No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first step tonight, finish welding the radiator support and paint... though the first step of painting was warm the metal up from 20 degrees (the shop temp)

time to start making this permanent

wait, did I put this in correctly?

yep

clearly a pro
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• also as you can see from the tail panel, I'm starting to figure out how all this goes together and came to the conclusion I really need to take the other rear quarter off... I was planning on doing a video, so I may do part of the video .... we'll see, Clecos arrived today so I can really start getting on getting them fitted.

I could have replaced the shell with a 72 shell someone is trying to sell near me ... I think had I did this knowing now what I know, that would have been the better.... and that makes me think perhaps I'm overthinking this.... pictures tomorrow of what I'm thinking...
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 21, 2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• My next thing.... I like this video except I worry about introducing wax anywhere near the adhesive. For that reason, I think I'm going to fasten it first with clecos then, once the fender is on (and the epoxy is still soft), I'll use zip screws to hold it together while its bonding...

outside of that difference, this is a pretty good video on how to bond fenders.... also it's a pretty cool build

Comment

• so an update. One thing I appreciate about fiberglass is close is absolutely good enough and a good sign you're overthinking the process

first step... use the old fender as template to get it within 1/4" of where it needs to be

this allows me to determine where the front edge is - once that's determined, it really doesn't matter what the rear-most edge does - well it does, but if it's wrong you're going to have to fix it rather then refit

mark

we interrupt this flare with a note that the tank is being a pain lining up and unlike the fiberglass work, it has to be better then close

next step is to cleco the panel on

then drill holes in the flare so that it goes where the old fender fit

and voila

front fender got some work, but I have a long, long ways to go

same method to get it close

and the marker light is hitting the inner fender....

ah well, it's closer but back to the back

originally I thought I'd leave this side until I got the other side.... that won't work because I need to fit the rear panel at the same time as the quarters

so chisel out the bondo

heat and separate

I have about the front 10" to finish loosening, and the vertical then it's off.... I was losing patience so it became time to stop

what it looks like from the back

Comment

• Cool Beans Brother!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Just wondering , Are you going with chrome bumpers on the back and a soft front like a 73 ?
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• nope.... no bumpers on the back, fiberglass nose on the front.... and eliminating about 400# of crash protection

Comment

• oooooooooh shiny...............
                  just kidding. been there/done that, so i know it aint NEARLY
                  as easy as youre making it look. good job buddy--as usual.

i have yet to see ANYTHING youve done that didnt impress me.
                  wife says i got a serious case of man crush going on.
                  i told her to shuttup and go make me a sandwich......

the doctor says i may be able to see out of my right eye in a
                  few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                    oooooooooh shiny...............
                    just kidding. been there/done that, so i know it aint NEARLY
                    as easy as youre making it look. good job buddy--as usual.

i have yet to see ANYTHING youve done that didnt impress me.
                    wife says i got a serious case of man crush going on.
                    i told her to shuttup and go make me a sandwich......

the doctor says i may be able to see out of my right eye in a
                    few weeks.

you really need to be sure your reflexes are faster then your lip. Trust me on this.

Comment

• The bulges that are on the body, under the bumpers , you going to take them down or just leave them like the old road race cars did . (hoping you take them down , you've shown you have the skills .)
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• I still have to grind the bonding strips flat - it's going to be black, quite likely a combination of semi-gloss with gloss black stripes.... no parade cars here

Comment

• It'll look pretty sinister.........be pretty wicked . In a good way.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• and it's off.... thought not in one piece

outline

and tacked on

but wait, why higher on the other side?

time to get the rear in position because it sets everything else

more cutting and lining up to do....

and the tail needs to go in to the line

Anyway, happy New Year everyone

Comment

• You have a lot of nerve and confidence to take such a nice body and do that to it . I was planning to re-skin my old red one before they offered me 3 times what I paid for it cause I figured I had nothing to lose . But man , you started with a pretty nice car !
                              Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 31, 2017, 11:18 PM.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• It looked far better in pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X