The Wanderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

I saw this rig a while back, to say it looks tough is an understatement, there's also a sticker on the back that reads "think it's slow now, wait until I go uphill" LOL...
    if you're not on deployment, you really should come. It's a lot of fun and a lot of great people.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

if you're not on deployment, you really should come. It's a lot of fun and a lot of great people.
      NWOR Right? I might, depends on how the Pig is doing, I know it needs a little love here and there before I do anymore fun trips. it does make a fantastic DD though, so good in fact, that the battery(new a year ago) in my 06 2500 is dead from sitting...
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
      1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
      2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• and the house batteries in the Suburban are deaddeaddead.... lovely.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• The whale is about to get some love. But first an aside. I was right, I can admit it here because my wife doesn't come in here.... she came encumbered with a Prius and a Smart car. She drives a Jeep and "hates" the Suburban.... but does she? I haven't driven it in months..... she has.... it's just 'handy' - yep, she still 'hates' it but it's become the yardstick by which her next vehicle is measured. I've said it before and I'll said it again.... you can't have just one Suburban and once you do you will either own (at least) one or have sold yours and you're looking for another. I have a lot of really neat cars, but if it all hit the fan - the one 'car' I'm taking is the Suburban....

this thing is going to get some love.... it gets custom cages, cleaned up, new tires and I'll continue to beat it for every penny of the $300 it owes me.

these rims came from the 38s that are on my '40. when I knocked them apart for the beadlocks, I realized these are pretty expensive (at the time) internal bead lock rims (think circa 1990s)... my wheels on my Colorado have the same idea - but these were the first.... and the work but chrome is so 90s.

clean em up

the bead locks

and now they're black

Comment

• Hell yeah! I still love my "Pig-Rig". I'm thinking about taking it to Moab, or Arches, or the Rubicon soon, but I need to make some critical improvements first, like a set of sliders, and some underbody armor for the oil pans, and a transmission cooler....
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
              1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
              2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
                Hell yeah! I still love my "Pig-Rig". I'm thinking about taking it to Moab, or Arches, or the Rubicon soon, but I need to make some critical improvements first, like a set of sliders, and some underbody armor for the oil pans, and a transmission cooler....
                it may go to Moab, but it'd be towing my '40....

Comment

• new shoes

Comment

• So are they made in the US those tyres? Australia only makes car sized tyres now and anything the size of the two sets you've purchased is imported so $$$
                    At a guess if you'd purchased those eight tyres in Australia your pocket would be $3500 AUD lighter.

I do like black on black
                    Last edited by 65RHDEER; December 4, 2020, 05:49 PM.
                    Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                      So are they made in the US those tyres? Australia only makes car sized tyres now and anything the size of the two sets you've purchased is imported so $$$
                      At a guess if you'd purchased those eight tyres in Australia your pocket would be $3500 AUD lighter.

I do like black on black
                      not even 1/2 that.... granted, the smaller set are China's best... did they pass a law making the bush easier to manage?
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 4, 2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• My 80 sitting on top of Big Red on the eastern side of the Simpson Desert, we were at the start of a crossing in Sept 16.

I like the black tyres on black rims look. My 80 is set up for touring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1525.JPG Views:	0 Size:	584.6 KB ID:	1284464
                        Last edited by 65RHDEER; December 5, 2020, 09:45 PM.
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

Comment

• I wish I could pop on down and wheel there.... who knows, maybe I'll be rich someday...

in other news.
                          a bit of sawzall work and the tires fit like they were made for it.... which is good, we're heading out for a trip soon....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I wish I could pop on down and wheel there.... who knows, maybe I'll be rich someday...
                            The Dirt biking is good also... I know a bloke...

Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

The Dirt biking is good also... I know a bloke...
                              I may hold you to that....

So, went to Idaho for New Year's, drove from Boise to Seattle (even had to pop it into 4wd once). 483 miles, 31 gallons of fuel with the defroster (A/C) going the entire way, on a motor with 230,000 miles. Tell me again why people hate the 6.2/6.5 so much? I didn't stop for fuel and still could have gone at least a 100 more miles before it was in the red. And before the "it's slow" hate. Left at 9 am, got to Seattle at 5 (with a 1 1/2 hour traffic jam on Snoqualmie).... 70-80 mph the entire way, if the dogs and I had stronger bladders, we would have been faster - but alas, 2 stops for poo were required.

At the risk of people finally realizing the US Armed forces weren't stupid with them in their Humvees and therefore raising the price on them.... they're a damn good motor. Not just that but the throw-away turbo from the 5.7 Cummins is a nice upgrade. You won't win any races but I paid $300 for my diesel Suburban... tell me about how much you spent for your 200,000 mile Dodge....

Comment

• Cool that your Suburban is doing what you need it to do. I still love my Dodge with almost 300K miles and after some recent repairs (the ol' boy was leaking in a couple of spots) I expect to drive him for at least another 100K - some of that towing Mutt - assuming I last that long. No disrespect to your rig intended. They're both great vehicles.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X