• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    never mind. i was gonna do some "mansplaining" but aint gonna
    make a difference either way.

you're welcome to try, but since I build and race these, you might find me a bit hard to convince...

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    never mind. i was gonna do some "mansplaining" but aint gonna
    make a difference either way.

Last edited by fatguyzinc; December 22, 2021, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Well it's gotta provide --a little-- but I know what you're meaning.

I've been hanging my coupe body (sans front clip) by the corners at the upper windshield posts (and at rear window corners) and without the T-bar I don't think I'd do that on a convertible, but talking about ultimate strength where stuff bends, and flexibility within the material springback where stuff shakes, are indeed two different things.
    Last edited by Loren; December 22, 2021, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    jack the car up behind the front wheel on the frame then open the door... there is twist there but my point was following yours - that the little T bar provides nothing in way of strength to the chassis.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    NTITEB (That means NotThatI'mTheExpertBut A photo that to me shows that coupe or convertible, doors are part of a structural "path" of the C3 body; opening and closing wear alone cannot account for how pounded-to-pieces these hinge bushings from my '72 are. The triangle of the upper and lower hinge on the door post, and the latch at rear, is likely part of what prevents cowl shake and all points need to be snug when the door shuts. I.E., my car even though a coupe would probably shake if I just stuck these back in without repair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	1311022

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

It was just a thought. Of-course the coupe T-bar would help lots but I've had full-on hardtop cars with cowl shake too that I'm sure they didn't let them out of the factory with. Loose door hinge-pin bushings would be a next thing to look at.
    you know this but this fits within the conversation.... most C3s, which are race cars, started as convertibles. Not just that but the issue is the flexing frame and top or not, it doesn't matter for strength because, as Loren points out, that little bar running to the targa top does nothing for torsional stiffness.

1968 Owens-Corning C3

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 22, 2021, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post

They have short socks ?
    I think you could answer this question by simply looking in the mirror.... the only number-matching that happens here is the one to check whether or not the part is stolen.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

yep, new mounts i put in for him. its physics-- just like a full
    cage is stiffer than a 4pt bar, a floor/firewall/windshield posts
    and door jambs just arent as stiff as if you tie it together with
    the rear header and t-top center bar to windshield.

however, as i always say-- i know what *I* would do, but its
    your car, your money. up to you how you want to do it....

It was just a thought. Of-course the coupe T-bar would help lots but I've had full-on hardtop cars with cowl shake too that I'm sure they didn't let them out of the factory with. Loose door hinge-pin bushings would be a next thing to look at.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    I know what I would do - trade it in for a few more gold chains and a handful of Tommy Bahama short socks.
    They have short socks ?

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    ''' i know what *I* would do, but itsyour car, your money. up to you how you want to do it....
    I know what I would do - trade it in for a few more gold chains and a handful of Tommy Bahama short socks.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Is that it?

There's two frame mounts each side in the cowl area to look at if there's shaking. It's all sheet metal under the 'glass through there, windshield, door posts, rockers.
    yep, new mounts i put in for him. its physics-- just like a full
    cage is stiffer than a 4pt bar, a floor/firewall/windshield posts
    and door jambs just arent as stiff as if you tie it together with
    the rear header and t-top center bar to windshield.

however, as i always say-- i know what *I* would do, but its
    your car, your money. up to you how you want to do it....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
    I know you're at the shortest day of the year... I'm waiting patiently for the report on how the TKX drives
    not sure the sun came up today... I've driven it, it is nice - like driving a gated manual.... very precise. Not sure I like the ability to adjust pressure off center - it has springs that return it, in neutral to the spot between 3rd and 4th because it makes reverse a pain to find (below 5th but you have to put a bit of pressure to get onto that gate side (or 1st/2nd). Outside of that, it feels very positive in both gear selection and holding power in those gears.

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    I know you're at the shortest day of the year... I'm waiting patiently for the report on how the TKX drives

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Is that it?

There's two frame mounts each side in the cowl area to look at if there's shaking. It's all sheet metal under the 'glass through there, windshield, door posts, rockers.
    no, that's a friend's car that I've driven.... I told him that if he dies, I want it

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Is that it?

Last edited by Loren; December 21, 2021, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X