allen screw. I drove it, it sounds great, I'll drive it again tomorrow (more then a mile) then check the set. If I don't have to adjust, I'll leave it for 100 miles then check it again. my goal is 500 road miles before Optima....

in other news, I should probably change the exhaust oil seals on the passenger side... I think one is leaking

Comment

• I know I'm strange to some but I love how the intake runners look like they continue to run right up to the intake valves

Comment

Working...
                                X