No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I worked on the motor a bit yesterday - mostly I decided to leave the heads alone then simply blend the intake into the ports.

the line illustrates about how much I need to take off. I have gaskets coming tomorrow (I don't need to shave the intake) then I'll blend and get to work assembling this little beastie
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• a question - how does FGZ fit into a 78 seat? it's like spandex only tighter for the larger of the species.....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        a question - how does FGZ fit into a 78 seat? it's like spandex only tighter for the larger of the species.....
        Click image for larger version

Name:	yolo-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1171512

Comment

• It's a tough fight, but I beat it too.

Comment

• talking a machinist yesterday (the one who shaved the heads and the intake) he suggested simply hogging out the holes
            the problem

see the threads on the lower side? need to open up the hole so that doesn't happen
            grind grind grind

looks like it worked

I need to do a bit of minor port matching, but it worked (yay, saved $200 in machine work)

Comment

• Wow. Those lined up nicely. Did you plan that?
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Wow. Those lined up nicely. Did you plan that?

blind squirrel and nuts.... thousand monkeys and Shakespeare .... of course I planned it, why do you ask?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  a question - how does FGZ fit into a 78 seat? it's like spandex only tighter for the larger of the species.....
                  on that note, ask the ladies----why are fat guys like mopeds?

fun to ride. yet, STILL embarrassing when your friends found out
                  youve been riding one....

Comment

• well, i FINALLY got 3 seconds free, so i did
                    the rear end fill (needed posi additive, was starting to chatter
                    around corners...) and engine oil/filter...ahhh, 1 step closer
                    to getting that #%&@!!!! 2x4 manifold & carbs on......

Comment

• so now we know what the springs are.... not enough

my new spring tester

Comment

• But it's almost Fall!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          But it's almost Fall!

Dan
                          nowadays we validate spring - have to do it early so that if changes need made or a government agency is a bit slow it won't delay it.

Comment

• Good plan!

Dan

Comment

• to answer the question of if these springs will work... no, 350# springs

modified my spring compressor to make it more useful.... and it is

Comment

• Good news, meh news..... good news is the springs on the iron heads are 485 lb springs

bad news is the locks are for 3/8 valves

and the aluminum valves are 11/32

I may come back later and do a mea culpa* when I should have swapped to brand-name 3/8 valves... but I'm not going to - I blow it up and those higher-compression pistons I was thinking I would upgrade to will become a necessity - remember, I'm at 10.5:1 compression and I want at least 12:1... that said, the hot rod swap meet happens before race season restarts so those valves could happen still.... good thing I'm using a reuseable head gasket

*which is me saying "convince me to simply update now"... I think it'll be fine as long as I don't use this in anger - but I think those chinese valves with 11/32 stems are almost a guaranteed boom.... though I've kept sketchier things together by just practicing a bit of restraint...
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 31, 2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X