No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really like the way this is coming together - again - your work ethic and seemingly endless supply of energy and motivation are truly inspirational. This is the most unique "mako shark" vettes on the planet
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      your work ethic and seemingly endless supply of energy and motivation are truly inspirational
      Or depressing when I find myself a quart low on ambition.

Dan

Comment

• Window ..... that brings me to this question . Seems some of those old vettes had a rear window you could take out quickly . Is this that and if not , do you know how it came out . Sorry for the slight derail .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Aaron, where did you get the plexi window? I've been looking for a pre-cut one for Mutt as the one I have has kind of lost its stiffness. What I've found is cut to fit and it seems like an S10 should be common enough that somebody would make them. I think the current one is too thin (like maybe 1/8" instead of maybe 3/16 or even 1/4 if that would fit in the gasket.) I need to make cutouts for the downbars the go thru but I'll have to do that no matter what I do with it but it seems easier to start with a window that fits to start with.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy

I made a paper template then took it to Tap Plastics, they cut it out for me
            use 1/4"... trust me on this.
            Did they use plexi or Lexan?

Dan

Comment

• I lean towards Polycarbonate for durability...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

acrylic....Plexi and Lexan are a brand name for polycarbonate (they're the same thing)

We used Lexan at work for safety shields and it was a LOT tougher than plexiglass which we used for windows and some other application. We eventually stopped ordering plexi and just bought Lexan though it was quite a bit pricier - it was worth it. Now I have to go look up the formulations.......

Dan

Comment

• Back from exercising my Google-Fu:

Lexan is a brand name for Polycarbonate sheet. It features excellent shatter resistance and resists scratching in normal use.

Plexiglas (brand name) or plexiglass (generic name) is acrylic sheet and was invented in the early 1930s. It is extremely clear but somewhat less impact resistant than polycarbonate and is somewhat more prone to scratching.

Which is better for car windows? Ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances.....

Dan

Comment

depends which you have to drill.... acrylic is a pain... outside of that, lexan is not UV stable and will only last up to 10 years.
                    Which is OK for Mutt as he lives inside when not racing or going to and from the track. Still scratching my head on this.......

Dan

Comment

so it's easy - acrylic will scratch your head when it breaks.... polycarbonite will bruise you.... but no scratches.
                      polycarbonate = bulletproof glass... (litteraly.)
                      a friends family runs MIN PLASTICS & SUPPLY
                      here on oahu, he says the polycarbonate is
                      pretty much "really hard clear rubber".....

Comment

when you said that you dealt in chemicals, this was not what I thought.

why, you wanna buy some crack?
                        i got 80 pounds of it in my SHORTS....

Comment

on a diet again, I'd say you were at least 300 lbs of crack
                          i actually went to the doctors monday, i weighed in
                          at a staggering 441 pounds...... the doc weighed
                          me twice, she said she thought i "look like you weigh
                          maybe 295-300"...

the double take at the 115/68 blood pressure,
                          161 cholesteral and 4.775 1AC sugar was
                          priceless....

healthy as a hippo. just too dang heavy!
                          Last edited by fatguyzinc; August 10, 2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Inner door stuff is always a challenge. Does the Corvette factory employ someone to sharpen all the inner edges as is the case for steel cars?

Dan

Comment

• Well, I guess it's a job for somebody......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X