No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I welded a frame where the person was bugging me on how long it was taking to level it up, if only I could have shown them what it looks like when you don't take the time.... ah well, there were trolls before there was an internet and I'm sure they'll still be around after it's gone
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• time to finish up the front
      driver side

passenger side

off a bit

which meant a quick install and removal of the motor

chop and move up

then turn it around and get to work on the back

Comment

• so we got a bit of snow today

as is normal, everything shut down. I went to work, enjoyed the commute because it was pretty much just me
        so I came home and did stuff

first box the rear attachment points in

started boxing the bottom - my plan is to flip the frame over the weld the bottom

what I haven't decided is if I need to attach the kick-ups to the cross bar on the old frame....

the frame could use some strengthening and perhaps now is the time to try some new things.... I dunno

Comment

• Guessing it'll be PLENTY stout before you stop working on it! (My kind of engineering). A word of caution - I stiffened the unibody on my MGB to the point that I could jack the car up pretty much anywhere and still open the doors which is unheard of on an MG. Cornered great but rode like a buckboard. I learned years later that Pressteel (they made the bodies) had counted on body flex as part of the compliance to smooth the ride. Not sayin' that's great engineering but there you have it. Not sure Chevy had that same plan but I did learn that in certain situations a car can be TOO stiff.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Guessing it'll be PLENTY stout before you stop working on it! (My kind of engineering). A word of caution - I stiffened the unibody on my MGB to the point that I could jack the car up pretty much anywhere and still open the doors which is unheard of on an MG. Cornered great but rode like a buckboard. I learned years later that Pressteel (they made the bodies) had counted on body flex as part of the compliance to smooth the ride. Not sayin' that's great engineering but there you have it. Not sure Chevy had that same plan but I did learn that in certain situations a car can be TOO stiff.

Dan
            it's funny, I had Pirate all atwitter when I boxed the frame and welded it on my FJ40, they claimed that frames are supposed to flex. Last time I checked, that was called metal fatigue. I can control a suspension with springs and shock absorbers, but last I knew they made springs out of steel and there was no shock absorber for frames....

Comment

• Pirates atwitter, yep.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• 1/8" X 2" wide plate welded on top of the frame strengthens it real well.. You could go wider as you are not hiding it.
                Factory seams rewelded really make a diff.. Found many welds near critical components with just flux, no steel under it.. stiff wire brush or needle scaler finds them..

Comment

• first step tonight was figuring out what is wrong with this stupid thing.... it goes through consumables very quickly. blew the dust out... didn't make a difference. checked the torch (pulled it apart), nothing there seemed terribly amiss.... but now I'm out of consumables...

then boxed this

next is flip the frame over... so I don't make a mess... drain the diff...

looks good, only had 30k miles..

Comment

• You ARE running a lot of inches of weld therefore a lot of inches of cut so maybe that accounts for the consumables? Fun to see this come together.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; February 6, 2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• this is a bit beyond the pale, I'm not getting more then 16" of cut .... first it doesn't want to ignite, then it blows the tips off...

Comment

• Torch cutting? One alternative. Or maybe the plasma needs a repair.....

Dan

Comment

• a bit further

and now flip the frame over

lots easier to weld this way

Comment

• But all the frame oil will run out!!!!

Dan

Comment

• the snow is great, best of all, I get more time on this
                              front end disassembled

mental note, that makes the rear heavier....
                              so let's disassemble it as well

I did get more welding in on the frame rails

what is that term - it's a 50/50 chance you did it wrong... wrong, I think it's more like 100%... in the case I have to cut the e-brake cable bracket to remove the rear assemblies

it's apart

and now, because of the snow, I'm wondering if I should just clean it well then paint it... I'll have to decide after tomorrow - there is a bunch more welding to do.... once that's done, it'll be time to get it clean so I can paint and start reassembly for real.... which is good, I'm running out of places to stash C3 parts.

Comment

• this could easily be the last update here - I'm on other forums and I also update occasionally to Facebook. Quite frankly, since this is troll sponsored content, the trolls can have it

thread protectors

hey look, cheap disks explode - it's why I wear expensive, safety gear

welding up final holes

Tomorrow, grinding then hoping the snow goes away enough to take the frame to be blasted.... if not, I'm sure I'll think of something

Comment

Working...
                                X