No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a badass impact that will break bolts.... it's coming out, in how many pieces is solely dependent on the bolt.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• a few minutes and got it on the ground

a bit of frame notching

and voila a roller again

it does need the wider rear tires..
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 28, 2018, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• looking gnarly. makes me wanna go drive mine--too bad im in maui right now
        and am stuck here till dec 5th or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
          looking gnarly. makes me wanna go drive mine--too bad im in maui right now
          and am stuck here till dec 5th or so.
          Tough life!

Dan

Comment

too bad im in maui right now.

Maui was very nice when I was there about a month ago. I'm ready to come back

Comment

• Originally posted by Admirall2 View Post

Maui was very nice when I was there about a month ago. I'm ready to come back

yeah, i actually grew up here but currently live on oahu (which SUCKS...) and now
              come back every other month or so for 3-5 weeks at a time to help mom with
              her 1-1/4 acre backyard that grows like crazy as shes almost 70 now and cant
              do it anymore.

its not fun putting my entire life on hold to do this but shes my mom and nobody else
              to do it so apparently its me. oh well. could be worse.

Comment

• moving along time to make the coil overs permanent

it's getting close to time to get a few more tab plates lasered out

so when I do the finish work, all this will get boxed and finished

for now it's strong enough to drive

all I did on the lower arm was redrill the hole

now to connect the steering wheel to the front

basically, take the u-joint off the top and replace it with the lower one.... and in this case, had I not had the u-joint, I may have done this a bit different....

heat removes it

test

the issue

basically heat puts the new one back on....

and now it steers.. what's left there is to replace the motor mount and clean up the frame... which I'll do when I pull the body off (likely Sunday)

Comment

• whatever you do DONT use the "Anchor" brand motor mounts. broke in a week on mine,
                  (just normal driving, hadnt broke in the motor yet so wasnt nailing it or anything...) they gave me
                  another, i replaced it (fun fun FUN) and that one broke in a week as well.

i then used the energy suspension poly mounts (both sides) and it has held up well, although
                  at idle you can see the aircleaner that pokes through the hood moving 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and when you
                  step on the gas it rocks 1" towards the driver side. a full throttle stomp and it picks up so far-- like 2-3
                  inches-- that im actually considering a solid mount, at least on the driver side...

Comment

whatever you do DONT use the "Anchor" brand motor mounts. broke in a week on mine,
                    (just normal driving, hadnt broke in the motor yet so wasnt nailing it or anything...) they gave me
                    another, i replaced it (fun fun FUN) and that one broke in a week as well.

i then used the energy suspension poly mounts (both sides) and it has held up well, although
                    at idle you can see the aircleaner that pokes through the hood moving 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and when you
                    step on the gas it rocks 1" towards the driver side. a full throttle stomp and it picks up so far-- like 2-3
                    inches-- that im actually considering a solid mount, at least on the driver side...
                    Chain or cable?

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Chain or cable?

Dan
                      betcha he uses Lincoln.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Chain or cable?

Dan
                        thought about that but alternators on the driver side, dont really have
                        anyplace to attach either....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

betcha he uses Lincoln.
                          how much we betting? i wont even do lincoln lockers for offroady only rigs,
                          i make the customer buy a detroit, super brute, etc instead or i wont work on it.
                          welding has its place obviously, but i aint even trying to stick weld a cast iron block
                          to a steel frame.

others have suggested the drill and bolt method, but id be going thru the safety
                          interlock in the middle of the mount, so thats out too. i will either run a solid mount
                          on the driver side, or leave it alone. i "SHOULD" leave it alone, but like most of
                          you i seem to be a glutton for punishment..........

Comment

how much we betting? i wont even do lincoln lockers for offroady only rigs,
                            i make the customer buy a detroit, super brute, etc instead or i wont work on it.
                            welding has its place obviously, but i aint even trying to stick weld a cast iron block
                            to a steel frame.

others have suggested the drill and bolt method, but id be going thru the safety
                            interlock in the middle of the mount, so thats out too. i will either run a solid mount
                            on the driver side, or leave it alone. i "SHOULD" leave it alone, but like most of
                            you i seem to be a glutton for punishment..........

Given your trend of decision-making skillz (with a Z) - I'd say it's a safe bet that you've done something every bit as hookie

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Given your trend of decision-making skillz (with a Z) - I'd say it's a safe bet that you've done something every bit as hookie
                              are you kidding me? i *INVENTED* ghetto fabulous. (or should that be 'ghetto phaaabulous'...)
                              im so used to beating sh@t between two rocks to make it work since we are 3500+miles away
                              from anything even remotely usefull, you kinda gotta be able to drill a hole, file an edge, weld
                              a piece etc onto what you have on hand and make it work.

however that being said even i know better than to weld a block to a frame......
                              .phillistine.
                              Last edited by fatguyzinc; December 2, 2018, 03:48 PM.

Comment

however that being said even i know better than to weld a block to a frame......
                                .phillistine.
                                this is true right up and until that moment when it's either that or walk. Don't even put on airs with me my brother-from-another-mother

Comment

Working...
                                X