No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know who that old, fat guy is in the video. His wardrobe is called "Garage Hobo"

this is the first fire of the 427

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 23, 2018, 09:12 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• "....I don't know who that old, fat guy is in the video. His wardrobe is called "Garage Hobo"............

no idea what youre talking about. im not anywhere near washington.......

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Success!

I tried something similar this morning with the Commando......nada. Cranks good, no pop. Not surprised, but did you know that supposedly a GM HEI needs a minimum of 100 RPM before it will fire? I read that yesterday - had never heard that before. Not sure if I believe it or not?

427 sounds great. Gonna be sweet!
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
            Success!

I tried something similar this morning with the Commando......nada. Cranks good, no pop. Not surprised, but did you know that supposedly a GM HEI needs a minimum of 100 RPM before it will fire? I read that yesterday - had never heard that before. Not sure if I believe it or not?

427 sounds great. Gonna be sweet!
            usually it's the 9.5 volt requirement of the HEI that gets you when it's not turning fast enough...

and yes, it sounds excellent.

Comment

• Nice!
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Starting.

2 gallons wasn't enough fuel to fill the hydramat, so when we were starting it, (and since I've no idea where the turkey baster I stole got to) it was just enough to make sure it ran, had oil pressure, and all else was well. I put another 5 gallons (all with fuel stabilizer) in it, and the pump primed.

If you pay close attention, you see I screw with something behind the carb. it's the ground wire for the coil. Apparently it needs to be grounded when you're trying to start the car. FYI, an allen wrench can substitute for a screw.

the accelerator pumps were not working, front works now, rear is going to take a bit more playing with

2 bolts do not keep valve covers from leaking oil - the other bolts are there now.

Sunday I'll start it and run it for real - might even put the muffler portion of the sidepipes on.

Then I will answer the question about whether the surface on the block is going to work with the cometic gaskets - that said, since it contained the compression without tossing the cap off the radiator, I think I'm good.

I'm still smiling and an occasional woohoo comes out when I think of how it sounds

Comment

• Call me an old fogie, and I'm not being critical.....but I'd feel a lot better if you stood on the driver's side when firing it. Reaching across the carb to pump the throttle could result in serious burns...it only takes one backfire to set your arm on fire. (End of sermon.) Sounds great!
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Call me an old fogie, and I'm not being critical.....but I'd feel a lot better if you stood on the driver's side when firing it. Reaching across the carb to pump the throttle could result in serious burns...it only takes one backfire to set your arm on fire. (End of sermon.) Sounds great!
                    eyebrows and arm hair was kept safely to the side..... plus, who watches videos for safe practices and all digits staying attached? if that were true, Roadkill wouldn't have made it past the first episode.

Comment

• If anyone wants to know why I hate wiring - I'll tell you - 9.6 volts. Why is that so bad? well let me tell you, a wire that should have battery voltage (12.4ish), has 9.6 volts. In a 76 Corvette, stock wiring. Never mind this car doesn't turn all the circuits on with the ignition switch at it really isn't too Bubba'd. But somehow it manages to defy electrical theory.....

Comment

• Did a 76 Corvette have HEI or points?
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• IIRC, all GM vehicles after 1974 were HEI...
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• nope, no points.... wrong side of the firewall too....

Comment

• Sounds like you have butt connectors and/or corrosion, after all, it doesn't take much resistance to drop voltages. I remember an old mechanic years ago told me Corvettes were just as bad as Japanese cars as far as the wiring and developing electrical problems as they age.

Comment

• I suspect you're right about the corrosion - I took a brief look at the fusebox last night and was not thrilled at what I saw.

Comment

Working...
                                X