No announcement yet.

Tote Gote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't seem to need a pit bike when I'm at the races. It would be fun for effect, though.

Went for a very short ride around my yard. Clutch sticks...throttle kind of works...brakes kind of work...kill switch (new addition) works...

Click image for larger version

Name:	first ride.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	1144517
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Went for a very short ride around my yard. Clutch sticks...throttle kind of works...brakes kind of work...kill switch (new addition) works...
      In other words, it works just like it did when new
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Probably almost that good. I think the clutch sticking would have been a problem.

My fabulous web page

Comment

A friend had one of those a few years ago. It was fun to putt around on. Neat score!

Devin

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Probably almost that good. I think the clutch sticking would have been a problem.

you remember those scars I attribute to a 'gote? yeah, clutch lol
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 4, 2017, 10:53 PM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

rats. I think I buried some of those starters when dad filled his pool. I could have been a starter tycoon! lol. If the plunger for the point(s) wasn't spewing a little oil, doesn't sound like it's got a lot of hours on it. Cool deal!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It doesn't look to have a lot of hours, and also looks like it was not messed with much, I'd be surprised if the flywheel had ever been off before. The carb all looks very original, too. I suppose I should buy a carb kit, next.

Although I need to deal with the clutch, one way or another. It might just be sticking because it's dirty and a bit rusty. But I tried pulling the clutch, and it would not come off easily...and one of the guys on the old mini bike forum says they're a bitch to remove. I may build a stout puller that can pull evenly on the entire circumference, instead of just at 3 points.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

little update...I got the clutch off, cleaned it up, and went for a longer drive. It works pretty well, although the carb is still acting up. So I took that apart. Usual collection of dirt, etc. I need to order a kit for it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Just whatever you do, don't start messing around and bypassing the governor, probably now scars happen. Last time I was on a mini bike I think I had a few beers and it didn't have brakes. No scars though.
                    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

I like governors on little motors...then I can run it full throttle all the time, and it wont' blow up
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

That cleaned up clutch looks great! Reminds me of a transmission you recently went through.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I dragged the Tote Gote out of the shop yesterday, and got it running again. Fixed the broken spring in the pull starter, played with the carb some. Today I took the carb apart and played with it more, I put the old float valve back in, because the new one kept dripping. It's working pretty well now, but I need to do something about the drive belt--it's a bit too short, and doesn't "disconnect" completely, so it's kind of dangerous, you have to keep the brakes on all the time when sitting still, and starting it can get interesting if things go wonky.

Doing more research, I found a Gates belt number in an older Gates catalog, that has the right dimensions, and they mention in that section that this type belt is used with belt clutches. I found one NOS on ebay for five bucks, free shipping. We'll see if it gets here, then I can install it and see how it does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	1266617
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Looks like a lot of FUN !!

Comment

Haven't seen one of those in decades! Don't let it bite you.

Dan

Comment

Drag Week pit bike?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X