No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I followed the same ideas, until I saw what a junkyard 4.8 does with a little boost!!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      I followed the same ideas, until I saw what a junkyard 4.8 does with a little boost!!

i would never put a 'junkyard motor' in ANY of my cars
      without going through it first. if youre going through it
      then cost usually becomes somewhat of a concern.

plus, have you seen what a basically stock rebuilt 454-
      stock pistons, rods, crank, etc, basically just re-ring &
      re-bearing it, add a cam, can do with or without boost?

again, just my opinion--i want to spend my money where
      it makes the biggest bang for the buck. since a 454 core
      is $250-$400 and a LS core is $3000-$5000 here.....
      its sort of a no brainer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
        The way I see it (and, just the way I see it), if you use updated suspension, to where you have to use those new-style very negative offset rims, you're good with the LS update too. Kinda works as a package. An old-school Rat motor car should have the old-school positive-offset deep-dish wheels in which case your stuck with the antique rear-steer-frontend suspension or some variation of it. You could use the old suspension and new motor, sort-of, with some conflict, but why? as the old suspension is the first thing you would normally think about getting rid of (I have verified that the seventies 'Vette a-arms are the exact same stampings as the '59 Impala, turned backwards...sorta ugly-weird deal) . I shouldn't talk because my car has been sitting there unloved for years, but my choice has been to go old-timey w/ the 8" Rallys (and old suspension) and the Rat and suffer the consequenses, it won't be as fast or get much mpg but for a chrome-bumper car I'll like it more and I wanna hear that 454 thump. If it were a '75-up car I might be thinking about it differently. Of-course the rear end could be made to work with either type wheel but up front, if you want the front-steer and rack-and-pinion, you have to use the new-style wheels then as I said at first you might-as-well go whole-hog with the LS.

Am I rambling?

maybe, but I like your point about choosing a single theme... not sure I'll take it as I really want rack and pinion... but it is a good point. something to consider, though, is this will look like a chrome bumper car because the flares I'm putting on it change the nose and the tail - if I really wanted to be specific, there's a race car from the day that had the rubber nose with the chrome rear - it was a bbc 427....

a knuckle-dragging pseudo race car is where it seems to be heading - they are becoming very popular and a friend of mine is doing that very treatment to his, he's also using sharkbite and rack and pinion with a 427 SBC.... I dunno if I really want a no-interior car, but losing weight and adding bbc power - the race track doesn't care what the power is, and torque is an amazing thing
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I really like the idea of a sbc 427... lots of potential and lightweight!
          Last edited by silver_bullet; May 22, 2017, 05:18 AM.
          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I see a C3 and I hope it has a BBC, just saying.
            Unless it's a late model C3, then I see something with almost as much power as my 4cyl diesel :D

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
              Unless it's a late model C3, then I see something with almost as much power as my 4cyl diesel :D

yep, the factory "hi-output" L82 in my '78 vette
              with all 220 thundering horsepower quickly was
              replaced with a nasty MK-IV rat motor.

problem solved. im pretty sure it now makes at
              least as much power as your 4cylinder diesel...

i think the L48 was even worse, with 180hp--if that...

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                I see a C3 and I hope it has a BBC, just saying.

1975 was the last year of BBC, but they were nothing to write home about. These days, the easiest thing in the world is to get more power in a C3 Corvette.... and will probably be a BBC in my case.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 28, 2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

As I have mentioned before... we may all have our opinions, but the final decision must be yours....
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    These days, the easiest thing in the world is to get more power in a C3 Corvette.... and will probably be a BBC in my case.

i have the weirdest b*ner right now....
                    Last edited by fatguyzinc; May 28, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

aluminum head, 427 ci, solid cam, BBC is coming to this space soon. Of course, given the management's hatred of old things - you never know, I could get banned for such blasphemy. The worst part will be the manual transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        https://youtu.be/rslOnBazxUU

I really like the idea of a sbc 427... lots of potential and lightweight!

So my neighbor and friend Regis is doing a SBC 427 for his C3... it will be interesting to compare the two when they're done. I think the bbc 427 will take the SBC's lunch and dinner money because the semi-hemi heads on the BBC flow so much better.... with aluminum heads, the BBC weighs about 50 lbs more.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 2, 2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a BBC 427.... the road racers did well with them back in the day... tons of torque out of the corners and power to top end like no one else!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

best of all, I should beat my all time best-lowest-mpg of any vehicle

Comment

aluminum head, 427 ci, solid cam, BBC is coming to this space soon. Of course, given the management's hatred of old things - you never know, I could get banned for such blasphemy. The worst part will be the manual transmission.
                              the fastest street car i ever rode in was my friend leon's
                              69 vette, 427 BBC, 11-1, 304/.612/108 isky, tunnelram
                              and 2 600cfm carbs, muncie M21, 4.40 gear with 4" sidepipes.

when he nailed it midway through 2nd gear, it was like that scene
                              in starwars where the millenium falcon makes the jump to lightspeed...

seriously SERIOUSLY scary fast..........

Comment

best of all, I should beat my all time best-lowest-mpg of any vehicle
                                i dunno-- my white vette with 461", 292-.595/108, single 750
                                and RPM intake, 2400 stall and 3.73 gear gets an honest 14.5mpg
                                at 50mph... no O/D, its a th350.

it does get like 10mpg around town though...still, considering
                                what it is and how rowdy it sounds, thats acceptable to me.

its also VERY scary fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X