Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Good info to have!
    someone told me that once set it's never coming apart - it's set now, they weren't just whistling dixie.... I'm impressed.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• screws are out and these things are not coming off .... dang that stuff holds... it goes tacky after a couple hours, then kind of gummy for 16 hours, then rock hard...

fender clamps to make the back line up - I figure I'll let these sit like this for a day or two and a few heat cycles ... hopefully they'll yield to that position so the fiberglass isn't holding it in tension.

this side took heat to get it to move in

this is pretty close

this is not - the fix is cut away under structure (inner fenders) then fiberglass it in the right position

and rookie mistake.... I didn't grind the fiberglass back on the back side of this before gluing... ah well, easy enough to fix

this I'm not sure what I did but the fix is easy - just trim the lip on the fender so it fits in the channel

overall though, I'm quite pleased.

Comment

• its starting to look like one of those crazy 70's
        greenwood specials. AND its got the motor to back up
        that look. aint a bad place to be !
        Last edited by fatguyzinc; February 19, 2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          screws are out and these things are not coming off .... dang that stuff holds... it goes tacky after a couple hours, then kind of gummy for 16 hours, then rock hard...

fender clamps to make the back line up - I figure I'll let these sit like this for a day or two and a few heat cycles ... hopefully they'll yield to that position so the fiberglass isn't holding it in tension.

this side took heat to get it to move in

this is pretty close

this is not - the fix is cut away under structure (inner fenders) then fiberglass it in the right position

and rookie mistake.... I didn't grind the fiberglass back on the back side of this before gluing... ah well, easy enough to fix

this I'm not sure what I did but the fix is easy - just trim the lip on the fender so it fits in the channel

overall though, I'm quite pleased.
          NOW I see pictures... Have been seeing everybody's but your's till now!

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            fiberglass resin came from Napa and Home Depot (bondo brand). without going into the argument, fiberglass resin is fiberglass resin... yeah, there are some who'd consider those fighting words, but I don't care - it all holds the same.
            Them be fighting words!

There are two types of resins used in making stuff with fiberglass, epoxy resin and polyester resin.

Most times polyester resin is the resin of choice.

Epoxy resin is used when you want a resin that is not reactive with other chemicals, particularly polystyrene. Shaped polystyrene is an easy way to make a form and using polyester resin will have it dissolve in front of you...

Tim
            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

Them be fighting words!

There are two types of resins used in making stuff with fiberglass, epoxy resin and polyester resin.

Most times polyester resin is the resin of choice.

Epoxy resin is used when you want a resin that is not reactive with other chemicals, particularly polystyrene. Shaped polystyrene is an easy way to make a form and using polyester resin will have it dissolve in front of you...

while that's great - you should hear the epic battles are about West Marine epoxy vs. hardware store epoxy. After chalk brands, it's the most fought over issue in the Corvette world. Personally, I think they either sniffed too much glue or too much chalk.

Comment

• back to the back

PB didn't upload the picture of it ready for glue... but it's 15 degrees outside so gluing is going to have to wait.

I started grinding on these, and they're better then I thought - but still... well just look

top is fine, center isn't terrible because the door dives behind the fender

and fine at the bottom

looking forward, they don't look terrible

ah well, I can't fit or filler tonight so onto something else

opinion time
                projector lights

So here it goes. I like the C3 pop up lights. I'm not in love with removing the pop ups or the full pop up.... so what to do? I think this is the solution..... I'm going to remove most of the assembly behind and use an electric motor to raise them both (or short-throw actuators).... once done I'll then make surrounds for the lights to blend them like the stock lights blend.... thoughts? I don't like the blank spots between the lights but then again, I like this far better then stock...

Comment

• Maybe put three of those projector lights in each side, that will take up the space.
                  Tim
                  Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• I definitely like the lower profile! I'm sure you can make them aesthetically pleasing when finished...
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Luggage racks are for practical cars, I don't do practical... ever

countersink the holes then use aluminum tape to block the back

best of all, I can just hear the car show in 50 years complaining that I used such a method

cause I hate cleanup, I put blue tape around the holes

while I was fiberglassing, I started the inner fenders

I also sealed the bonded panel so nothing gets behind the panel once I do the filler

and I got this side closer

a bit of cleanup before it hardens

time to drill the holes for the lights

bond aluminum angles to the flange

I spent a solid hour trying to find the mixing nozzles for my other bonding stuff.... ah well, glue is something I have lots of

and now glued to the panel

long way to go, but that's step 1

Comment

• time to make the car stable but still be able to go up and down on the lift

Tempted to try that rust/restorer stuff on this...

time to glue the corners - figure I'll do it in 2 stages, first what fits then the upper part...

and glued

high tech holding devices

and glued

Comment

• Ratchet straps are my friend, too. I often use them for lots of stuff including tightening up frames in the wood shop as the glue sets. All looks great to me!

Dan

Comment

• What projectors are you using? Looks like you could fit a Hella Micro DE foglight, or it's HID drivng light version in there as well.
                            And I agree with you on luggage racks, it's even worse when people put them on cars with actual trunks.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                              What projectors are you using? Looks like you could fit a Hella Micro DE foglight, or it's HID drivng light version in there as well.
                              And I agree with you on luggage racks, it's even worse when people put them on cars with actual trunks.
                              I dunno what brand.... I bought them from Amazon and their price point was the important bit because I didn't know if I would use them or not... now that I will, I'll figure out the specifics - for that, thank you.

Comment

• alright - photobucket jumped the shark tank, so let Imgur reign.
                                So alignment was an issue

so I did a bit of cutting so it's a smooth transition

then some frankenstein work

and a bit of taping

then a whole lot of fiberglassing

inner fenders

and across the top

now the back is glued on.... and time to start working forward

Comment

Working...
                                X