No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See: http://www.corvetteusa.com/C-2%20to%...Conversion.htm I've been doing odds & ends and the stainless brake line sets for these, we're looking to improve the front suspension swap with nicer fabricated frame stubs to splice in that will be an easier fit, look more pro (like a stock stamping, not rect. tubing etc.). But I've got a lot of work to do, it'll probably be a couple months. Might be nice to have someone install/race one and give some feedback this direction, although there's no plans to sell as a kit. The D44 on the other end is kinda a neat deal, with '82 centers and shortened shafts, stuff is pretty-much been worked out there.
    Last edited by Loren; February 16, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I've wondered why the other companies don't use the 82 center with the C4 outers - trying to get the bat wing from a C4 in a C3 is a challenge at best.

the timing is right, I'm not really starting on this until mid-summer - meaning, I'm quite interested. My wife is doing her K9 thing in Onterio in a couple weeks, I'm bored limo driver for part of that time - maybe I'll take the couple hour cruise south....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

under carriage shots

lots of leaks

I wonder what he hit....

the exhaust is also oval

bright side is they did a great job of protecting the underbody.... and I won't be using it anyway, so it's all good.

it really seems silly to me that the area under the cabin isn't cross braced..... so that is one of those things I'll add to this car.

Comment

Gonna convert to R&P steering? I sure liked the idea that Loren suggested!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Oh, it's all SBG's ideas, we here just happen to be a ways along a parallel path. Interestingly, modified/updated C3 Corvettes are in many cases fetching better money than originals now, fast fun.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              Gonna convert to R&P steering? I sure liked the idea that Loren suggested!
              at minimum, more likely I'll update the front suspension to a later C4 or C5 suspension (only narrower)

Comment

so here is the rear suspension I'm planning on using

and pictures of the bits....

and no, the stack isn't right - but it's the basic idea.

Comment

these are 6mm metal, (just under 1/4"), I used 5/16 so some notching is going to be needed

I know Drag Vette has a really nice six link set up for C2& C3. But, I saw somewhere someone made their own set up without the safety hoops and cool finish. This person used shortened stock strut rods for the upper links. It wasn't fancy but looked like it would work. I can't remember where I...

And what's funny, is there are some other designs out there that I like even more....

Comment

Certainly looks STOUT!

Dan

Comment

Wow..Who would've thought...
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

All those brackets look well made .This is going to be great .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm still trying to decide what motor. It didn't get any easier this last week, I got as trade a 4 bolt main 454, and have a steel 427 crank... I really, really liked my last C3 - the knuckle-dragging simple no PS, no power brakes, manual transmission, stupid-large cam, hard-riding car. It was the hardest-driving, slowest-fast-car I ever had and absolutely the most fun car I've ever owned... decisions. Do I make it daily-driveable or build another 'race' car for the street?

I don't need a DD and the only reason I sold the last one was because I didn't want to repaint it when I put the flares on it (that and the suspension was done - and I wanted rack and pinion and the guldstrand rear setup)

Comment

Trade that crank and block for an LS motor...you could go old school with a distributor and carb, and get as much power as a big block in a lighter, love to wind package... available from 292 to 454 plus cubes...
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; March 25, 2017, 04:07 PM.
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              I'm still trying to decide what motor. It didn't get any easier this last week, I got as trade a 4 bolt main 454, and have a steel 427 crank... I really, really liked my last C3 - the knuckle-dragging simple no PS, no power brakes, manual transmission, stupid-large cam, hard-riding car. It was the hardest-driving, slowest-fast-car I ever had and absolutely the most fun car I've ever owned... decisions. Do I make it daily-driveable or build another 'race' car for the street?

I don't need a DD and the only reason I sold the last one was because I didn't want to repaint it when I put the flares on it (that and the suspension was done - and I wanted rack and pinion and the guldstrand rear setup)

With an LS motor, you can build have both race-car levels of power and something that is happy being driven every day. If you need any help with figuring that out, let me know and I'm there.
                              1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                              1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

I thought the denali motor was going in . I think that would be the best choice after warming it up a bit . For handling . But I probably lean a little more towards the big block with aluminum heads . My knuckles drag a little though . I kind of wish I had not let my kid have my 87 and had just put a T56 and a big block in it .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X