No announcement yet.

The Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After I finish addressing the carburetor issues I'll move on to the wiring. I will likely be scrapping most the wiring and re-doing it. I've bought a six switch mounting panel and six switches to mount on the left side of the upper shell to manage the electrical system.

I bought two momentary switches, one to start the engine and one to possibly install a horn.

I bought three light up switches. One red for main power, one blue for lights, and a green one for a yet to be determined accessory, but may be for a high pressure EFI fuel pump later.

And for the last port a nifty two port USB charger set with volt meter.

And I noticed there was a little pocket on the right hand side of the dash, perfect for setting a cell phone or something in during a leisure drive, so I bought another USB charger set but do to space I opted to get this remote ports one and just have the cables ran into the pocket.

So the immediate plan is to get it running well, get the electrical sorted out and probably get new tires all the way around. The plans afterwards is to see about raising the roll bar up another 3 inches or so (for head clearance) and add a cross bar to mount a set of shoulder harnesses, maybe making a taller seat back at the same time. Though the plan is to make it run perfectly well with the carb I'm thinking next winter I might install an EFI system on the 2-stroke.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So? The USB charger gets wired to 12 volt power in place of a cig lighter?
      You will be able to charge a phone with battery power?
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; February 20, 2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Same as this?

My kid's car has no lighter and is resisting putting one in.. Something like the one you posted would work very well..

Comment

Whenever I'm reading this thread I can't get this tune out of my head!

Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Whoa, that is way before my time!

Comment

All the switches came in today. I am thinking of putting them on the left side here though I know they'd be at risk of my knee bumping them, so it's not a final decision yet.

Comment

put a drawer pull above and below the switch panel...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Not a bad idea, I was thinking of something like that but didn't think of a draw pull. I wonder if there are 8" wide ones?

Comment

Not quite the same design but they are out there!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

After sitting in the machine and looking around, I don't think it's going to be necessary to put a bracket around it.

Got a bit done today. The three big things is getting the carb fully hooked up, choke and all, and changed out the transmission fluid if you can call it that and adjusted the chains. Maybe I'll get it fired up tomorrow?

I pulled the upper plug on the T20 and stuck a suction tube down it and basically got nothing out. When I pulled the tube out there was just a bit of fluid on the side of the tube. So I removed the lower plug and stuck the tube in there and essentially the same. The T20 was essentially dry, just a splash on the internals, so hopefully it hasn't be ran much like that. I poured in a quart of an ATF/limited slip additive mix and it just barely started dribbling out the bottom hole, so it was empty and now set right where it needs to be. Most the chains were pretty good, but a few were a bit loose. Wasn't much trouble tightening them up. I was surprised how few turns of the adjustment bolts it took to put them into tension, then of course backed them off a smidgen for proper slack.

I got the choke hooked up, but it required flipping the choke rod to the other side of the carb because I couldn't get the bracket to fit with throttle cable bracket. The universal choke cable from the auto parts store is too short, so for now I'm just running it out of the engine bay when I out the top shell down, but the key point is it'll work. I got the impulse and fuel line hooked up properly as well.

I was looking more at the switch panel location and I think I am good with it to the left of the seat. I was looking at the left dash panel location and I'd have to move the Ammeter over if I wanted to fit it there.

If I put it right where the duct tape is I think it's would sit clear of me accidentally bumping it with my leg. I pretty much put my hip on the edge of the seat but with how my legs go into the front it steers clear of the side.

I haven't wired it in, but looking closer at the pocket on the dash there was already a crack/hole on the side of it, so it looks like a plan is coming together there.

Comment

If it's been said, I didn't see it... nobody wants to talk about the sink parts for the air cleaner assembly? That's awesome.

Last edited by Beagle; February 26, 2017, 03:54 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          If it's been said, I didn't see it... nobody wants to talk about the sink parts for the air cleaner assembly? That's awesome.
                          You mean the drain pipe from a kitchen for an air filter??

Comment

Pretty slick eh? The guy I bought it from specifically mentioned it to me, lol. Has a nice 3-bolt to pipe adapter on the carb too. I can make a snorkel if I have to!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Pretty slick eh? The guy I bought it from specifically mentioned it to me, lol. Has a nice 3-bolt to pipe adapter on the carb too. I can make a snorkel if I have to!
                              Make it taller for a RAM effect

Comment

Big day today, got it fired up and for the bit it ran it sounded healthy.

I mixed up some more oil/fuel to be sure there was plenty of gas, gave it a few cranks with the choke set and promptly flooded it. I determined I had the throttle blades closed too far, coincidentally today I received a USB bore scope camera for my cellphone so I took the opportunity and removed the carb and spark plugs to air it out and inspect it. Looks like the piston tops have seen better day, not really sure if it's detonation or debris, but either way I'm not overly worried about it going forward and will let it ride. The inside of the ports and in the block are perfectly clean.

After the inspection I put the carb and plugs back on, dialed up the idle screw a hair and it fired right up! Started smoking up the garage pretty quickly and went to shut it down and found the toggle switch on the dash I was trusting didn't shut the engine off! So I pulled the negative battery cable off the battery, which didn't do anything either! Put it back on and got a pair of pliers and pulled the spark plug wires off the plugs! I looked around and found a fuse wired up under the dash so I fired it up again and pulled the fuse, which I suppose unsurprisingly did nothing. So I pulled the plug wires again. I did notice the ammeter works though. I plan on a full re-wire, but in the mean time I need to look up what wires should be connected to the toggle switch to shut it down.

The left piston.

Right piston.

Both skirts show expected wear/damage after seeing the piston tops. Again, I'm not going to do anything about it.

Clean ports.

Under the pistons, inside the block looked brand new.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take it down the driveway and back to see how the T-20 is.

Comment

Working...
                                X