• Show
Clear All

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Whoa, that is way before my time!

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Whenever I'm reading this thread I can't get this tune out of my head!

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Same as this?

My kid's car has no lighter and is resisting putting one in.. Something like the one you posted would work very well..

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    So? The USB charger gets wired to 12 volt power in place of a cig lighter?
    You will be able to charge a phone with battery power?
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; February 20, 2017, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    After I finish addressing the carburetor issues I'll move on to the wiring. I will likely be scrapping most the wiring and re-doing it. I've bought a six switch mounting panel and six switches to mount on the left side of the upper shell to manage the electrical system.

I bought two momentary switches, one to start the engine and one to possibly install a horn.

I bought three light up switches. One red for main power, one blue for lights, and a green one for a yet to be determined accessory, but may be for a high pressure EFI fuel pump later.

And for the last port a nifty two port USB charger set with volt meter.

And I noticed there was a little pocket on the right hand side of the dash, perfect for setting a cell phone or something in during a leisure drive, so I bought another USB charger set but do to space I opted to get this remote ports one and just have the cables ran into the pocket.

So the immediate plan is to get it running well, get the electrical sorted out and probably get new tires all the way around. The plans afterwards is to see about raising the roll bar up another 3 inches or so (for head clearance) and add a cross bar to mount a set of shoulder harnesses, maybe making a taller seat back at the same time. Though the plan is to make it run perfectly well with the carb I'm thinking next winter I might install an EFI system on the 2-stroke.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I rebuilt the carb this week, it is definitely a Mukuni Round BN carburetor. It was perfectly clean on the inside, so hopefully simply re-gasketing/o-ringing it will make a difference. The mystery hole is indeed unthreaded and doesn't require a needle, but one of the needles was missing the washer that helps compress/seal the o-ring to the body, so that may or may not have been an issue, but in either case it won't be one now. I still hope to EFI it in the next year or so, but want the carb to work well until at least then and perhaps as a back up to the electronics as well.

The more I'm diving into it, the more I believe a significant part of the running issue was with the mis-plumbing of the fuel lines. The impulse line was ran to a gas tank return port (and capped on the engine), so the fueling was dependent on gravity and with the check valves in the carb body and relatively low fuel level in the tank, I bet it didn't run well.

I picked up a choke cable and evacuation pump, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to hook up the choke and change out the transmission fluid just so I know it's topped off and fresh.

Yeah I will probably put a plug in that tire. I think three of the six tires are flat (though the one with the nail isn't one of them!), but it's hard to tell without a gauge because specification is only 2 psi. Summit has tires in stock for it for $64 each, which isn't bad.

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    I dug and dug because I wanted to appear super smart about that carb.

Yeah, you're on your own, there. Mikuni's tend to be pretty easy to tune once you understand the basics, though. I'd be tempted to swap in something common and cheap, personally.

Also that tire, ouch.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    Mikuni are good carbs and can be finicky but once set up should provide a long service life. I have not seen this type before but as mentioned previously I would look at bikebandit. I also did a search for "vintage mikuni carbs" cand came up with a few images that look identicle to yours but I cannot access the sites from work. The sites were for vintage go-carts.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Rebuild kits are around $20 and carbs appear to be around $120. I'm going to try my luck with the carb while assembling the parts to EFI it. I've been reading up on 2-stroke EFI strategies using a MAF sensor instead of MAP. I think if I go with the MAF sensor for fueling I can plug the MAP sensor into the muffler and maybe determine other running tweaks for the 2-stroke, but that is a pretty long ways off from being done.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I had better luck with the China carb than the rebuild kit on the wood chipper. It only cost about twice what the rebuild kit was. If you can fine one that fits and is not to expensive I would buy it.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Looking at the manual some more, it appears I am missing the "Idle jet screw". Think that would be a good reason why it would idle/run like crap when it does start? It also seems to be some kind of bastard carb between a stock Tillotson and a Mikuni round SB. The body clearly says Mikuni but looks almost exactly like the Tillotson in the manual except how it mounts to the engine, which looks like neither carburetor.

The hole on the left.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Vintagesleds.com may be a resource. First I would try BikeBandit.com though. While they don't have everything, they do cover a LOT.

That said, I found some carb stuff for my'83 Honda ATC on ebay that BikeBandit didn't have.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    **Edit, I ordered a $20 kit off Amazon that I believe to be the correct one based on the pictures of the gaskets in the manual and on the ad. Crossing my fingers.

Hmm, of course after looking for 20+ minutes last night to no avail, five minutes after posting this I look up a service manual for the engine (for a snowmobile) and I see the carb is an HR model AND the hoses are not plumbed correctly as the impulse line is ran back to the gas tank and the impulse port on the block is capped off. Still have to come up with a place to get a kit.

http://www.vintagesnow.com/Engine_ma...woStrokeSM.pdf
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 9, 2017, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I'm having trouble identifying the carburetor to get a rebuild kit. It's a Minkuni brand, which is common, but I cannot seem to find one that looks like this one, particularly with the multiple gaskets on the float bowl(?). I haven't seen any numbers on it yet. Look familiar to anyone? I may simply go and look for a new 2-stroke carb of roughly the same size since it has a pretty universal small engine clamp style mount. Just have to measure the diameter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X