Dan

Comment

• CAD roll bar

dimensions

Chinese tape measures got me again.... it's the tape that's the problem
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• You know they read their alphabet right to left,
          So unless you are A Lefty, made in China tape measures the numbers are on upside down....

Comment

• There is usually too much crap printed on most tapes.. In the steel shop, we would zip out a couple feet and use "fresh" marks..

Comment

• Well,
              Just order another pizza delivery, and start another pattern. That's where you got the cardboard from ain't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                Well,
                Just order another pizza delivery, and start another pattern. That's where you got the cardboard from ain't it?
                Believe it or not, I've stopped by a local furniture store and had them give me a mattress box (some come boxed). Lots of plain, flat cardboard and they're happy to be rid of it. When I was working I'd sometimes take a CAD piece into work and put a crease exactly where I wanted it on the sheet metal brake (we had a 10 footer). Not sure a press brake has enough finesse to do that....

Dan

Comment

• Dan, press brake I operated could be set with a micrometer and repeat thousands of same angle.. Have used both, press brake has more use

Comment

• I worried that the press brake bar would crush the cardboard. So can you have it leave, say, 1/8" or so at the bottom of the stroke? I slightly tightened the hold down on the manual brake and bent the CAD piece w/o issue.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I worried that the press brake bar would crush the cardboard. So can you have it leave, say, 1/8" or so at the bottom of the stroke? I slightly tightened the hold down on the manual brake and bent the CAD piece w/o issue.

Dan
                      nope.... unless it's really old and worn out. One of the biggest reasons I didn't upgrade my press brake is all its surfaces have no play (as opposed to a Chicago brake my dad had which had 1/8" of play and made bending a guessing game.)

Comment

• On the job I used a press brake, straighten pipe that had welded tabs on it, bent tool boxes, bent wire protector plates, punch several holes in the wire protector plates at once, cut and punch holes in tabs, just to name a few things.. When there were 2-8 thinish pieces to form, instead of rolling in the dies and setting up, I had to go to another building to use the manual one. Which was too easy to overbend.

Comment

• bending.... great topic
                          the goals

bend 1

second direction, the numbers and the hole

the result

Comment

• You have all the "Cool Toys" !!
                            that is a fantastic bender!!
                            I borrow my Rusty Iron Junkie Steve's from Harbor Freight.........

Comment

• I like that bender! Sweeeet!

Comment

• I usually make my templates from 1/2" emt tubing fit to the car. Then use those as my pattern for the full sized tube. Fortunately the electrical contractor I retired from still lets me use their bender and shop to bend up my rollbar tubing. Bad part is it needs to be perfect, or I have to make another trip down to their shop to fix any errors.

Comment

Working...
                                X