Need help with settting up my Chevelle for new motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, been a bit hectic .... copy this guy
    Hi Everybody. This is my 1964 El Camino. Im building it for my wife to drive around but I have a feeling Im gonna be doing most of the driving.:) Its going to be a
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Comment

Nothing Strange about those axles.

Dan

Comment

With over 600 hp, you will have trouble keeping it slower than 11.50 if it hooks. My 406 had less than that, and ran 11.0's with 4.30 gears. My car now has 3.31 gears and wold still be turning some rpm's on the interstate at 75 mph. 295/50's are only about 26" tall. My tires are 275/60's, which are about 28" tall. Tire size and gear choice both determine cruising rpm.

So, I'd suggest a nice mild gear so you can cruise the highways comfortably.

Like Dan said, do the safety stuff with the clutch and bell housing now, and do other upgrades later. Consider that your stock cooling system may not keep the 496 cool - you may have to spend some coin on a good radiator and whatnot.

Rear sway bar (anti-roll bar) and boxed lower trailing arms may already be on your car - if not, a good upgrade.

Get it running and driving, then drive it and see what it needs.

Comment

I did new 373 but a 27 inch tire one inch bigger so it will be like a 355, 295/50/15 x10 5.5

Comment

Comment

275x60x15 are around 3000 rpms at 70mph with a 3.50 gear... At 640 hp you are going to be quick I have 470 hp at 3870 weight and run 11.50 ET
                Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Well looks like I'll be able to just baby it more and still run a time with out being to hard to it lol

Comment

Comment

One argument for a cage is it'll make the car a whole lot stiffer. I'd look for a good suspension book too. I have one on stock cars, meaning track that has a pretty good section on rear suspensions. Raising the upper links making them higher then body mount location produces anti squat. As the pinion gear tries to climb the ring gear it's rotating the housing which in turn is trying to make the upper link level to the ground that plants the tires into the pavement.
                      Last edited by Huskinhano; April 27, 2017, 11:44 AM.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

On a true SS that has survived 48 years, it would be a shame to cut holes in floors and weld roll bars to the frame.

Yes, you own a car and can do what you want to it, but really, if you just want to go fast, get a car that isn't (and likely never will be) more valuable if left stock. A 6 cylinder Malibu, for instance, is probably going to be worth more if it IS modified. A 4 door, have fun! A true Super Sport... best left stock - or as the OP suggested earlier, only bolt-on changes that can be easily put back to stock.

Comment

I think yellow malibu is right, for some cars. I get preserving very rare cars. The Chevelle? you can build an entire new car without one piece that ever went down a GM production line. If you're a preservationist - never, ever take it down a track; never, ever drive it on the street. A Chevelle, even a Chevelle SS, is rare enough that if pampered would never pay off... ever. Trash it? of course not, drill a bunch of holes that can be metal-finished back to stock.... get on it, it may save the car because those things are so noodle-soft in the frame that stiffening it up would really help it stay between the ditches.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 29, 2017, 07:15 AM.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What about boxing the frame ?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X