No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty bad when. Dealership can't put in a Light bulb..
    Me? Can't get them out sometimes!

Comment

• it's a dumb design, but yes they're a bunch of monkeys.... you have to unplug wiring from the socket (and it's a double lock) to get it to go in
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• a bit of progress

I wonder if they ever made a hose that fit....

Comment

• Of course not!
          Would not be called Rodding If they did!

Comment

• Just call me the sidepipe messiah. If I had a dollar for each I convinced people to install, I'd have enough for one, maybe two cups of starbux coffee..... yeah, two!

Comment

• Must have that fabled silver tongue?...

Comment

• He is, after all, a counselor....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  He is, after all, a wise, sidepipe-suggesting counselor....
                  there, fixt it for you.

Comment

• Tanks....
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Upper radiator hose installed (and lower, not shown)

PTFE fuel line - still waiting on parts from Summit, more then a little annoyed about their lackluster response

take 1 on the radiator support

now in steel

bit of shear work and press brake action and we have something that looks reasonable

next up weld it then paint it so it's pretty
                      as an aside, I can't believe how well that 2000 Impala fan set works for this application

Comment

• Me either, but, I guess it's a case of "if it fits....."
                        I'm liking it!
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• ..."I can't believe how well that 2000 Impala fan set works for this application"....

hopefully it will have enough CFM to keep that 427 cool-- i mean, it was
                          designed for something litterally half that size.... and so far every 'lectric fan
                          i tried on tighty whitey ended up in the trash- taurus SHO, viper, lincoln MKVIII,
                          ebay specials, twin spal 11 inchers, etc... i think i went through $1000+ worth
                          of electric fans in 3 months.

none would keep my motor under 200 degrees for more than 25-40 minutes of driving.
                          hopefully yours works better than my attempts, i ended up with a 17" flexalite
                          p.o.s. plastic fan and a 1.5" spacer (no fan clutch) in the stock shroud.

190 degrees max even in 2+hours of gnarly rush hour traffic. i would have had to
                          shut it off after half an hour with any of the previous electric fans, as once they got over
                          200 degrees it wouldnt stop climbing- 205, 210, 215, 220, 225, 230, 235, yikes...
                          time to shut it down!

i was so afraid id end up blowing a head gasket i would never let it get over 235 or so.

Comment

• It'll be fine. I ran two fans without any shround - both 14" - and the motor never got above 190*. In this case, one fan is 15" the other 18" and both are two speed fans.... not just that, but it's got a shroud that fits perfect (well, after cutting the tabs off and doing a notch or two....

Comment

• Used to run Taurus fans in the derby cars.. Smallish radiator, Taurus fan, keeps it cool enough till the fan motor gets grounded.. 30 min of wide open, let off, wide again, let off.. I'm sure these 'pala fans will be more than enough.. Think I'll find a pair for the kid's 455 powered 65 Skylark..

Comment

• on a single core radiator, it wouldn't cool the BBC - but this isn't a single core.... not just that but I'm not pulling through an AC core or cooling an automatic transmission. Eventually I'll add coolers to everything starting with the engine oil... cooling will not be a problem.

so let's add some numbers. Each fan flows 1864 cfm at low speed and up to 2500 cfm at full song, it uses 14.5 or 20 amps depending on the speed. not just that but the GM fan is capable of being run at 24 volts.

let's compare and contrast - that engine driven fan, 2500 -3000 cfm. I think I'll be okay....
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 6, 2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X