Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
    Looks well handled. I have made up large differences in what-was vs. what-is-desired by spraying on insulation foam, grinding it to shape minus a bit then 'glassing over that.

Sooner or later one of these cars is gonna turn out so good that you'll wanna keep it...
    it'll be purely accidental, I assure you ;)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      chop out some flat stock, tape so the fiberglass doesn't stick too badly.
      probably aware of this, but if you use duct tape the fiberglass won't stick at all (I've had it stick to painters tape when I've spread it further than planned.....) I've lined simple molds with duct tape in the past when I was too lazy to do it the right way lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post

probably aware of this, but if you use duct tape the fiberglass won't stick at all (I've had it stick to painters tape when I've spread it further than planned.....) I've lined simple molds with duct tape in the past when I was too lazy to do it the right way lol.
        I didn't think about it, but I'd worry about residue.... that said, I may give that a shot when I fill/blend the back corners.

Comment

it'll be purely accidental, I assure you ;)
          Yeah Right.... spoken like a true litigator...

Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

we?

the hummer is getting replaced with a new, diesel, Z71 colorado 4 door truck... black. I didn't want black, again but black was value priced so there we go.
            Oh nice, I considered the Aussie version until I discovered Z71 here means usless plastic body trim and oversized black rims with low profile tires. And a rather painful wallet experience, and I was getting a special price.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post

Oh nice, I considered the Aussie version until I discovered Z71 here means usless plastic body trim and oversized black rims with low profile tires. And a rather painful wallet experience, and I was getting a special price.
              Z71 here means rear locker, skid plates, larger tires and a nicer interior (seat heaters and leather). You'd also fall over at how much less we pay for our vehicles....
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 16, 2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• got a bit further today

seal the back side

I'm weird, I kind of find this fun

a couple of layers

then more gluing

and glued

same with the other side

now it just has to dry, while I'm waiting, I'll take the other fender off

Comment

• might as well glue the rest on - since I have to keep the shop 70 degrees anyway for at least 2 hours....

more of the same on this side

line up the front

remove

clean up

the blue tape made taking the holding bits a snap

like this

more fiberglassing

yes, it's not green like the other side.... that's all so 60 years from now some punk kid on TV (or whatever they're watching) can bitch and moan about how terribly I did.... eff em.

and glue

and installed

and installed again

fortunately I burn waste oil otherwise keeping an uninsulated shop 70 degrees in 30 degree weather would be an expensive challenge

Comment

• Sounds like I'm supposedta be seeing pictures...

Comment

• I see pictures

Comment

• OK - You're weird (you said to call you weird.....). I like to do stuff that makes the project different from any other car in the world so I can relate - but I'm weird, too. I have the pics on my screen and they look great.

Dan

Comment

• ....i see um too.... Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif?itemid=4970323.gif
Views:	62
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1190713
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Fantastic work as usual, what products are you using for the epoxy/cloth and "glue" interesting indeed. This thing is going to be wicked when you're done.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• fiberglass resin came from Napa and Home Depot (bondo brand). without going into the argument, fiberglass resin is fiberglass resin... yeah, there are some who'd consider those fighting words, but I don't care - it all holds the same.

the glue is 3m 8115 - which bonds pretty much anything to anything, it's for metal to plastic but it's also good for plastic/plastic or even metal/metal. It comes in two forms - quick dry for production and what I used - the 8115 which takes a couple hours to set at 70 degrees, then 24 hours to reach full strength

Comment

• Good info to have!
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X