Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'M watching this........
    I need a larger tank for the Marrakesh Express, as the Rear tank was removed in the "Police Surveillance Build".

Comment

• Tanks for the memories?
      with my gear, precision rolls are not a likely result...

what stopped me tonight is I need more clamps.... seriously

drove it yesterday, this is too restrictive so went back to the old air filter

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Loren .... lap it or butt weld it?
        I'd butt-weld it for looks but all I really gotta say is however you do it, this stuff..

Click image for larger version  Name:	spotcheck.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	1314200
        ...has rapped me 'cross the knuckles a few times, particularly on cold starts/corners, and crossing tacks. I wouldn't do a tank without it.

Last edited by Loren; February 14, 2022, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post

I'd butt-weld it for looks but all I really gotta say is however you do it, this stuff..

Click image for larger version Name:	spotcheck.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	1314200
          ...has rapped me 'cross the knuckles a few times, particularly on cold starts/corners, and crossing tacks. I wouldn't do a tank without it.
          I'll have to try it.

Comment

• Spray dye on one side, white powdery stuff on the other, wait a while or better yet overnight, the tiniest pinhole will suck dye through to the white and show a red spot...better than soap and air pressure, etc. although that has its' place...penetrant testing is an aerospace-acceptable method for proving no leaks incl. holes, cracks and cold-shuts and it gets me every time on at-least one or two little places or more. And then they get fixed and we're all good.

Edit: You might be able to buy just the two cans from a welding supply and not a whole "kit", acetone cleans it up fine, the spray cleaner they have is used more for finding cracks in a surface where you soak it in dye, then apply cleaner to a rag and wipe it off, then spray developer and the dye will come up from any cracks it's gone into and show up that way.
            Last edited by Loren; February 14, 2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Spray dye on one side, white powdery stuff on the other, wait a while or better yet overnight, the tiniest pinhole will suck dye through to the white and show a red spot...better than soap and air pressure, etc. although that has its' place...penetrant testing is an aerospace-acceptable method for proving no leaks incl. holes, cracks and cold-shuts and it gets me every time on at-least one or two little places or more. And then they get fixed and we're all good.

Edit: You might be able to buy just the two cans from a welding supply and not a whole "kit", acetone cleans it up fine, the spray cleaner they have is used more for finding cracks in a surface where you soak it in dye, then apply cleaner to a rag and wipe it off, then spray developer and the dye will come up from any cracks it's gone into and show up that way.
              In looking about, they may not make it anymore - whatever is out there is old-stock.

We used to check with blue dye and a black light. What a mess it made, though.

Comment

• onward
                I think I ended up using every C-clamp I have

I also made an adjustable right angle to hold it square. If you're doing this, don't lure yourself into just welding it then pipe clamping it square.

weld a bit, let cool, dolly, repeat

once the outside is welded, I run a hot bead down the inside with an aluminum bar against the outside - it sucks the weld 'flat' with the top... less grinding to make pretty

woohoo, I made a tube

crack check, then baffles, sump, fill neck and finally end caps

Comment

• Tanks for posting this! (sorry.......)

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Tanks for posting this! (sorry.......)

Dan
                    it's totally tubular, man!

Comment

• somewhere in my workings, pedals will happen

might as well use my aeromotive pump

Comment

• Tank is looking great...I'm imagining this is taking advantage of no-longer-used spare tire space, what's the capacity?

Stripping vinyl off old material sucks bad. Hours of not-fun.

I had long-ago planned on building a tank for the Camaro, primarily for having something baffled to quell the side-to-side slosh/slam. Maybe in a few months.

I had to look in my cabinet to see what kind of penetrant stuff I had, it's Fault Finder brand, ten bucks each for red and white at MSC: Crack Detection Kits & Components - Crack Detection - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)

Comment

Tank is looking great...I'm imagining this is taking advantage of no-longer-used spare tire space, what's the capacity?

Stripping vinyl off old material sucks bad. Hours of not-fun.

I had long-ago planned on building a tank for the Camaro, primarily for having something baffled to quell the side-to-side slosh/slam. Maybe in a few months.

I had to look in my cabinet to see what kind of penetrant stuff I had, it's Fault Finder brand, ten bucks each for red and white at MSC: Crack Detection Kits & Components - Crack Detection - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)
                          Spare is gone, it's also to replace the cover carrier which performed the same aero duties

Stripping vinyl - thankfully, I have a Paul for that - and yes, it's scratched so it won't be a #4 finish when its done (rather a brushed one)

baffling is after I finish the fill and pump portion

it will have substantial baffling

I like $10

Comment

• entire day, what did I get done? nothing

got the part to fix this...

nope

so I did put stuff in the motorhome and got a start on cleaning out the house in anticipation of a move.... but still, nothing.

Comment

• Sometimes nothing is the most we can muster. Carry on!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                somewhere in my workings, pedals will happen

between these and the rocketbunny wing, im pretty sure
                                youre required by law to also run a fartcan muffler......

Comment

Working...
                                X