Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    You DO know that the average lawyer lacks your skills, right? I've been lusting after a TIG but I'm not sure I have the eyesight to properly use one these days. Quandary.....

Dan
    I have a reading-glasses insert in my welding helmet - makes an amazing difference.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I have missing pixels as a result of extreme lasering to solve complications from diabetes. The reading glass insert helps but there are still missing spots and sadly that isn't going away. I'm not complaining - without this medical intervention I'd be driving with a red and white cane out the window. (now THERE'S a mental picture!)

Dan

Comment

• I know a couple of network engineers that have missing pixels due to staring down the wrong end of an active fiber optic cable. I am in awe of your welding skills. I just wish I had some time to learn how to get metal to stick together.

Comment

• If you can draw a line with a pencil you can MIG - it really IS that easy with a decent machine. My issue is that I can't see where the weld is needed and I use reading glasses, a bright LED light on the weld area, and the lightest setting on my helmet. I get the best results by running a short bead (like 1/8" to 1/4"), let the lens go back to clear, reposition, weld another short bead. Not what I'd like to do but it does work.

Dan

Comment

• Are you getting a reflection on the glass? I like to put a old T-shirt over the back of my helmet.

Comment

• Before I started with magnifying lenses, I would do the light trick too to try to be able to see. One thing, where my normal magnification to read is 1.25 (ish), I need 1.75 or even 2.0 to weld. You do get vertigo when you first start using that kind of magnification, but eventually your eyes and brain adjusts to where you don't notice the magnification unless it's not there.... you're using light to bandaid you need for more magnification.

What Shep said is true as well, too much light behind your helmet (or LED light) can really make it hard to see through your mask.

And of course, clean glass and protector plates make a difference.... just for completeness..

Comment

• I don't seem to get any reflection on the glass but I'll give that a try - I have PLENTY of old T-shirts! I've noticed that keeping the lens clean IS a big help, too. I use 3.0 readers instead of the usual 2.5s and all these things, while helpful, can't make up for the missing pixels.

Dan

Comment

• Dan, I recently had laser surgery in both eyes in November to (hopefully) lower ocular pressure for a few years without chemicals. Is this similar to your case? It’s been interesting adjusting to my new eyes......
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                    Dan, I recently had laser surgery in both eyes in November to (hopefully) lower ocular pressure for a few years without chemicals. Is this similar to your case? It’s been interesting adjusting to my new eyes......
                    Not sure. With more advanced diabetes the back of the eye can grow unnecessary blood vessels in an attempt to nourish the eye but the body isn't smart enough to just put the new vessels where they're needed. So they grow willy-nilly inside the eye and obstruct vision and eventually will make you blind. The laser surgery burns away the extra blood vessels and thereby retains sight. In my case I needed so much of it that it's also impacted my peripheral vision but I can still see to drive and perform other critical functions. I had a total of 3,000+ shots in my left eye and over 1,000 in the right. According to my retinologist here in Wilmington they probably wouldn't treat this so aggressively today (mine was done about 20ish years ago).

Sorry for the threadjack.....

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; March 9, 2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• It IS similar then. I got 120 shots in one and 129 in the other to increase permeability and drainage of ocular fluid. Doctor was like a kid with a video game - zap, zap, zap.

Threadjack? It’s still bangshift right......okay, sorry Aaron.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Sorry for the threadjack.....

Dan
                        Not a threadjack, unlike what you see on TV, most of us deal with some form or another of disability or another - often these discussions are more helpful then the main item of the thread.

My point all along has been to prove that anyone can do this stuff and many many times perceived limitations - especially ones that don't get discussed often - are the very thing to get people to adapt and build something better then what I'm building.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 9, 2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

You DO know that the average lawyer lacks your skills, right? I've been lusting after a TIG but I'm not sure I have the eyesight to properly use one these days. Quandary.....

Dan
                          I have been busy and when not busy lazy, I still have not hooked up my new to me tig. (I should be kicked in the rear) When I do you are more than welcome to come and melt metal.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post

I have been busy and when not busy lazy, I still have not hooked up my new to me tig. (I should be kicked in the rear) When I do you are more than welcome to come and melt metal.
                            THAT'S a deal! Besides, it's always fun to hang out with you and the family. ("New to me" would be my favorite kind of TIG.)

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              Before I started with magnifying lenses, I would do the light trick too to try to be able to see. One thing, where my normal magnification to read is 1.25 (ish), I need 1.75 or even 2.0 to weld. You do get vertigo when you first start using that kind of magnification, but eventually your eyes and brain adjusts to where you don't notice the magnification unless it's not there.... you're using light to bandaid you need for more magnification.

What Shep said is true as well, too much light behind your helmet (or LED light) can really make it hard to see through your mask.

And of course, clean glass and protector plates make a difference.... just for completeness..
                              one other thing, make sure you have a gap, way easier to follow/see the gap on a run if the pieces aren’t butted solid.
                              Last edited by Shep48COE; March 10, 2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Sometimes I can manage a gap but sometimes not. And yes, it DOES help!

Comment

Working...
                                X