Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gconnsr View Post
    The rims are sharp. I like the rear coilovers too. I just watched a video on how to convert and it doesn't look like a cheap endeavor. I'm guessing you noticed a major improvement in handling though.
    this is several light years better then the bolt on stuff. I welded in a rear clip from a 2010 Camaro SS... This is PF2, PF1 had all the 'upgrades' - and it was a huge improvement over stock but this car would make the last one look like a stuck pig.

PF1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a avatar pic.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	1316336
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 19, 2022, 11:13 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• fun fact about that car - when I sold it, the guy was going to drive it and flip it. 7 years later, he won't sell it....

Comment

• Originally posted by gconnsr View Post
        The rims are sharp. I like the rear coilovers too. I just watched a video on how to convert and it doesn't look like a cheap endeavor. I'm guessing you noticed a major improvement in handling though.
        See pages one through one-hundred-and-eighty-four for more info... Agreed about the wheels. Why risk (and pay for) aftermarket parts when Chevy has those, and it's not like anything else looks better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post

See pages one through one-hundred-and-eighty-four for more info... Agreed about the wheels. Why risk (and pay for) aftermarket parts when Chevy has those, and it's not like anything else looks better.
          lol, right.

most aftermarket wheels look the same now - all some form of spider web...some of reasons for using these: they're different without being odd; supply chain issues have delivery dates in June (or later); I trust GM's engineering - there are some awesome manufacturers but there are also some which are not; and the wheels are from the same year as all the rest of the suspension (2010)...

the 'spider' I'm talking about is some form of this - most wheels look like some version of this... not bad looking but all the same.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 20, 2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

lol, right.

most aftermarket wheels look the same now - all some form of spider web...some of reasons for using these: they're different without being odd; supply chain issues have delivery dates in June (or later); I trust GM's engineering - there are some awesome manufacturers but there are also some which are not; and the wheels are from the same year as all the rest of the suspension (2010)...

the 'spider' I'm talking about is some form of this - most wheels look like some version of this... not bad looking but all the same.
            Spider webs look cool.
            But the old fart in me likes more meat on the centers.. Maybe because of what I seen stock rims do? But then aluminum rims banned in derby anyway.
            Just seems more “breakable” to me..
            Hard cornering might snap the “web”?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Spider webs look cool.
              But the old fart in me likes more meat on the centers.. Maybe because of what I seen stock rims do? But then aluminum rims banned in derby anyway.
              Just seems more “breakable” to me..
              Hard cornering might snap the “web”?
              I like the design but I just bought that same design for Britney Spears... and all racing wheels, especially the respected brands, look the same. Also, that was more a stream of consciousness statement, not trying to convince anyone of anything...

Comment

• Spoiler is supported by the frame... I also put window glue in place to keep the warp and vibration transmission to a minimum

measuring done, time to make the tank support

keep in mind I was about 150 lbs light for where I'm racing.... I'll probably gain 30 or 40 lbs in this... all on the correct end

framework installed

not in love with the straps, however, I plan on supporting the defuser off them - so function trumps form

up the tank goes

very close - I wanted to make it solid but I wouldn't be able to get the fuel pump out if I did

last test fit, next up with the fill neck, lines attached, electrical attached and rubber protection on the metal bands

Comment

• Looks very clean from underneath, I like it.

Comment

• I think it's even odds whether or not I'll be driving Britney on my track day - April 6... I 'should' have all the parts I need on Thursday.... but should is not 'have'....

Comment

• a little further
                      wheels with tires on them

cut down the fill neck so I can use a flexible rubber hose for the offset

padding/rubber top and bottom

getting close... waiting on a fitting and the fill hose

Comment

• it runs again...

interior is back in it

next up? front stuff

looks all buff in the back.... but more to do...thankfully, this isn't a take the car mostly apart deal

also need to program and do weighing

Comment

• time to weigh

oh and I'm done with this argument.... the weight of a BBC powered C3 Corvette... 7 gallons of fuel in the tank

which does create a problem since 3200 is the minimum weight.... Optima weighs after the track sessions - the problem is 20 gallons is 120 lbs. - and without the driver (darn, my non-fitness program would finally pay off).... 30 minute on a track at high speed will burn more then 3 gallons..so I will be adding weight
                          so with that bad news, I figured I'd fix my window alignment

is 'fixed' the window won't go up again with the switch? oh good lord.

but it seems fixed as far as sealing - however, I'll be verifying this before I put the door panel back on
                          that's enough for tonight

Comment

• what it sounds like now

Comment

• Sounds good - does it stay reasonably quiet at higher RPM?
                              Is it going to be quiet enough to meet the sound restrictions?

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                                Sounds good - does it stay reasonably quiet at higher RPM?
                                Is it going to be quiet enough to meet the sound restrictions?
                                ~ish

I'm at 107, they'd like 103 but the line is 105. With that said, I know where the measuring point is - in fact, PIR is really clear about it - and I should be fine. Worse case I put the limiter at 4800 for the track sessions. That said, I shouldn't need to. The key phrase below - keep in mind that I'll be in a group of cars and honestly, the new Mustangs are louder...

and here's the rule
                                Portland International Raceway offers residents and people from throughout the region a place to play — with cars, motorcycles, bicycles and so much more — a compact 300-acre park setting filled with wetlands and wildlife.

and the key phrase

HOW PIR MONITORS SOUND LEVELS:

PIR operates a fixed microphone, 50 feet from the track, just past the bleacher on the front straight. This spot was chosen by an independent noise consultant to best capture highest sound levels from the various kinds of events held at PIR.

The microphone is attached to a digital sound meter. The data is recorded 24/7 as is audio recordings over the set limit. All the noise files are held, and given to the City's Noise Control Officer on request.

In addition to the fixed monitor, user groups are required to have a person in charge of events to monitor sound levels and remove vehicles from the track that exceed the limit (NOTE: that for all motorsports events, the top limit used is 103 dBA, rather than the City Code 105 dBA as it has been found to be closer to the ratio of 65 in the neighborhood). Typically, a vehicle that exceeds the limit is black flagged (taken off the track) and given one chance to make modifications or repairs to be below the limit. A second violation will mean a car will be removed from the competition or event for the rest of the day. On a following day, the vehicle in violation must re-tech, show what was done to remedy the violation, pass tech, and be re-checked on course via the sound monitor. If the vehicle fails again, it is disqualified from the entire event.

Comment

Working...
                                X