The Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tank

Introducing the latest mechanical addition to my collection that for the time being I am referring to as "The Tank"

It's MAX II 6x6 amphibious vehicle. I've been looking at them for a few years now, but they don't come up for sale around here too often. Several folks at work told me I wouldn't like them because they are fairly slow, have no suspension, high maintenance and to just get a new Razor or such. But I'm drawn to the skidsteer and six wheels. I didn't really want to spend $6k on one to find I didn't like it, but I picked this one up for $700 so the buy in point was right and of course needs some work, and nearly as I can tell mostly electrical and cosmetic.

Here it is in the garage next to the Firebird. It's about 4.5ft wide by just short of 8ft so it should fit on the utility trailer I took on drag week.

It's powered by a Kohler 440 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine. I heard it run, although poorly. The carburetor looks like it could use some attention. The choke isn't hooked up, it's got fuel/oil staining around the gaskets, etc. So it'll be my first focus of attention.

I've read through the transmission manual/print out that came with it and the linkages all seem to be in good repair and do what they are supposed to. The chains and sprockets appear to be in good shape and tension, as do the belts. It has a new seat as well.

The wiring is certifiably hacked, as none of the lights are wired in, the ignition switch has been replaced with a push button for the electric starer, etc. The bottom tub is missing the two drain plugs and has a fair amount of oil, grime and debris in it, so I have to get that all cleaned out. I won't worry about the plugs until I really decide how much water I'll actually be crossing through (little to none in the near term I suspect). The upper shell has a few cracks in it and could use a touch up on the black paint. I'd like to get storage rack for over the engine to place an ice chest or such as well as some kind of awning for shade. I'd like to drive this around Bonneville and shade would be nice.

Pending how well I can get the 2-stroke running, you know my first inclination is to EFI it. Harbor Freight sells a 22-HP 4-stroke engine that can be got for $560 after a 20% off coupon and I know I could EFI that thing. Several people on the 6x6 forum have swapped them in with good success, just need a new $225 clutch to match up with the different power band. It's a taller power plant and would probably need the upper shell cut, but again, the upper shell is far from perfect so that isn't much of a concern. I have a MegaSquirt 1 that I could wire in, the gas tank is nice and high so gravity feeding a small surge tank would be easy and run a small high pressure pump down low with a pair of fuel injectors and it should go pretty easy. I would leave the carburetor hooked up as a throttle body and back up with a simple ball valve to shut off the fuel. If I run into "electrical issues" in the field, turn the valve, and fire it up with the carb. I will have to watch amperage draws or mount an external alternator, which some folks do when running a winch and big lights (pre-LED days). For now though, I'm going to see how well I can get the 2-stroke running.

Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 6, 2017, 10:08 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

I just bought one of those 22hp HF engines. Be aware that you cannot use the 20% coupon on Predator engines............at least IN-HOUSE.

BUT....if you order online, and pay the $6.99 freight (yes, they actually shipped it for that price) you can get the system to accept a 20% off coupon. Have several handy, their system may refuse several of them, but if you keep trying you will find one that it WILL accept.

We had one of those Tanks as kids. Great fun. Darn things will go ANYWHERE if you have the patience.....they are somewhat slow, and ride is definitely not cushy, but at those speeds it doesn't really need to be cushy.

Great score for that price!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Yeah, for the price I really couldn't pass it up. The wife is still not impressed but hopefully come spring and a few camping trips and she'll change her mind! My real goal is to get a MAX IV, the 4-seater, but the price point for most of them is several thousand. Better to find out if I even like the damn things before spending that much.

Good to know about the coupon(s) and ordering the engine. Hopefully I can put that off for some time.

The new seat is pretty cushy, but I haven't actually driven it anywhere either. At least Bonneville is flat Unfortunately due to my height I sit taller in it than I hoped, so less chance of doing something creative with seat suspension. If I can get 20mph on flat ground I'll be happy, and from what I hear that is about as fast as you'd want to go in one!
      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 6, 2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I remember those for sale in the back of mags, always thought that they were cool. Looks like a fun project.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

nice score! A carb kit is probably not real expensive, and should keep you busy for a while. I discovered something interesting about the golf cart I had...they all use the same key, so the idiot who mangled the electric system before I got it, because he lost the key, was a first class idiot.

Sound real similar to my new tote got project, but on a larger scale. Should be fun!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

best of all, they float. I would make sure it doesn't leak, though, before I set out across the great salt lake.

I like UTVs, but every time I get close to purchasing one, I think "but I can build a Willys for 20% of the cost that is road legal everywhere"
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              nice score! A carb kit is probably not real expensive, and should keep you busy for a while. I discovered something interesting about the golf cart I had...they all use the same key, so the idiot who mangled the electric system before I got it, because he lost the key, was a first class idiot.

Sound real similar to my new tote got project, but on a larger scale. Should be fun!

I think it already had a mangled electrical system before the guy I got it from, but he was definitely the one that removed the key switch! He said he got it in horse trading stuff and just ended up with it (he had a TON of junk around his place) and it didn't have a key.

Comment

Any of you 2-stroke junkies use an automatic oiler instead of pre-mixing?

Comment

We do on the sleds. Polaris and Yamaha.

Had a Kasawaki dual purpose dirt-bike once. Got it with the oiler non-functional, PO said he always pre-mixed it. I cleaned the crudded up lines and oiler out one afternoon, only took an hour or so. It worked fine afterwards. Not a whole lot to those automatic oilers, at least the ones I've had.

Comment

I've fixed too many machines that had the oil mixer fail. They work a lot better now, but still don't trust them....
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Did they fail due to crud/blockage? Or something mechanical?

Just curious. I would understand the blockage thing, some guys just can't be bothered to clean the filthy crud off before they fill the oil tank. Lots of nasty can end up in that little tank.

Comment

My Kaw H2 oiler quit on the middle cylinder..
                        Premix for me now..

Comment

Does this one have a place to mount an outboard motor?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

This is going to be one of those things that ends up with a turbo and EFI isn't it?
                            Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                            1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                            1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
                              This is going to be one of those things that ends up with a turbo and EFI isn't it?

If all goes well

People mount electric trolling motors on them fairly regularly.

Comment

Working...
                              X