No announcement yet.

B-Body Unconventional Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry gentlemen been away working and just got to read up on all your posts. although i would love to drop in a power plant and tranny that would be more respectable. i dont see that happening in the near future. so, i think im going to start with wheels tires and the suspension upgrades some of you have suggested. dan barlow said i could go 295 but my desire is a 15x10 in the rear and and 15x8 in the front any ideas for backspacing and offset for those sizes????

Comment

you will have to take the time to double check, but a set of corvette 15X8 ralleys would work with dog dish center caps...albeit without bowties...also, keep an eye out for the full size olds from 1968-1976...they were available with the 455 and even the later models were a better stareting point from a durability standpoint... all should bolt up to your transmission once properly built and modified... look for complete 88's or 98's or even custom cruiser wagons. you would be suprised at what you might find on CL or local classifieds when someone cleans out grandmas garage... Good Luck and Welcome to the family!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

. dan barlow said i could go 295 but my desire is a 15x10 in the rear and and 15x8 in the front any ideas for backspacing and offset for those sizes????[/QUOTE]

Back in the early 80s I had a 79 Impala .I had M50s on the front (14×8 cragar SS on the front )and N50s on the rear (15×10 cragar SS on the rear ). These were deep dish offset . The only thing I had to do was put sears coil over boster shocks on it to keep the fenders from hitting the tires on bumps with 2 adults in the back . So , offset not that big a deal unless your worried about scrub radius. The N50 I think is a hair bigger than a 295 being 12 inches wide . Yeah , I looked it up , 12" =304mm or round up to 305 . Plus you could may drop some sidewall and go down to a 40 series . The M50s Im guessing was 10 or 11 inches wide . You'll need to figure out how tall they are to find a 15 inch tire of the same height ..
        Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 27, 2017, 05:11 AM.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

A junkyard turbo may be the way to go for a cheap power upgrade.

Comment

Junkyard 455...get all the brackets pulley's, etc, etc. rebuilt the Q-jet and just run it. This is admittedly a gamble, but I've done the "motor of unknown origin" thing twice in my life and both times I got a decent runner for mere hundreds. Spend some time doing the analysis before you buy...valve covers off, plug inspection, compression text, oil pressure check can be done without actually firing the engine. I bought a J code Ford 302 4V in a '68 Mercury Monterrey (actually got the whole car including a second parts car) that had kissed a guardrail for $300. The engine was dirty, but I could see through the grime the heads and intake were a slightly different shade of Ford blue. I surmised it had a valve job in it's past, pulling the valve cover pretty much confirmed it. Couldn't fire it because the radiator was trashed in the accident. When I got it home I threw a known good Holley 600 on it, rigged up a radiator, changed fluids and it fired right up. That was 1999. The 302 went in my dad's '66 Mustang rag top a few weeks later where he has put 60k miles on it since. It doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes and you could drive it from Vegas to Florida tomorrow without batting an eye.

But, your best bang for the buck is likely a SB Chevy.

Good luck!

Comment

For the 8 inch front's, you will want the standard 4 to 4 1/2" back spacing. For the 15x10's rear, more like 5 to 5 1/2" back spacing to get them tucked in. But, get in the wheel well and look for things like axle snubber brackets, frame bulge around spring pocket. You may need to do what I had to do get 15x10's on the back of my '70 Caprice, the lower shock bolt might hit the wheel or just the wheel balancing weight. I redrilled the hole on the shock bracket up and in 1 inch to clear the wheel. On 17's or bigger, this isn't a problem. Do the measuring from the face of the brake drum back to whatever is closest that the wheel and tire might hit. On my '64 Galaxie, it was a bracket for an axle snubber. Without that thing, I could get a 10 inch wide wheel in there no problem. A couple cheap rulers duct taped together can look for obstacles for big wheels.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Have we determined if his car is 5x4.5in or 5x5in bolt pattern?
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

5x4.75 or 5x5.00"
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Sedan, smaller
                    Wagons, bigger..

Comment

You're correct Scott, miss typed about the GM intermediate pattern

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Sedan, smaller
                      Wagons, bigger..
                      Not always, you could get the sedans with 5x5in pattern wheels with 8.5in 10-bolt axles. All I can remember is that they are tied to axle model not any sort of package or spec.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

But I think Bob's sort of on the right track. Seems like all the wagons I saw had the big pattern and I can't remember seeing any sedans in that era with the big ones. IIRC, back in the early-to-mid 60's the Electra 225s had the big pattern - ah, those were the good old days. Can't remember if the Wildcats or LeSabres were so equipped or not. I know for sure that the Special/Skylarks had the small pattern.

I imagine the Olds offerings followed more or less the same pattern as the Buicks. Wish my old brain could remember how my Toronados were equipped (sure loved those ol' boats).

Dan

Comment

5x4.75 bolt pattern its the four door sedan

Comment

Working...
                          X