Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I'll never understand why people make corvettes into dragsters because they weigh so much and have such short wheelbase there are far better options... not that I care that people do, it's their car, but not something I'd ever do.
    how much does yours weigh? mine scales at 3340 with the iron big block.
    (manual steering, headlight converson, removal of un-neccessary stuff, etc...)
    thats far FAR less than a new camaro, hellcat, 94-96 impala ss, fullsize 73-87
    chevy trucks, or countless other things people hotrod.

the short wheelbase does make em squirrely. thats half the fun! and arent
    you going for more of a 'top end' charger than a drag race special? even
    MORE so you dont want a short wheelbase, high speed stability gets better
    with longer wheelbase/more caster, right? i mean, you could 'crutch' it by
    dialing in 6-8 degrees + caster--but the same holds true in a drag race
    situation.

as for my reasons--mines a street car. i may do an occasional 0-60mph blast
    in an impromptu drag race, or a roll-on from 50 to maybe 100 on the freeway.
    just for a second or two, however.

theres never anytime im going to hold it flat out for a mile or more. there
    isnt any room, #1. and #2 i may get a ticket burning out, or in extreme cases
    i might get arrested. if you get caught doing a 'cannonball run' here, you ARE 100%
    going to jail, car impounded and auctioned off or crushed, and losing your license
    for the rest of your life.

not knocking your build, just saying. you asked why. thats why.
    there are, as you said, far better choices to make a hotrod, dragster, or
    landspeed record setter out of than a vette......

Comment

• The first time I ever sat in a Corvette, and then even drove it a little (it was at an auto auction for dealers, I was 19? and not supposed to be there), I felt like an astronaut. (Keep in mind I'd started out with some pretty clunky-looking cars.) That would be why I would make a drag car out of a Corvette. Let's launch!

Anyhow, each to their own odd experience/fantasy. (I know I'm giving up some material to work with there with that statement... )

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
        ......... each to their own odd experience/fantasy. (I know I'm giving up some material to work with there with that statement... )

i have no idea what youre talking about. none of us would ever take that ball and run with it....

and by the way, wanna buy a bridge?

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

how much does yours weigh? mine scales at 3340 with the iron big block.
          (manual steering, headlight converson, removal of un-neccessary stuff, etc...)
          thats far FAR less than a new camaro, hellcat, 94-96 impala ss, fullsize 73-87
          chevy trucks, or countless other things people hotrod.

the short wheelbase does make em squirrely. thats half the fun! and arent
          you going for more of a 'top end' charger than a drag race special? even
          MORE so you dont want a short wheelbase, high speed stability gets better
          with longer wheelbase/more caster, right? i mean, you could 'crutch' it by
          dialing in 6-8 degrees + caster--but the same holds true in a drag race
          situation.

as for my reasons--mines a street car. i may do an occasional 0-60mph blast
          in an impromptu drag race, or a roll-on from 50 to maybe 100 on the freeway.
          just for a second or two, however.

theres never anytime im going to hold it flat out for a mile or more. there
          isnt any room, #1. and #2 i may get a ticket burning out, or in extreme cases
          i might get arrested. if you get caught doing a 'cannonball run' here, you ARE 100%
          going to jail, car impounded and auctioned off or crushed, and losing your license
          for the rest of your life.

not knocking your build, just saying. you asked why. thats why.
          there are, as you said, far better choices to make a hotrod, dragster, or
          landspeed record setter out of than a vette......

my 1964 Buick Wagon weighs in at 2400 lbs with nothing removed. Corvette, 3600.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• time to clean the underneath

then the long part, dry it

finally got the guides so tomorrow night I may be able to finish assembly of the long block - of course, the other plan is to paint the underside

Comment

• i didnt realize the thermostat went in from the bottom like that........

Comment

i dunno...my brothers 67 camaro is 2880. i dont see 2 more doors plus
                a roof and assorted bracing plus longer wheelbase etc being 500lbs less.....

Comment

i dunno...my brothers 67 camaro is 2880. i dont see 2 more doors plus
                  a roof and assorted bracing plus longer wheelbase etc being 500lbs less.....

you sound like my wife when she's arguing with the scale.... just sayin'

Comment

• 57 sedan delivery with plywood interior, 3100# with small block, 4 speed...

Comment

​I think you're being more than a little optimistic on the Buick Skylark Wagon - reality is it weighs the same or more than your Corvette (in stock form)
                      Shipping weight: 1621 kg / 3573 lbs
                      Curb weight estimated: 1680 kg / 3700 lbs

Comment

• really? is there where we're going? nothing irritates me faster then some blowhard coming onto a thread quoting published numbers rather then real-world experience. Those same numbers, consider this - my Buick Skylark, 1970, 455, full interior car went across the truck scales at 3167.... never mind that its "shipping weight" was over 4000 lbs.

So unless your next words include proof with a tare slip, the door is that way ------> use it.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 19, 2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

you sound like my wife when she's arguing with the scale.... just sayin'
                          as long as i dont LOOK like your wife when shes arguing with the scale.....

by that i mean for your sake, as long as your wife doenst look like ME, then its
                          all good sister....

Comment

as long as i dont LOOK like your wife when shes arguing with the scale.....

she doesn't wear hammock thongs, so I guess you have a point there.

Comment

she doesn't wear hammock thongs, so I guess you have a point there.

you mean you DONT like my plum smuggler?!?!?!!
                              im so hurt......

(no, its not me. just a pic i went and found JUST FOR YOU...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	yikes.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1177280
                              Last edited by fatguyzinc; October 19, 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• MY EYES!!!!!! I'll never unsee that.....

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X