No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a while since I had a dog here.
    He was left here when the boys moved out for Higher Education.
    The neighbor's grand daughter still came over to play with him..... told her "If he had Opposing Digits (thumbs), He Would Be THE SMARTEST Dog in the World !!"
    as he would crawl under cars, climb up your back, (which is like a wrestling match as he was a large Lab Mix) just to watch what I was working on, So he's seen, everything mechanical done !!

He past away in 2010.....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

we've had this discussion before. same answer as before. I'm not replacing an old transmission with an old transmission that has fewer parts available. I've broke one of those, actually 3 of them... behind a far whimpier 454. Thanks, though.

well, as a wise man once told me,
      "some people could break an anvil in a sandbox".....

Comment

• funny you say that.... it also doesn't shift well at all if the rods come off

the 2nd lever was backwards (offset out, not in)

and this hints what's next...

I drove it today and had all sorts of trouble with the fender getting into the tire...since I'm playing with the springs, I'll pull them out and set the camber/castor for racing at ride height.... in other news, I may have new dual adjustable shocks coming...

mislabeled the sealant above... this stuff is pretty cool

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 24, 2021, 09:57 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• They sell an iron midplate that's supposed to be stronger. Might be a great upgrade when you decide to replace the aluminum plate?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
            They sell an iron midplate that's supposed to be stronger. Might be a great upgrade when you decide to replace the aluminum plate?
            my googlefu has not found it. there is, allegedly a place in NY who sells them - but their site doesn't show midplates.... so I like the idea, it's the execution that's problematic.

Comment

• Time to start upgrading things... rear, lower arms and toe rods

adjust to be close - part of the reason I got these was because it adds some adjustability to an arm that wasn't adjustable. Since I cannot get more then -1 degree camber with what is 'stock'.... these help

toe rods installed

create a center line to set the toe

and set toe

still have to set the camber. Driver's side is fine -1.1* but the passenger side is going to require lengthening the new, lower arm.... not much, it's -.9* now and I want -1.1 maybe -1.5

then onto the front.... but this may sit for a little bit, I have a wife project that needs doing on her Heep

Comment

• centering device engaged

you knew you saw it somewhere before.... works perfect

so it's set with a good baseline

Front -2 degrees, 1/16 toe in
                rear -1.1 degrees 1/32 toe in
                it's a good start point, still need to balance the car on scales, but that'll happen later

Comment

• drove it today.... I may have to set compression to a stiffer setting. It also can feel loose in the rear (twitchy?) to the point I checked all the mount and adjustment points to see if something came loose...

learnin' any input would be great.

also need to adjust the shock.... looking around the how-to, I found the instructions.... the knob will turn 11 clicks to the right for firmest setting.... 11. Sounds like I need to turn the fronts up to 11
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 27, 2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    drove it today.... I may have to set compression to a stiffer setting. It also can feel loose in the rear (twitchy?) to the point I checked all the mount and adjustment points to see if something came loose...

learnin' any input would be great.

also need to adjust the shock.... looking around the how-to, I found the instructions.... the knob will turn 11 clicks to the right for firmest setting.... 11. Sounds like I need to turn the fronts up to 11

Click image for larger version

Name:	spinaltap.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1304976

Comment

• Well, I did it. didn't buy a kit because I don't care about my floor AND the driveshaft wouldn't work anyway....

Comment

• I'm excited, gratification via someone else's wallet!
                        Last edited by 65RHDEER; September 12, 2021, 11:18 PM.
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Offset stick to clear the console/E-brake?
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            Offset stick to clear the console/E-brake?
                            I'm hoping either moved hole or spacers on the bolts work in lieu of the $317.00 shifter assembly.... if not, life is not cheap.

Comment

• Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise....
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                                Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise....
                                on the same day I'll be using a unicorn horn to roast a flying pig on a bbq....

Comment

Working...
                                X