No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it doesn't have a transmission that occupies 1/3 of the driver's and passenger's seat. It's funny, someone on facebook told me all about the 'friend' who put a c5 rear in his car.... uh, sure buddy. See how much I had to cut out of the boxes just for the rear differential? yeah, another 18" forward and about 16" of diameter... I won't say there's no way, but there's no effin way it fits in a C3. GM shortened the hood and lengthened the rear on the 5 6 and 7.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• So this set of pictures is after disconnecting the sway bar and seeing how close to perpendicular the axle is moving. I think, this is just a guess, but I think the mounts would be about 1 1/2 below the cross bar on the C3... no big deal to cut and re-shape, but that's my eduguess as to where this is going to end up
      pictures

zero(ish) at full drop

3 degrees at full compression (which is about 2" into the tire so not going that far)

I know it seems like 4 but it was zeroed and moved before this picture....

that's about middle of the travel (it has roughly 6 inches maybe a touch more if pushed - which is kind of amazing itself since that's about 1 inch more then my H3 Hummer had on the front)

29" opening at full drop

If I was a snot, I'd not tell you that it's really easy to get the suspension where it needs to be....
      level this bar - at ride height this bar must ABSOLUTELY be level.... the suspension is designed to toe in/toe out during travel - and it actually helps it turn, but it must be level otherwise steering inputs won't be predictable.

all that's left is rotating the axle so the tire goes (close to) straight up and down in the wheel opening. With that said, advanced suspension says you want the wheels to get closer together on the inside of the turn and wider on the outside.... HOWEVER, not too much otherwise you'll have to steer after every large bump... in this case, 1* is enough (which is back to my prediction as to the orientation of the axle as view from the side... tl;dr - front needs to go down about 1 1/2 inches, I think)

the tire size Custom Image Corvette designed the flares for is 28".... that means this is basically the most downward travel

Sunday I said I needed to take 1/4 inch off... no, it needs 1/2 inch

and knock that cussable front support off

done

and if you look really closely, you'll see the wheel is more centered

Thursday I'm going to start making front brackets then start pondering what the rear is going to look like. the last fun bit will be figuring out the coil over mount... there is an elegant solution for the driveshaft... but that you'll just have to wait to see

Comment

• OK....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• (me too)

Dan

Comment

• so I measured. 26x12.3 .... you'll see how I verified this at the end

oh an 9" backspace ... means I can use Z06 wheels
            of course all things do not work perfectly the first time.... one hole was just a tad undersized.. easy fix on the drill press

1 degree difference - the transmission is 2.85 degrees

now to put it in place for permanence

trim, tack

knock apart,

tack again in the right spot

get the welds I can't reach from the bottom

and there it is... front is still on temp stands, but it should all be in place Sunday

hmmm,, I think these brakes are bigger then stock

verification.... fits

and yes, centered even

Comment

• Love the wheel mockup tool. Where'd you pick that up?

Otherwise, lookin good.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                Love the wheel mockup tool. Where'd you pick that up?

Otherwise, lookin good.
                directly from IFS. there is another company who makes this tool, it's plastic.

Comment

• Parts arrived...
                  clever solution (probably should have done the other one so I could use a smaller U-joint but this means I need to put enough motor in front of it to warrant the use of the 1350 u-joint... otherwise, I'll be laughed at).

these arrived too.... now all that's left is everything

Comment

• Lohnes may joke about Mullet cars (Brian Lohnes, owner of Bangshift.com and ___ of a ___ with a ___ for a ___.... for those who are getting this on broadcast).... but I know you're here for your fix of all things mullet and plastic. For that... we carry on and add Camaro to my Corvette (I win the trailer park war)

so I put the other tire on.... and it wasn't right... close, but not right

fortunately, there's this thing called tacks - those are tacks.... big tacks

yep, the problem, the vise grips didn't hold this forward

chop chop

welded up tight

and now welded in the front

eventually, this will get a brace

also started figuring out how the coilovers will install

I love this - I had my laser guy cut out a sheet of tabs... very handy

and then sanded - because the only way sanding gets done is if I do a bit a day

a bit more filling and it'll be done

and I only wish I was rednecked enough to have a 60s 2 ton chevy truck with a pickup bed in my backyard....

Comment

• dunno about you winning the trailer park war--ive got a trailer hitch
                      on my white 78 with the 454. it is functional and the vette does
                      sometimes get pressed into trailer duty. pretty sure thats as
                      redneck as you can get...........

i just need airshocks and im there, dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                        dunno about you winning the trailer park war--ive got a trailer hitch
                        on my white 78 with the 454. it is functional and the vette does
                        sometimes get pressed into trailer duty. pretty sure thats as
                        redneck as you can get...........

i just need airshocks and im there, dude.
                        Nope, you have to put a Camaro rear end under a Corvette. I'm really starting to enjoy the expression I get when I mention this to people - it goes from "wtf" to "oh boy, one of those" then my explanation to "wary acceptance"

Comment

• Redneck Engineering 101.... Carol Shelby, Henry Ford, Rick Kirk....The list goes on and on.....Pretty good company I think....
                          Last edited by silver_bullet; April 23, 2018, 05:48 PM.
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I'm not stopped, but I am taking some time to consider options. I have 3" from the hub face to the fender lip (on the rear of the car). I can gain 2" by using narrower Camaro arms. I can use Corvette rims (79 mm positive offset - that's just over 3" from the center)... or, of course, buy something aftermarket. The wheel has to be 19" to clear the calipers. So what to use? deeper offset is kind of cool but the latest trend in making cars handle is longer control arms.... so I dunno... I also need to order the front arms... what I don't want to do is order wheels then need to buy new wheels because I don't like the fit/use.

what that means for the project is I'm going to finish body work and decide which is better

Comment

• Sounds like a good plan....but we all know what happens to good plans....
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Nope, you have to put a Camaro rear end under a Corvette.....

if it was an early ( 1st or 2nd gen ) straight axle 12 bolt, id agree with you.
                                however youve gone "hi tech redneck" in a HUGE way.....

since im most likely going to have to downsize by 75% or more shortly,
                                including losing my 55 gasser project--i may later stuff the '67 chevelle
                                12 bolt with the 3.73 posi in it and twin carb intake into the vette after
                                all-- of course thats *IF* i can save any parts during this monster f@ck
                                by the fickle fingers of fate.....

Comment

Working...
                                X