The Wanderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wanderer

Anyone who knows me knows that I like outdoor humor. Patrick McManus, of course, Rick Sieman? absolutely. What, you don't know Rick Sieman? in the 80s there were two crusty guys who wrote for offroad magazine. Granville King wrote one with Superdawg is sidekick, Rick Siemans wrote "the Wanderers" If I get really enthusiastic, I'll intersperse stories from him but the nutshell was a Suburban with every creature comfort that was designed to go overland camping before overland camping was a thing. This is my tribute. No, it won't have a 454 but will be more modern with diesel power. For now, the turbo 6.2 stays but this project will evolve over time so if a duramax or cummins falls into my lap - it will be changed.

So here is the basis.... a 1985 Grandpa-fresh 6.2 Turbo diesel with turbo 400 trans and 3/4 ton running gear. Dana 44 front, non-floater 14 bolt rear.

first order will be redneckepticomy (remove the added wires)

One thing I've been considering is putting a a/c system in that is not motor-running dependent. We do SAR, and having A/C that operates for up to 8 hours without running the motor is on the list of things to research/do. That may include putting the a/c system from a Volt in it (with the battery pack)... don't know yet but it is coming. Also it will have storage, a bed, a sink, a cooler and a stove. Both the stove and the refrigerator will have a gas option (like propane). I don't like diesel stoves so that's off the list though it seems like a natural fit. On top of this, it will have sufficient water (20-40 gallons)....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

SBG: That looks like an exceptionally clean old barge! Most of the ones up this way have holes big enough to put your fist in all over, never mind the known weak spots

BTW: Is this Rick Siemans the same fellow that used to write for either Dirt Bike or Motocross Action, If so, IIRC, his handle in the MC mag was Super Hunky.....
    Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; January 31, 2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I've been looking for something like that recently after some snowy winter travels chained up in a front wheel drive, but you can keep the stinky rattly underpowered diesel. I'll take a 454 version any day.

Devin

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
        SBG: That looks like an exceptionally clean old barge! Most of the ones up this way have holes big enough to put your fist in all over, never mind the known weak spots

BTW: Is this Rick Siemans the same fellow that used to write for either Dirt Bike or Motocross Action, If so, IIRC, his handle in the MC mag was Super Hunky.....
        Yep, he is.... he also wrote some political stuff that was, well, a bit out there...(being charitable)

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
          I've been looking for something like that recently after some snowy winter travels chained up in a front wheel drive, but you can keep the stinky rattly underpowered diesel. I'll take a 454 version any day.

Devin
          then it's a damn good thing I didn't buy it for you.

Comment

Where do you find these clean relics? Is there no rust at all in the Northwest? Sheesh!
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

It's years of living right, going to church, praying for James, and other good deeds (like suing only those who needed suing). Plus, losing copious amounts of oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and diesel helps as well.

Comment

Looks like a nice find! Didn't you just tell us you didn't want to buy a suburban?

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-wanna-buy-one

This is the second in a week!

edit: I like the other one too - as a donor
                Last edited by 74NovaMan; January 31, 2017, 02:30 PM.
                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

All I see round here is JUNK!
                  Two deals in a week.. I really should hate you!

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                    Looks like a nice find! Didn't you just tell us you didn't want to buy a suburban?

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-wanna-buy-one

This is the second in a week!

edit: I like the other one too - as a donor
                    yes but I love my wife, would rather not go looking for another....

plus.. I didn't buy A Suburban, I bought 2

Comment

Oooooo....that's a good line. I'm going to steal that one.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        having A/C that operates for up to 8 hours without running the motor ]
                        Would save space to have some auxiliary little gas motor run the orig compressor and cooling fan, and feed off the normal gasoline tank...there's room where the pass-side battery goes (which could move) but there'd be some drive challenges to be connecting off the side and switching between normal engine running for on the road, and the aux for when parked.

Plus side is, it'd run 'til the fuel supply quit w/o having to worry, and avoid the whole total secondary system.

Comment

So what you are telling me is your wife has you working on a new project to keep you out of trouble? I like it! I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Love it . In your defense .....you only bought 1 Corvette . 1 Yukon ( denali ) and 1 Suburban . Since you want it to be diesel in its final form , I think its great that you started with one . Although I'd like a 454 . I know ,,,, you didn't buy it for me . LOL
                            P.S. I loved Grandville Kings stuff .
                            Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 31, 2017, 08:45 PM.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I drive a 454 dualie crew 4x4... NINE mpg!

Comment

Working...
                              X