No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to win but for that kind of money , the car better be paying me back . I'm a tight wad , I'll just go ahead and put that out there . I do like watchingbotheres do it with no judgement on this end .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• I was over stalking at Pro-touring.com and someone asked how much a completed very nice pro-touring ride would cost to build but ones self as nd most agreed on $100,000 to $150,000 and $300,000 if you just wrote check , not that there's anything wrong with that .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• I got a stack of parts.... early, but not all correct
        this one is correct (under the bubble wrap) it's a front sway bar for a C5/C6

rotors from a 2010-2015 Camaro was good too - though I need to do a bit of opening on the spindle

and they sent me the rear calipers rather then the front.... whoops. I sent the seller (ebay) a note, crossing my fingers he has the right ones. These use a 2" wide pad rather then a 2 1/2" wide along with the front rotor is thicker....

There is good news, though, making a bracket to make those fit the Corvette spindles should be child's play. Fortunately, I don't think there will be a run on these front end parts because this is not as plug and play as the rear..... of course, if it was easy....

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          I'd like to win but for that kind of money , the car better be paying me back . I'm a tight wad , I'll just go ahead and put that out there . I do like watchingbotheres do it with no judgement on this end .
          winning takes the fun out of the sport - that's my philosophy, I enjoy participating and the challenge of it; but while I do enjoy proving people wrong, but in my 'off' time, being competitive isn't for me.

There's no megabuck LS here, no huge dollar suspension, the flares I bought from a company that was just starting and while they were expensive and not well made; they're a fair sight easier to install then building them myself (point is, even the money spent there was for other reasons)..... I hope this will be competitive, but if I wanted to even play there; I should have taken Bob's (not DB) offer to run the Fiat at Optima.... it isn't me.

Comment

• in other news, I used my lathe to open up the rotors

it feetz

Comment

• slowly the pieces are coming in... c5 rack

Comment

• for those who are curious why not C3 work.... honey do deck build.... hopefully this is the last major piece

Comment

• This looks like either of two things , ( at least on the phone that I'm using at the moment ) your building a deck on as frame table or the deck has a steel frame instead of wood . Both m as le it really seem to qualify it as a serious deck !
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• He's building a stackerdeck for the trailer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      This looks like either of two things , ( at least on the phone that I'm using at the moment ) your building a deck on as frame table or the deck has a steel frame instead of wood . Both m as le it really seem to qualify it as a serious deck !
                      our house is 2 story, the goal here is wheelchair accessible. Thus the stout, wide frame. Eventually where it leads is to a lap pool.

Comment

• some parts arrived today....
                        the correct calipers

(there may be a very simply way to make these work without any cutting)
                        the issue is the rotor needs to move out on the hub or take material off one or the other (or both - hub and caliper)

that said, about a 1/4" is what would put it about perfect.... just shush and don't tell anyone in the C5 world that 14" Camaro rotors and SS calipers can fit on their hubs...

what I bought was the c5 cradle so that I could copy it

that said, I may simply use as-is.... dunno at this moment but the temptation is there (and there are substantial benefits)

It is 64" wide hub-to-hub* (compared to 58.7 stock).... which incidentally is the same width as the panther platform front suspension I put in the 50 Buick.... it's almost like I was planning this when I put the flares on.... there will be some who believe that, most won't

basically it's 3" from the edge of the flare to the hub

*to be sure we're all speaking the same language - track width is the center of the wheel to center of wheel. On cars like the C5 which put the hub well past the centerline of the wheel, that number is going to be a different point. The C3 has a centered hub, so the 59.7 is the hub face to hub face dimension. The C5 gets trick because there are 2, standard and Z06. The 'stated' track width is 62". The hub face to hub face is roughly (depending on alignment) 64 inches. the Z06, reportedly, is 66 inches

Comment

• Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Me too
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Most of my day was this

but I did get a few moments to plan
                              first of all.... I am leaning toward it's only going to need cut the original holes off then redrill the spindles. Once done, it'll need about 1/16" spacer behind the rotor

you can almost see the line

the yellow

is roughly where that rear hole is

I think the hardest part of this will be the radiator because the outlet and the front hole seem to occupy about the same space. Not a huge problem, but still fitting will be necessary
                              The oil pan, upon first measurement seems to clear - why reinvent the wheel? I'll use the cradle if it makes sense (meaning, takes less work).
                              I still have to build upper a-arm mounts but that seems to be the extent of the fab...

Comment

• Wow! That's quite the upgrade!
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X