Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
    Not a problem . We are spend your money . Now if you have a problem with that arrangement then that is going to slow this project down in more ways than one . ( giggling on the side lines )

you folks are just catching up on that front - I've been considering using all C5 under this car with a modified center section on the back... since I'm putting flares, why not just (yeah, I even use that term) widen the track? if you note the wheelbase, 4" wider front and 8" wider rear is actually just a touch wider then what is on a stock c5

I'll save you google

C3 58.3 wide
    C5 62.0 wide
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 21, 2017, 06:44 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• and some pictures

Comment

• just one of the people who I listen to....

Comment

• While I am good naturedly being a little selfish hoping you do lots of fabricating to put newer stuff under the old cars frame , what about just buying a debodied C5 or 6 and setting your body over it ? Seems like it would be easier .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Like adapting a Coke bottle to a frying pan. Architecture is all-over-the-place different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
              Like adapting a Coke bottle to a frying pan. Architecture is all-over-the-place different.

then it's exactly what I should do

with that said, I'm not changing the width, just the wheelbase.... it is better then clean sheet design - just sayin'

Comment

While I am good naturedly being a little selfish hoping you do lots of fabricating to put newer stuff under the old cars frame , what about just buying a debodied C5 or 6 and setting your body over it ? Seems like it would be easier .

it wouldn't for a whole bunch of reasons - most notable is that rear-mounted transmission. the C5 moved the wheels back from the driver to accommodate the movement of the transmission. I won't use any of the center - what helps is the C5 is still a frame-based car, granted the passenger compartment is a shell, but the rear differential and the front frame horns can be dismounted and used in other set ups. Follow the threads with the other shop - they did exactly what I'm proposing on a 69 Camaro. To me that would be harder since there is no frame.

Comment

• My youngest son owns my old red vette and he threw in the towel when the trans went out and just bought another vette . Well if he can't sell the thing for a 1000 bucks , I'm going to lengthen the framw ( probably in the front behind the front wheels and set a 67 -72 C10 on it. But I'm really hoping he sells it . I really need a suburban more than a short bed truck.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

My youngest son owns my old red vette and he threw in the towel when the trans went out and just bought another vette . Well if he can't sell the thing for a 1000 bucks , I'm going to lengthen the framw ( probably in the front behind the front wheels and set a 67 -72 C10 on it. But I'm really hoping he sells it . I really need a suburban more than a short bed truck.
                    If you can stretch it for a C10, Why not stretch it a bit farther for the burbs? Sorry about the hijack SBG
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      If you can stretch it for a C10, Why not stretch it a bit farther for the burbs? Sorry about the hijack SBG

no worries, at least it isn't a slingshot bikini.... FGZ *smh* nice guy but something just ain't right in that boy.

because it's designed for a 3000 lb car not a 6000 lb truck? rack and pinion steering has had trouble with heavier applications, it's out there, but putting such a system under a truck would be asking for problems.

of course, putting a C4 suspension under a C3 is a well-worn path to greatness....
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 22, 2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Understood.....
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• The C10 short bed I'm sure I could get within the weight constraints . And a open bed would come in handy for the trips to Home Depot , but I really want a old 77- 88 suburban all the lockable cargo and 4 wheel drive . I really don't need another low slung two seater . You now lemonaid out of lemons .
                          Sorry for the derail as well . Thanks for humoring us .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Son sold the vette today . The family was up to 4 and now we are down to two . Finally got time to check out the link . Wow . Where are they ? Nascar , North Carolina ? Very impressive stuff AND THEY HAVE A C4 CORVETTE !
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Suburbans... I have a bunch - it's not like they rust or anything

Comment

• so a bit got done. First was get the balancer on - which meant taking it off because it wasn't fitting correctly

now it does and brake clean does wonders getting the paint off

I'm glad I test-fit the headers - I need to get medieval on this header otherwise the plug doesn't come out

I also did some test fitting

why have a box when you can have a sexy, shapely girl?

basically it's just sitting on there - so now I can daydream on how it all will fit together.

and some fitting is required (a lot)

How I ended up with 2 shifters is a mystery to me - but it's good because wretched excess is a good start.

Comment

Working...
                                X