Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • maybe just my experiences, but...

    airbags work great when used for what they are intended for--load carrying capacity.
    they do not work well as primary suspension/height adjustment, everyone i have
    worked on blows out in 6 months to a year. unless you put them on a rotating
    replacement schedule, dont use them as primary members or height adjustment.

    this is why semi trucks have leaf springs to carry the truck, and bags to help
    carry the weight. again, just me.......

    Comment


    • Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
      maybe just my experiences, but...

      airbags work great when used for what they are intended for--load carrying capacity.
      they do not work well as primary suspension/height adjustment, everyone i have
      worked on blows out in 6 months to a year. unless you put them on a rotating
      replacement schedule, dont use them as primary members or height adjustment.

      this is why semi trucks have leaf springs to carry the truck, and bags to help
      carry the weight. again, just me.......
      You may want to look more closely at Semis... the only place where springs are normally used anymore are on the front axle(unless on a construction/logging rig). Air bag technology has improved drastically. When properly engineered, the air bags work fine....
      Deaf Bob likes this.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

      Comment


      • so I think Pdub's luck rubbed off on me.... parts I ordered are backordered with a general 1-2week before they get it date.... however, the front disk brake conversion arrived
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

        Comment


        • Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          You may want to look more closely at Semis... the only place where springs are normally used anymore are on the front axle(unless on a construction/logging rig). Air bag technology has improved drastically. When properly engineered, the air bags work fine....

          i went to kano trucking today, out of 11 semis on the lot
          guess how many had leaf springs in the rear with bags
          as helpers?

          all 11............. now granted all these trucks are 5-7yrs old,
          and hawaii IS normally 'behind the times" a bit, but i stand
          by my recomendation and always will-- air bags are NOT
          meant to be 'primary suspension members'. they are SO
          problematic when used as such that there are conversion kits
          to put coil springs in basically every factory 'adjustable air ride
          suspension' equipped car--licolns, cadillacs, expeditions, etc...

          hey, its his car/his money, he can run em as such if he wants too.
          been there, done that, got tired of driving onto a 1x4 then a 2x4 then
          a 4x4 just to get a jack under on the side of the road to replace
          yet ANOTHER blown bag.

          the bus here uses 'up/down' bags, they are on a 3 month need it
          or not replacement schedule because of so many blown bags.

          Comment


          • I did blow a helper bag out on my Chevy truck, out in the desert w/ fifth-wheel trailer, when I really needed it. I had to come home with a piece of firewood lashed between the axle and frame. In that case it had rubbed very slightly against something just at certain times, that's all it took. They do not tolerate abrasion at all! I replaced them with the next size down and never had a problem again but as mentioned they were helpers. I have a S-1600 International medium-duty truck rear in the yard meant for our motor home with primary air-bags that look like they've got a lot of use on them without failure. Since we see bags on trains we know that in theory they'd have to be reliable but that rubber goes through a lot of flex in operation, 'way more than say a tire.

            Maybe that's key...they hold up where there's not a lot of motion range experienced.
            Last edited by Loren; June 6, 2019, 06:37 AM.
            ...

            Comment


            • I've run bags on enough vehicles that I don't remember all of them. I have had only one fail, and that was because it was too close to exhaust. I like the simplicity of springs, but on a wagon? being able to drop it to the ground would be cool too....

              conversely, if we're doing a "what has failed most often"... that would be leaf springs followed closely by coil springs....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                ......."what has failed most often"... that would be leaf springs followed closely by coil springs....

                is that like what you told me about some people could break a steel anvil
                in a rubber room? hah hah, how the heck did you break a leafspring?
                ive seen em go flat, maybe in extreme cases crack a leaf, ( the rest of
                the pack held together tho...) but outright fail.... thats some kinda talent
                there buddy.



                Comment


                • Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                  is that like what you told me about some people could break a steel anvil
                  in a rubber room? hah hah, how the heck did you break a leafspring?
                  ive seen em go flat, maybe in extreme cases crack a leaf, ( the rest of
                  the pack held together tho...) but outright fail.... thats some kinda talent
                  there buddy.
                  I like the analogy that some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox, but anvil works too.

                  And have to confess that 4 different vehicles leafs have suffered a total leaf failure under my watch. Every time there was a distinct lack of pavement involved.

                  So far no torsion bars have snapped on me, but there is still time to accomplish that goal.
                  Last edited by STINEY; June 6, 2019, 04:41 PM.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post


                    xtreme cases crack a leaf, ( the rest of
                    the pack held together tho...) but outright fail.... thats some kinda talent
                    there buddy.


                    that's Tuesday around here.... we fix them with logs.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

                    Comment


                    • There are people who post on the internet who deserve a Nobel Peace prize.... this is one of those... anyone wants to know the differences between 1964-1972 A body suspension parts.... here it is. The nutshell is this, the only difference for interchangeability of all suspension parts on an A-body is the upper, rear control arms. 64-66 is 12 3/4 inches hole to hole, 67-72 is 10 1/4 inches.

                      I know a bunch, but I learned a few things here too...

                      the website
                      https://www.lever-family-racing.com/...m-a-body-64-72
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

                      Comment


                      • Hence the market for SouthSideMachine arms back in the day. If you need a pair to copy just let me know.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	bUuRD9Q.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	1245527
                        Last edited by STINEY; June 11, 2019, 08:39 AM.
                        SuperBuickGuy likes this.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

                        Comment


                        • Don't forget to lower those rear lower bar attachment points to plant the tires better.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Lo9YXyR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1245540

                          I believe there was also a minor axle spring pad misalignment as well. The kit included a new pad and spring locater to be welded to the axle.

                          Click image for larger versionName:	wxULSsr.jpgViews:	1Size:	247.2 KBID:	1245529
                          Last edited by STINEY; June 11, 2019, 08:59 AM.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

                          Comment


                          • eek, Stiney, eek I say.

                            thankfully this car has never had to deal with salt.... I may have found a transmission with a bonus engine.... Dan might hate me for a bit, but I'll say before I spill the beans that the motor is temporary.... I'm dealing on a 200r4 with all the upgrades that comes with a nitros sniffing 350 .... since this car had a 350 in it before, I could make this drive in a weekend.... then it gets turbo love after I build it.... but mobile right now is important because a move may be coming soon.....
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

                            Comment


                            • That big volcano looking over your shoulder startin' to get to you?Click image for larger version

Name:	ranier.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1245566
                              ...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Loren View Post
                                That big volcano looking over your shoulder startin' to get to you?Click image for larger version

Name:	ranier.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1245566
                                Likely the traffic up there!
                                Went by the Tacoma Dome pulling a trailer.. 20 mph on the freeway... Every expansion joint was felt!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X