Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ah turkey day.... not much accomplished other then driving 400 miles
    but still time to talk ofsets


    whether anyone likes it or not, 20s is all that fit... .20x10 front 20x12 rear (though this could go to 14 if I so choose)
    front 2 3/4" = 69.85 mm, 20x10 - 254 mm width. divide by 2 = 127. 127-69.85= 57.15 mm or 58mm positive offset on a 10 inch rim (which is a custom size, the best I've found is in the 40s)

    rear 4"

    math 20x12 = 304.8/2 = 153.9-101.6 (4 inches) = 52.3.... interestingly, the rears tend to be nearer zero or further out in the 70 range.

    oh yeah and one more thing.... yes, that is suspended on the spring



    did that by welding tabs on the top



    hopefully Sunday I can start making the rear suspended
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

    Comment


    • next up, I'll probably buy the tires to double check my measurements. One thing, though, about the front is if I extend the flares 1/2", then there are off-the-shelf solutions. That said custom wheels start at 600 and go up from there, so at some point, I may just say heck with it
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

      Comment


      • Looking forward to seeing it sitting on the ground with the rolling stock . I just got up so my head isn't wrapping around all the math yet ......but am I getting this much right you plan on a 305ish tire on the back ? From 2500 miles away it looked like a 335 would have fit in those flairs . Ad no I'm not hung over as I don't drink .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

        Comment


        • those tires I tried before - the C5 ones - were 305 rears.... and too small it's a good problem to have
          Dan Barlow likes this.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

          Comment


          • tires 335/20zr20, 275/30zr20.
            silver_bullet and Dan Barlow like this.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              tires 335/20zr20, 275/30zr20.
              yikes. 20 series/30 series are gonna look like the last wrap of electrical
              tape on the roll just before you hit the cardboard...
              but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
              cant argue with the resourcefulness and quality of your work.

              and im ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that car is going to go like the proverbial
              striped @ss ape...............

              wish i had half your talent and skill.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

                yikes. 20 series/30 series are gonna look like the last wrap of electrical
                tape on the roll just before you hit the cardboard...
                but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
                cant argue with the resourcefulness and quality of your work.

                and im ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that car is going to go like the proverbial
                striped @ss ape...............

                wish i had half your talent and skill.
                you understand that the aspect is a ratio? That means that the sidewall is 20% of the treadwidth. That's not a rubber band, buddy, that's a 27" tire on a 20" rim - with a tiny, every so narrow 13" tread width..... sheesh, some people's hawaiian children.

                it's not a skill to be as dense as a rock and full of doggedness so that when someone tells you it can't be done - you simply do even though it cost 10x more and takes 10x more time..
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 23, 2018, 10:20 PM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

                  you understand that the aspect is a ratio? That means that the sidewall is 20% of the treadwidth. That's not a rubber band, buddy, that's a 27" tire on a 20" rim - with a tiny, every so narrow 13" tread width..... sheesh, some people's hawaiian children.

                  it's not a skill to be as dense as a rock and full of doggedness so that when someone tells you it can't be done - you simply do even though it cost 10x more and takes 10x more time..
                  Or on the back its approaching 2-3/4 sidewall .
                  silver_bullet likes this.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

                  Comment


                  • 20% of 26.91.... so yes, 26 5/8. I still think the metric tire 'system' is stupid, and don't get me started on offset.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

                      you understand that the aspect is a ratio? That means that the sidewall is 20% of the treadwidth. ....
                      yes sir. and thats....maybe 2.5 inches, give or take? (sorry its 6am here,
                      to early to be mathing.) the 275/60/15 rears on the white vette in my avatar
                      have like 6 inches of sidewall. so yes, sitting parked next to each other the
                      tires on yours will resemble thin little o-rings.

                      my brother had 315/30/20's on the rear of his shelby gt500, he broke a rear rim.
                      twice. and a front rim once. dang potholes....

                      ask any woman--those extra couple inches REALLY make a difference .

                      just pulling your chain, buddy. im sure you got enough inches to be ok......
                      Dan Barlow likes this.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

                        yes sir. and thats....maybe 2.5 inches, give or take? (sorry its 6am here,
                        to early to be mathing.) the 275/60/15 rears on the white vette in my avatar
                        have like 6 inches of sidewall. so yes, sitting parked next to each other the
                        tires on yours will resemble thin little o-rings.

                        my brother had 315/30/20's on the rear of his shelby gt500, he broke a rear rim.
                        twice. and a front rim once. dang potholes....

                        ask any woman--those extra couple inches REALLY make a difference .

                        just pulling your chain, buddy. im sure you got enough inches to be ok......
                        absolutely, I don't big sidewalls to compensate.....

                        let's help you with maths.... 27-20=7/2= 3.5.... any more then that and it'd be a 4x4.

                        So about that Mustang, that must really suck while you're running over crowds at Cars and Coffee to be sidelined by a little ole pothole.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post


                          So about that Mustang, that must really suck while you're running over crowds at Cars and Coffee to be sidelined by a little ole pothole.


                          hah hah, that was my brothers car and he used to blow a freaking gasket anytime someone
                          called it a mustang, screaming about how " it doesnt say mustang anywhere on the car or the
                          title, its not a mustang its a SHELBY GT500 COBRA and it cost $70K" !

                          talk about compensating. what a fa....ummmm, "person of questionable [email protected] tendancies"....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post



                            hah hah, that was my brothers car and he used to blow a freaking gasket anytime someone
                            called it a mustang, screaming about how " it doesnt say mustang anywhere on the car or the
                            title, its not a mustang its a SHELBY GT500 COBRA and it cost $70K" !s"....
                            I can only imagine the eruptions when you remind him that they were originally advertised as "secretary's cars"
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

                            Comment


                            • hes a teakettle--constantly blowing off steam, so he aint the one you
                              gotta worry bout. its the pressure cookers that are scary.........

                              Comment


                              • I'd tell him that if it Looks like a Mustang , body was built by Ford , then it's a MUSTANG ! Just because the GT500 that I was riding in ran 8 feet up a tree didn't make it a squirrel .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X