Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Loren View Post

...here's the main thing, they appear to be (and would have to be) using their own "upright", built especially for this with pivot points ........

those really really REALLY look like a knockoff of a C6 corvette front spindle.....
    i would need to have one in each hand to make sure, but...
    it sure looks like one!
    Last edited by fatguyzinc; August 16, 2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Can't speak for the other features but the tie rod pivot out on the steering arm is lower and much further in to lower the rack position and to make correct ackermann angle for the rear-steer. Front-steer C4-up have the tie rod mount further "out", say, as seen from above, and the rack mounts up in front of the crank damper.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

those really really REALLY look like a knockoff of a C6 corvette front spindle.....
        i would need to have one in each hand to make sure, but...
        it sure looks like one!

I think you're right - rattling around in my head is their statement that they used the spindle and unitized bearings from a C6

one thing interesting from the Flaming River site is that 2011-2015 Mustang racks are non-power and a good option.... I had no idea but I'm going to have to look and see if it's rear steer and what its dimensions are.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 16, 2017, 10:53 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          Loren.... this

is the DSE front suspension. Note how they made brackets to shorten the upper control arm? I'm seriously considering copying the idea (though I'm cutting the brackets off). What do you think the upper to lower ratio is (length of upper control arm to lower control arm)? of course, if I hit the lottery I'll be spending the 6k for this - sorry Ryan at Ridetech, I like you but I think this is several orders of magnitude better then what you offer....
          Just a quick question . Is this a subframe that is made for the C3 or is it made for a 1st or a 2nd gen Camaro that they are famous for that your thinking of adapting to your vette .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• My opinion is leaning to the C3
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• the parts bolt onto a stock, C3 frame.

Comment

• Thanks
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I think you're right - rattling around in my head is their statement that they used the spindle (...) from a C6
                  The spindle/bearing assy (why not) maybe but not the aluminum upright. From http://www.detroitspeed.com/1963-196...speed-ray.html

DSE aluminum uprights.

No way would stockers work. These look to me to be custom pieces made to be most ideal to work with the C2/3 frame pivot points/possible pivot points and rear steer. Probably part of why the DSE kit is so pricey, maybe I'll give 'em a call for more info.

One thing interesting from the Flaming River site is that 2011-2015 Mustang racks are non-power and a good option.... I had no idea but I'm going to have to look and see if it's rear steer and what its dimensions are.
                  All R&P Mustangs are front steer. Since 'way back mostly only FWD cars get rear-steers, to get the rack out of where the engine needs to go.

Am I getting annoying yet? Don't mean to be, just that I've got a lot of time into this sort of thing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE Corv upright.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1170602
                  Last edited by Loren; August 16, 2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post

The spindle/bearing assy (why not) maybe but not the aluminum upright. From http://www.detroitspeed.com/1963-196...speed-ray.html

DSE aluminum uprights.

No way would stockers work. These look to me to be custom pieces made to be most ideal to work with the C2/3 frame pivot points/possible pivot points and rear steer. Probably part of why the DSE kit is so pricey, maybe I'll give 'em a call for more info.

All R&P Mustangs are front steer. Since 'way back mostly only FWD cars get rear-steers, to get the rack out of where the engine needs to go.

Am I getting annoying yet? Don't mean to be, just that I've got a lot of time into this sort of thing...

[ATTACH]n1170602[/ATTACH]

not annoying at all (maybe try harder? ) - I looked up Muffstang stuff today and came to the same conclusion.... though I disagree on the spindles - I think those are C6 simply swapped sides to make rear steer.

That DSE kit has some nice stuff with it. Coil overs and the sway bar by themselves is a couple grand. Fabricated uppers and lowers are $500 each..... then there's all the rest of that like the rack, $1000, ends, ball joints, and time is valuable, even if it is our hobby time.... I think 6k is a smoking-good deal for what you get. I think, though, I can do better because I'm not limited to stock mounting points (which I believe all of those points are)....

what would be cool would be put the sway bar behind the spindles, then use that space to make it front steer. be a hell of a long steering rod. I also think the front suspension needs to move about 1/2" forward so that might depth charge the idea of a traditional front suspension.....

suspension time... I suspect that we've both spent way too much time on Corvette suspensions
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 16, 2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I think those are C6 simply swapped sides to make rear steer.
                      Check Ackermann angle...wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry Pic shows a rear-steer layout, a front steer would also have the tie rod pivots still in-line and thus 'way wider out. No way can rear-steer uprights be simply swapped for front-steer, unless the steering arm bolts on and can be changed to correct Ackermann (as with early Camaro/early Chevelle). Also, see DSE logo on side of uprights, previous pic...those are special parts. There are chassis designs that don't pay too much attention to this (old cars, drag cars) but with the fat low-profile low slip-angle tires now, have the Ackermann too far off and you won't be able to back out of a parking space with much grace.

I think 6k is a smoking-good deal for what you get. I think, though,
                      I agree, if you got the bucks...there have been times I would happily step up to that. (This sorta ain't one of them though.) Lots of nice work there.

I suspect that we've both spent way too much time on Corvette suspensions
                      Yeah maybe... Here's some front frame rail components to swap in a C4 setup straight over, but for "mid-years" only at this point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07303.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1170611
                      Last edited by Loren; August 16, 2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Stuff is gonna get real

Comment

• C6 spindles

DSE .... sure the arms are different, but they bolt on - you can tell Mr. Ackermann to go stuff himself :D

as I said, I've spent WAY too much time on this...

Comment

Stuff is gonna get real
                            Purdy!

Dan

Comment

• got the intake back after a .075 shave

set a carb on top mostly because I have a carb to set on top.... though it won't work as you see because it's got a boost referenced power valve
                              did some shimming to see if I could get away with .060 gaskets. Yes, yes I can

Once I get the gaskets, I'll start huffing aluminum.... I'm not excited to start this phase.

Comment

• *mutters under breath, shoots dirty look at
                                2x4 intake thats still sitting in the same spot
                                as last time.*

Comment

Working...
                                X