New pics of the '55 Chevy short bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pics of the '55 Chevy short bus

I stopped by and talked to the previous owner to let him know that pick up of the bus wouldn't be till next weekend due to the company getting called out this morning and to get a pic of him and the bus. When I said short bus, this has got to be the SHORTEST short bus I've ever seen. I'll let the pics do the talking.
    Nik

Re: New pics of the '55 Chevy short bus

Give that thing a good scrubbin' (inside AND out) and fire up the stove for breakfast! That thing is cool as hell!

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

The more I look at it, the more I like it as is. What do you guys think, would this be too much patina? Maybe scrub and buff the outside and roll it with new wheels and tires?
      Nik

Comment

I love it to death, that is cool as hell and perfect.
        Too much patina ?
        Hell no, it's great.
        I'm jelous as all get out, what a great camper and a Chevy too.
        You got it all, wanna sell it to me ?
        ;)

Comment

Red scotchbrite down all the old white paint and rust and get back to us with pics. You may be suprised. I would run those cool original wheels. You can get a big box of scotchbrite pads from Grainger Co. Scotchbrite #7447 It's way cheaper to buy them this way. Is it a V-8 or 261 - 6?
          61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

hmmmmmm

yea - do the scotchbrite thing and see.....

I would for sure replace all the rubber - tires, brake lines, belts, hoses, etc.
            probably not a bad idea to replace the water pump and alternator too, for sure you'll have to rebuild the carb, blow out the fuel lines, and maybe replace the tank. Buy a good bender and flare kit and re-do all the brake and fuel lines while you're under there, and give all the suspension bushings a good look too. change all the fluids, replace the fuel tank if you can or just give it a good bath and sealer treatment.... well that's all the obvious stuff I'm sure you'd already thought of....

The real question will be how it drives once you do the mechanical "restoration" is -how does it drive and is it screaming it's guts out at highway speed (like our '54 is in stock trim) if so - then it's time to look into changing the drive line - at least see if you can get different gears for the rear axle - or if there is one that would fit easy enough - look into a 2 speed rear end - usually way cheaper than an add on over drive.

so many possibilities!!!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The old owner told me he would knock $800 off the price if I let him keep the six banger that was in it, I have no idea what an 83 year old wants with an old six, but I told him o.k. So then bought a '76 Laguna S3 with a nice 350/th350 for $700. I figured if I ever wanted to get over 50 mph the 6 wasn't going to cut it along with the gears. So if someone wants a Laguna body, shoot me an email. LOL

The wheels are old Budd 18"ers, I don't even know if they still make tires in that size or not.

Comment

Plenty of new pickups come with 18" wheels - the only issue maybe finding some narrow enough to use for the rear duals.... but I'm guessing they are out there, even in load range E - which I'm sure you'll need - at least that.
                The new super duty fords offer 18" as an option for sure - but I'm not sure about the duallies.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

how heavy is the bus? I just wonder if a suspension upgrade might be the cheaper alternative say a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton chev 2wd?
                  Still, love the patina - although there is a fine line between retro and redneck.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm not sure how heavy it is, it is a 3800 series one ton, but I think just upgrading to some one piece dually rims and tires is going to be my best shot. I heard that the Frito Lay trucks use a 19.5 8 lug wheel so that might be an option too. Once I get it to the shop and can start fumigating it and working on the engine transplant, I'll have a better idea where I'm going with it.

Nik

Anyone have a Frito-Lay truck laying around???

Originally posted by Buickguy
                    how heavy is the bus? I just wonder if a suspension upgrade might be the cheaper alternative say a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton chev 2wd?
                    Still, love the patina - although there is a fine line between retro and redneck.

Comment

As a fellow big truck owner I just have to say thats the bomb.

Comment

Damn,that thing IS short :o! You could have a........."How-Many-Bangshift-Forum-Tarts-Can-You-Fit-Into-A-Short-Bus-contest" with that thing :o!! ~J/W-OO6.

Comment

Is it me... or does this bus look pretty pissed off? Like a grumpy lunchlady with a hangover & PMS?
                          Originally posted by Nik

Comment

'Disgruntalled' I'd say :D. ~J/W-006.

Comment

This is so cool....It needs a blown BBC.....and huge slicks where the dual tires are....

;D

Seth
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X