Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
    Most things are lining up better?
    I've never seen a fiberglass part that has been "right" without work. Although most have been better than these.
    I call them a good start, it was mostly my fault for presuming it was better then it was. Yeah, I'm sure Josh Powers will hate me saying this - but it is what it is. If you're buying flares, you need to remember that not just is there going to be manufacturing tolerances, but these cars were pretty awful when it came to fit, finish, and inter-vehicle similarity. I think the dimensional tolerance on a C3 Corvette (what the engineers said was 'okay') on the body is 1/8" .... what that means is that one car could be 1/4" different one to another - for any other car of this age, 1/16" was the tolerance.

In other news, I spent most of the day at a 4x4 swap meet so didn't do much except start filling seams. And in that, I'm going back to Evercoat rage filler. The Vette Panel Bonding adhesive and filler is way too thin for this. kitty hair is coming next....

I bought dies at the swap meet - and enjoyed the first 70 degree, sunny day since September....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• for the record, I'll never use vette panel adhesive/filler again. it works for adhering, but it gums up paper... there are better options out there.
      Anyway, boring post, but it's going the right way

it also sags, a lot
      it took 2 pads per panel to knock it down

I really hope this works - kitty hair

it cooled off again, so back to diesel planning

Comment

• Lotsa work, but lookin great!!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• at some point you've just got to ask yourself if you have time to do this - or in this case, is it worth it. The hood I bought is flat, so I need to cut all the supports and put the part that rises at the fenders then refiberglass. The scoop needs to be lengthened. All of these things I've done.... but I simply don't feel like it... so this is happening

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1193617

Comment

• I think it's going to work, kitty hair

it's going to require some sculpting, but it should be strong enough .... crossing fingers

and other side

second layer

interestingly, I got closer the first time on the hardest side

this should be the final base coat, all the rest are going to be gold coat that get sanded to make this smooth

and I started fixing the wheel well, they're actually worse then I thought... the edge - isn't the same angle to the other side - what that means is unless I fix it, one side will have the tire seeming to stick out further then the other

Comment

• I should be clearer - the next step is take the doors off, finish removing paint on them and the paint that is still on the sails... but all of this fits into starting the leveling coats - first with gold filler then sandable primer, then primer, etc.. etc.

Comment

• Great!!
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  yeah now I'm irritated.

I've been very complimentary to Custom Image Flares. I think they are quite helpful and their flare is the best looking on the market. Today I got a "you don't know what you're talking about" from Josh Powers - the guy who owns CIC. Fair enough, so from here on out I'll start really documenting how terribly these things fit. But let's start with that last picture above....notice how the seam is well below the bonding point to the upper panel? I made a mistake - I presumed that they make the flares in mirror to each other... in short, that the top parting line of the flare was the same as the line that is the top of the fender.... it's not. It's that far off....

Wait until you see the door seam.... they didn't get enough material so I'll be making a new door gap.... all because they were careless in their mold and parting process....

You're welcome Josh, let's see what you think of what I know now.

oh, OBVIOUSLY you "dont know what youre talking about"

i mean, you only tackle projects that would scare off "normal"
                  car guys (who are usually pretty dang adventurous and proficient)
                  on a regular basis.........

dont worry, buddy. all of us know you well enough to figure
                  out whos really talking out the side of their neck.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

oh, OBVIOUSLY you "dont know what youre talking about"

i mean, you only tackle projects that would scare off "normal"
                    car guys (who are usually pretty dang adventurous and proficient)
                    on a regular basis.........

dont worry, buddy. all of us know you well enough to figure
                    out whos really talking out the side of their neck.
                    In all of this, I want them to be successful but I think they're driving off a cliff.... ah well, should be fun to watch.

Comment

• It has often been said, At my former places of employment, "hire the mentally incompetent, they're fun to watch! "
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I love to watch people work but man , that's a lot of work . I really like what your doing and the knowledge your passing along . You'll have something really great when your done . I think someone would have to be a fool not to listen to a customer .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• a lot of repetition, but here we go

the whole point being it's going the right direction

anyway, I forgot to order 80 grit and didn't stop to get the final coat (evercoat 125) from the paint shop... truth be told I hate going there because they are way too expensive... but sometimes there is no choice. Let me for example, I needed 2000 grit pads to color sand, they sold me 2 for $50. look up what it really costs and you'll see why I avoid them. Too bad for them.

Comment

• Dunno how places expect to stay in biz by overcharging customers
                            I suspect they charge the hobbist (us on this site, mostly) more than they charge pro shops..

Comment

• That's why we are ordering more online anymore....
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• A bit of inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/superchevym...55031911557553
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X