• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New pics of the '55 Chevy short bus

I think Seth is a little sleep deprived
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

The more I look at that thing, the more I like it.

What would be the possibility of getting the running gear out of an old motorhome? I know plenty of them used BBC power so the TH400 and the rear axle would work well with your small block. Plus, nobody wants those old motorhomes. As gas prices skyrocketed, they were practically giving them away.

See? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...1%7C240%3A1318

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Heres a quick (ie-rough) photochop... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by zombie289
          Heres a quick (ie-rough) photochop... ;D
          That looks wicked cool....

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

"hello Airride, send me a suspension kit for a 1957 Short school bus.... hello? hello? hmm, I wonder why they hung up" ;D ;D ;D
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Here's one from last year's Tour...

Comment

Before ya'll get carried away turning this into an exposition wheel standing dragster.... what is the new owners' intention for this bad boy?

toy hauler / tow rig?

new family RV?

I - being bitten and seriously infected by the turbo diesel bug - would be very tempted to see if you could set this body onto the frame of a wrecked turbo diesel pick up from the last decade or so - then all your drivetrain and suspension/steering parts are readily available, you've got power and torque to spare - and you can pass a few gas stations between fill ups!
                ;D
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
                  Is it me... or does this bus look pretty pissed off? Like a grumpy lunchlady with a hangover & PMS?
                  Originally posted by Nik
                  Needs a high bran muffin....... ;D
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

The towing guy showed up at the scheduled time, but without the 40ft float trailer we had talked about. He brought his 18ft car trailer and I wasn't too optimistic that the bus would fit, but it did, BARELY. Here's a few pics of the 50 mile ride home. I wish I could have shown you the reactions on peoples faces when they passed us, lots of rubbernecking going on. LOL. When I go back and start ripping out the interior and putting the engine in I'll take some more.

Nik

Comment

Short Bus on a short trip ;D. ~J/W-006.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik
                        When I go back and start ripping out the interior and putting the engine in I'll take some more pics.
                        .. and here I thought you were going to use it as is, as a camper for the family.
                        What are you going to do, reinstall bench seats like it originally came ?
                        ???

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                          Originally posted by Nik
                          When I go back and start ripping out the interior and putting the engine in I'll take some more pics.
                          .. and here I thought you were going to use it as is, as a camper for the family.
                          What are you going to do, reinstall bench seats like it originally came ?
                          ???
                          Nope, I'm taking out the beds, sink and stove. I'm keeping the table and two benches, but putting one long bench down the side where the sink was and then putting a fridge behind the table and chairs. I'm going to draw out the floorplan so I can scale everything out, and I'll post that so you guys will know what I'm doing. It's not going to be a camper, just more of a party / road trip bus.

Nik

Comment

Sweet !!
                            Scan those floorplans when you get them drawn up, can't wait to see ....
                            ;)

Comment

That trailer seems to be EXACTLY the same as mine. Good to know I can haul an antique short bus if the need arises. Have fun - this is a NEAT project!

Dan

Comment

I love this bus.. We don't have anything like it down here.. Way cool. 8)

I'd have to jam a ZZ572 in it, or a 572 with a 10/71.
                                Imagine the huge patches you could do with those duallies.. ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X