No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's what bothers me the most in all of this. They didn't call back. When I was having problems at Willow, I called them and the first words were "having bad cell service, please call me back if I lose you." "okay" "do you have my phone number?" "yes". They give their extension, but this one didn't. They know this because I put it in the description of what the problem was to get the RMA.

Had they called back I could have reloaded the software and maybe raced (still the fan problem - that they claim is fixed).... but they didn't. Now, 3 weeks later, I still don't know.... and I didn't get a chance to race.

Oh, and they convinced me to give Holley a try - they said "Holley copied us" .... fantastic, that means it's a good probability Holley's product is better. I hate tossing a small company under the bus but there are countless in the EFI field.. what's one more?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Well, I think I'm pretty sure the cascade of events that led to the FiTech dying.
      but first

hood fits

ish

some trimming will occur
      Interior is mostly back together

some preliminary tuning happened
      but

So what happened. I think the headlights were the proverbial straw - the fans were running full bore and the switch couldn't handle the 30 amp current.... that popped the fuse and created a voltage surge. Which scrambled the computer and took the alternator with it. I gave up when the alternator wasn't charging... by that time, it really didn't matter... today, it was generating 12.5 volts.

The alternator is, iirc, a 63 amp alternator because, well, I didn't expect to be running fans or a EFI fuel pump. Add that 30 amp headlight lift and there it is. Had the car been off when I flipped the switch, I would have been annoyed at the headlights not popping up but the car would have continued to work. Anyway, a new DB alternator should be here Friday....

and before Fitech starts celebrating.. had those people called me back like they promised, I could have diagnosed this on Friday and went on my merry way....
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 23, 2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• back to the hood....

hardly a twitch to cut on a painted car any more

what to use for marking compound? ah yes, anti-seize

and cutting commences

Comment

• got the new alternator... if I can remember where I got the other; it's probably still under warranty

Comment

• Fingers crossed for you.

Dan

Comment

• all installed and wired, tomorrow am I'll take it for a spin....

Comment

• Spin went well, need to figure out low idle when cold and set the IAC This 100 plus temps plus 80% humidity can stop anytime... and yes, I'm tempted to go to Utah, I should have the rest fixed by the end of this week and tuned. Think I have an AutoX coming up (near) - beat it, if it still works - then go... in other news, I might have blown my left knee.... good thing I don't have to shift (lol).

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  in other news, I might have blown my left knee.
                  Now what did you do ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post

Now what did you do ?
                    I dunno. Got old?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I dunno. Got old?
                      Sneezed with your foot off the ground?

Comment

• More inductees into the Aaron C3 Club. Not my car, but a friend's

73 350 car, one owner, 4 speed, needs a complete restoration but drove most of the way home... I think the coil is bad. The PO thought vaporlock, but the carb still has fuel in it when it dies.... new fuel pump, new cap, new plugs, new points... dies when it gets fully heat soaked....

Comment

• replaced the coil yesterday, he made it the rest of the way home. Right rear bearing (which we knew was bad), is really worse then we thought so it's not really drive able until it gets fixed. Which, I'm sure he'll putt around his neighborhood until the parts get here - he's doing a full ridetech rear suspension (at least, as of last night). I'm trying to talk him into a LS 427/5 speed combo. Do the same as I did on PF 1 for the front suspension... but for now, fix the rear suspension, fix the a/c and drive it for the rest of the summer.... come winter the powerplant will be resolved.... I'm still quite jealous, it's a neat car.

Comment

• A4 Corbeau seats ordered (with brackets). Get this, they called me to let me know the seat I ordered wouldn't fit. How weird is that? customer service BEFORE the sale. Of course, they only send by FedUp - so I imagine there will be a saga.... however, it's so refreshing to get such great customer service that I have to trumpet them.

Comment

• engine is back together

Luigi approves

inside, I'm getting there... the center plate wasn't well fastened and it's time to make it so

Comment

• Well, if Luigi approves, who am I to say anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X