No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now both computers and the throttle body are going back to them.... I guess that's fine, it's been a static display for so long, what's another couple weeks?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• As mentioned before, I need to send the new computer and the even newer computer along with the entire throttle body back to FiTech
      together

now a brick, again

Good thing I saved the shipping container - I swear that should be getting close to a free flight with all the times it's gone back to the manufacturer

Comment

• I was gonna click on the "Like", but I really don't like where the FI Tech is going.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
          I was gonna click on the "Like", but I really don't like where the FI Tech is going.
          All aftermarket EFI systems have trouble. every. single. one. of. them.

If you know you're going to have trouble, which do you want to deal with? Holley and their 3 week to answer window, or FiTech who will answer your question in an hour or less (granted, during normal business hours)?

The problem is none have the hours a manufacturer like GM have spent on testing their system. Example, my wife's ex-husband worked for GM when they were developing the TBI system, he drove around for 2 years with a back-seat of the test car filled with computers and monitors to data gather and test the system in every condition. I guess they got vacations to such wonderful places as the GM test ground in Arizona in July AND to Nome, Alaska in the dead of winter...

I can even make this relatable, when was the last time you tuned the deceleration rate on a carb? On some combos, the backfiring you hear and the hesitancy getting back into the throttle comes because that wasn't tuned. The aftermarket has made huge strides to make these systems work, but it's a nearly impossible mountain to climb because there are as many vehicle combinations as there are people who build them.

and I'll back up to that question that everyone asks... why not a carb? because fuel slosh and atomization. G-forces push fuel out the vent, which causes no end to troubles getting a consistent lap time. Further, 5 psi fuel flow does not atomize the fuel as well as 45 psi - which means you give up usable power with a carb. If there's one take-away I got from Optima it's this - you will not be competitive if you don't have 100% of what's potentially available. You won't be competitive with a carb.

and yes, I'm sure someone out there will try to prove me wrong. I'm not. EFI is the only way to be competitive in this competitive universe.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 3, 2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• One of our early 2nd hand Holley 2 barrels ran great until the kid hit the field and rough areas.
            I rocked the car and got the same response.
            cure was an “off road float spring”
            From that experience I can see your concerns.
            hope you can get it all worked out and have fun with that car.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

The truth is this. I run what I believe is best......... it could be me taking a dump in a toilet bowl...

sounds like a crappy deal....

i get what youre saying. plus, it IS
              entertaining to watch you repeatedly
              headbutt the concrete wall. win/win?

off road needle/seat helps with bog/slosh
              in carbs.

Comment

• I wasn't knocking FI Tech with my post. Just couldn't hit the "like" button over your troubles. Nothing more meant by my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                  I wasn't knocking FI Tech with my post. Just couldn't hit the "like" button over your troubles. Nothing more meant by my post.
                  don't worry about FGZ, he's just bitter because I have a Corvette and he doesn't (too soon?)

Comment

• what was the proverbial straw.... this

funny how little can cause so many problems.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Cheap switches used as ignition on/off never lasted for us in derby... kid was working at the local International dealer and found some stout ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Cheap switches used as ignition on/off never lasted for us in derby... kid was working at the local International dealer and found some stout ones.
                          these aren't cheap switches, they died with their boots on.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

these aren't cheap switches, they died with their boots on.
                            Do the switches need to carry that much current?
                            Could relays provide the power/load and the switch just activate the relay?

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Do the switches need to carry that much current?
                              Could relays provide the power/load and the switch just activate the relay?
                              short answer, no they don't... long answer, I was under the impression that the motors only took 7 amps to operate.... I've tested them and 10 amps is what's required... but 30 amps is what they can draw.... each.

Comment

• I think my only choice on the car now is either run what I got or replace it with a carb... nothing is available before late June, which is too late to test and tune before driving 800 miles.

And it doesn't seem FiTech is in any hurry either - so the only, realistic choice is probably a carb....

Comment

Working...
                                X