No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBG - too late now but here's my best shop trick........ Install the cam FIRST before mounting the engine on the stand. Sit the engine sitting on it's butt so gravity works for you and the cam will slip right in. Don't drop it on the rear plug or you can pop it out. Whenever I do a ground-up build I always do it that way and it's SO easy.

Dan

Comment

• I don't because I'm a klutz. If the cam isn't in the block when you drop rod nuts, they go all the way to the floor.
      fwiw - I put it in with the motor upside down then I can reach through the windows and balance the back of the cam.

my annoyance last night was in spinning it over - there's a metal sound (spinning the engine over on the stand, not spinning the crank). The PO knocked a freeze plug into the block - I haven't decided yet whether or not it annoys me enough to pull a freeze plug out so I can retrieve it. One thing I am glad about is I've checked absolutely everything so I know there aren't any surprises that otherwise concern me... well, except he used the moly assembly grease and got very jiggy with its use so several of the oil holes had a bunch of the grease in them. It probably would have come out but it frightens me to think if it hadn't.... ah well, more assembly tonight
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 12, 2017, 07:16 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Air hose works with grease in the passages... As for the freeze plug... is it in a place where it might impede the flow and cause hot spots?
        Long needle nose and magnets unless it is brass... Might be able to get it out thru the water pump hole if you can get it crushed small nuff..

Comment

• I got nuthin'
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• so first a fright

notice the cam plate bolt holes? anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether or not a Gen 4 or Gen 5 cam and timing set is required? the block is an 89

fortunately, I have other stuff to do
            I've finally given up - I'll buy the tapered ring compressors for all my builds - this one will work also with my Buick motor but I am not doing the hateful compressors again...

then I noticed that the numbers on the rods are not the same as the numbers on the pistons.... the seller told me that the marked numbers (yellow) matched the holes so I went with that - but the rod numbers do not. I'd love to hear why he didn't number the rods correctly (they were resized) oh well.. I'm sure when HRM takes this motor apart in a few years they'll make much ado about how the rods were on the wrong journal... to them I say "HA"

after number 2 I had to go do SAR stuff.... ah well, things are progressing
            for those interested - Gen 4.... gave me a heart attack though when I saw that....there are no pedestals - which means that had I noticed before, I could have done away with the cam button.... ah well.

Comment

• I like the meat between bores!

Comment

• stable architecture. because of LS motors, BBC have come down in price - but I wonder if people will start reconsidering because I think this is the most affordable way to make 700 NA hp. Above 700? I dunno that's the domain of experts and internet jockeys to debate ad nauseum.

Comment

• I like the torque of s plain bbc.. Kinda interesting to do a few little hop ups just to see..
                  Sbc is relatively easy to get good power out of..
                  The prices kept me from playing with the bbc. Like you say, ls is driving prices of bbc down.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    I've finally given up - I'll buy the tapered ring compressors for all my builds - this one will work also with my Buick motor but I am not doing the hateful compressors again...
                    Absolutely worth it. Those old style ones suck! Good to see progress. I'm still in home improvement mode.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      so first a fright

notice the cam plate bolt holes? anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether or not a Gen 4 or Gen 5 cam and timing set is required? the block is an 89
                      IIRC, All chevy big blocks were MK IV until 1991....I do not believe you need to worry about the retainer holes....
                      found this article for reference: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/456...e-generations/
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; September 13, 2017, 08:50 AM. Reason: found more info...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• onward

ugh.... now I have to think

I think I'll finish this bit later

Comment

• so
                          I got roller rockers, a hood scoop, 850 carb, water pump... but no one needs pictures since no actual work happened, so there it is

Comment

• no pics= never happened

Comment

• right.... nothing happening here, no need to take pictures of anything

Comment

• Was the cam off or did you end up dot to dot?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X