Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Bob, I've met you and there is DEFINITELY at least 1 hole in your head, maybe more.

Dan
    The on on my shoulders definitely has 7 if not more holes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
      uh-oh, you asked for it...

With an old-style external pump feeding a carb at 15 psi or so I'd look to up the fuel line diameter to half-inch, which it looks like you'd have to make up as I don't see anybody selling pre-made lines. Stainless half-inch (if you wanted that over steel) gets to be a bitch to work with and a good bender for that is hard to find also, I have one I had to make myself 'cause a purchased one kinked the line due to too-tight radius. Not to mention, bending up those lines with the body installed will probably be an awful job unless you really enjoy bending lines up (I sorta do, sick-o). The Chall has 5/8 lines, aluminum line was the only choice for line and I do not like aluminum fuel lines on the street! Street-driven cars see hazards a race car never will including freeway trash and lots of use over time.

But...

If you were to go with a fuel-injection-type in-tank pump w/ 50 psi or something like that, 3/8 is plenty enough diameter for the hp...see what this guy says: http://ipgparts.com/blog/fuel-line-s...ize-do-i-need/ You'd need the usual return system, when you get to the motor have a f.i. regulator and return line originate from there, then dead-head out the carb line with an 8 psi (or whatever) regulator on the way.

Just buying two pre-bent fuel lines and tweaking them around to run parallel should work or at-least be a good start, if no one sells a supply/return set already.

An important plus w/ above scheme, if you switch to f.i. later, you're already set. The negative is, again, doing all this with the body installed, including the fuel tank mods or swap will be a project in itself. The one I did a few months ago using a Tanks Inc. tank and pump/tank plate had some pretty odd bending to do to make lines work, I'd have hated to have to mess with that and work around the body too.

Fuzzy pic below: looks simple 'til you deal with the fuel tank hold-down which has to thread in there where the stamped depression on the left is, why the line that takes off to the left is where it is, the supplied tank plate really ran the two things smack into each other. . There needs to be a tank vent in there somewhere too.

I suppose that all this would be easier if you were to be accepting use of flex line around the tank area. I kinda avoid the stuff except at the motor, but that may be just personal preference/paranoia as much as anything. [ATTACH]n1177769[/ATTACH]

I did ask for it and that's a good answer.... that said, I'm probably going to use something a long the (pun alert) lines of this....

Free Shipping - Russell Complete Carbureted Fuel System Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Fuel System Pump Kits at Summit Racing.

no fuel injection, this one is going to be knuckle dragging, the next car, the one with the 427 LS motor will get that stuff

as far as lines - shielded lines that can take a hit seems like it'd actually be safer then hard line.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 24, 2017, 09:41 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Wish I could run that on my 57! Got the ugly "off the #1 exhaust header bolts" one. No holes on my heads.

I'm trying to decide how I'm going to dechrome it....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'm trying to decide how I'm going to dechrome it....
          Scotchbrite red/brown pad and paint?

Comment

• sigh - I'm not sure about doing an L88 hood.... it will be a lot of work, all to look like everyone else

but I did get a good deal on a 454 hood off a 74 - a beat up hood, but a hood with badges

you can take the hick out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the hick

I still know how to put a car on tires

dagnabit, 2 leakers

getting ready for paint

thankfully I didn't have to remove the rivets

I feel so ricey doing this

Comment

• 700hp and carbs will work. see bob glidden's fairmont pro stocker from the 80's?
              dual holley "blue" pumps and that car went 7's. just saying, it CAN be done.

im CERTAIN you will figure out what it takes. dont forget that you dont HAVE to
              'over-engineer' things either, sometimes the simple old way still works GREAT.........

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                700hp and carbs will work. see bob glidden's fairmont pro stocker from the 80's?
                dual holley "blue" pumps and that car went 7's. just saying, it CAN be done.

im CERTAIN you will figure out what it takes. dont forget that you dont HAVE to
                'over-engineer' things either, sometimes the simple old way still works GREAT.........
                and sometimes the old way is simply because some old guy doesn't want to admit he was wrong... the quickest way to failure is to not ask the dispenser of wisdom "why" if their answer a personal attack - ignore that person's advice because they're utterly full of crap and the only way they are right is by accident.

the fits and starts of car building. I ordered the new rotors, waited a week, got 4 front rotors 2 driver side, 2 passenger side.... and before someone pipes up they are the same, they're not. You might be able to put rear rotors on the front, but the manufacturers do not machine the e-brake drum inside the wheel.... also, to be really technical - when they machine the rears, the 'hat' section of the rotor is thinner. You can shim the caliper on some cars.... but it's not optimal.

no start this week... sigh....
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 26, 2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Could be worse...you could be building a MOPAR....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Damn...😑
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      Could be worse...you could be building a MOPAR....

so true

Comment

• ebay sellers

first - oops we mislabeled.
                        then
                        the labels are right, send them back..
                        I ask
                        which one?
                        they say... oh wait, those are the right ones.
                        where are the

when we need them?

Comment

• fortunately, paint sticks...
                          the suspension is officially rebuilt

as were the hubs

and the rear differential

all in one night.... I'm good.

Comment

• So I've chosen a direction. Alan said, once, on Corvette Forum that there really wasn't enough of a difference between old vs. new. I'm going to capitalize the next words because they're important I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE, MOST ESPECIALLY NOT ALAN, OUT. I suspect he's right but I want to see for myself. After all, my entire reason for building cars is to learn as I go. I've built a Corvette with EFI, tubular arms and basically upgraded stock suspension. I loved how it handled. This one goes back in time. It will get poly because there really is no rational argument against it for what I do. When it comes to handling everything I build is meant to operate at 10/10ths - I don't care about stock, I honestly couldn't care less how it handles because it bores me, as some might remember, I had a chance to own a stock 1975 C3 and said no thank you.

Next up will be a LS powered C3 Corvette. I may not build it for myself, there are a couple people who are interested in me building something with Detroit-speed-level parts and a hyper-LS motor. I'm game since it'd pay to finish my 50 Buick.... still, it's going to be the 'next-ish' build. between all of this I want to make the Wagon run and the Fiat run.

anyway, hope you all enjoy the ride and the direction.

Comment

• Can't wait to see the results!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Oh , I can wait for the final results . Once its final the fun of watching is over . Just keep on working on it .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X