Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• so, to make it clear, Function>form, ALWAYS. I just think the short wing fits the car way better IMO.

There's a guy in the Fiero community who is running a NASCAR COT wing on his, he has a ton of track time in the car to tune it, and other aero mods that he has performed, because it has purpose, I think it's awesome, so likewise, if you continue tuning it to make the most of it, hell yeah!
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
      1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
      2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• adjust valves.... I figured I wouldn't have to warm up the motor since it was 100 degrees out....
        got motor hot, everything was too tight. Not by a lot, but the exhaust especially were 1/8-1/4 turn too tight

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• coming soon to a Corvette near me

Comment

• Front is 1.06 inches (26 mm), rear .961 (24 mm)

For the front I have from 1 1/4, 1 3/8, 1 1/2 (very expensive, very cool), for the rear, 38 mm but 3 adjustment points (38mm is within .05 inches of 1 1/2 inches)

The problem, as I see it, is that my car is substantially lighter then a Camaro....

here are the corner weights for the Camaro

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=704962&stc=1&d=1427756959.png
Views:	169
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1324510

digging up my scaling

so the million dollar question, (okay up to $2,000 question)... do I match front/rear sway bars? those front bars are all hollow....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 15, 2022, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Call me out if I am off(which I usually am) but, I would think the the camaro is factory tuned for understeer, and by having closer to 50/50 on your PF2 would tend to make it more neutral steering which would negate the added expense of buying new anti-roll bars....but, it's your car/money, so, it's your call...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• For my entertainment I would like to see you get a used torsion bar out of the JY cut splines in it and weld extensions to spider gears for adjustability.

In high school my first car 85 V6 T-Bird didn't come with a rear sway bar. I added one off a 84 V8 car. It seemed to handle curves better. I don't remember if that was before or after the rear end came around on a wet road one night. I blamed it on the Eagle STs with little tread and going to fast on wet roads.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Call me out if I am off(which I usually am) but, I would think the the camaro is factory tuned for understeer, and by having closer to 50/50 on your PF2 would tend to make it more neutral steering which would negate the added expense of buying new anti-roll bars....but, it's your car/money, so, it's your call...
                  the light you see under the right rear wheel would beg to differ

Comment

• hotchkis 1 3/16 front, UMI 1 1/4 rear

Talked to someone at a company other then hotchkis, who used to work for hotchkis - and we hashed out a solution. I love that he recommended his old employer but as he pointed out, they didn't have a solution.

Also, he suggested a smaller, rear tire... sacrilege, I know, but I think he's right... I'd order the new tires but I need to get the front dialed in (with the new bushings and locks) because I *might* be able to run a 295 front tire. Not a 315 like everyone else, but a lot closer then the 275 I have now

In other new, I'm regearing my other rear differential to 3.73 in hopes that it will keep my clutch alive (also a better limited slip)

Comment

• Brown Santa arrived today

18x10, 18x12.5

poor fgz, they're still too big for him.
                      forged, light weight

Apex gave me a deal on them, basically I paid the cast price for these (actually, a little less)... thanks Apex

Comment

• potato camera for the blur again
                        stock clearance

new wheel clearance

rear stock

rear new

I know this sounds really dumb but I'm going to cut the front fenders to put larger tires on it. right now, it's about 1/2" outside the fender on the stock side and 1" on the new side. With the changes I'm going to make the control arms, I'll have about 1/2 of that solved but I want 315 front tires, not 275. Bright side is I'll 'fix' the paint flaws the painter did when I do this and resolve a couple other paint issues... thankfully it's black and really easy to match

Comment

• Away way back in time when I had my flared-out Vega, w/ 245- and 265-50s which are big for a Vega, I believe I worked the fenders over two times. Yep, what's great about black...get out the grinder and do whatcha gotta do, re-finish and re-shoot and it'll look fine, and work better 'cause you fixed it.

Comment

• Tires... I can't do it. I keep trying to convince myself to either go square or go with the slicks as a rear tire - all to get a 200tw tire. I'm sorry, but 10% more contact patch should easily equal any 'better' traction I get from the smaller, narrower tire.
                            ... the comparison
                            the left is what's on the car now

now a 325 v. 345..... while I know what I just said above there is a 200tw tire from continental, problem is the rear is a 345 not 325.

not bad until you realize that where it doesn't really fit would be nearly impossible to make a decent-looking flare

I hate to say it but either I'm going with a right size tire and the wider front (which is where most of the problem lay) in a 340 or so tw.... but now that that's out there - talk me out of it....

in other news, rear, adjustable sway bar from UMI

and new Hotchkis for the front...

and new gears... 3.91s (not 3.73 as previously reported).... I know, I know, I wasn't thrilled with them in the 06 GTO I had, but I think this is different because bigger tire, more hp and lighter car. At this point, 2000 rpm in 5th gear is 85 mph.... and I'm frying the clutch taking off from a standing start.... bonus is big smoke shows.

and adding a cooler to the rear diff

what is wrong with me? (rhetorical, sit down FGZ)... I won't spend the dollars to toss the lunchbox lockers out of my FJ40 but will spend it to upgrade to a geared limited slip in the C3?

the '40 would be so much better with E or Air lockers... but oh well, the joy of driving it long distances in ice more than makes up for it (in white hair and early aging). Actually, there is reason why I haven't yet* - but might as well paint with the brush I have now....

*changing the gear ratio too to match the new trans.... and maybe when I diesel it the ratio might need to change too

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

what is wrong with me? (rhetorical, sit down FGZ)...

*dejectedly sits down*

Comment

• Aren't the slicks possibly a stickier compound also? If they are then a smaller slick might stick to the track better than a larger, harder tread compound.

Comment

Working...
                                X