Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

No. Wish I had a stash of them..
    You know, if you parked your kid's car correctly, he'd never notice it's gone
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You know, if you parked your kid's car correctly, he'd never notice it's gone
      Oooh he would! Blasted one of his girlfriend's daughters for saying "It's just an old car"

Comment

I got the parts, so tomorrow the puzzle should be complete and I'll have brakes.
        https://pbase.com/nufsed/image/49448866

I also verified that I have a 'spare' turbo350 trans from my other Skylark - I may use it just to make this move. it's going to be a choice either make the turbo motor run on a MS3x or simply slap a carb on a 455.... both have benefits and down sides.... but since I know the 200r4 is a $3000 rebuild cost, dividing the spend is a good thing....

and I'm probably just going to send my liquid cooled visa and my 200r4 to Art Carr... but dividing the wallet pain for after I get this painted and mobile is a good thing.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 13th, 2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

got some stuff progressed

steering

I bought a knock-off borgeson joint and then cut the ends off the collapsable portion of the quick ratio box

I cut the steering shaft long, then flattened two sides so it'd slip together

and welded it to the column shaft

then brakes

what a pain to get to this point

screwed the brake lines in

finally found the correct arm... and only the left is readily available... so waiting again for the other side

the front is nearly done.... tighten a few more bolts, all the cotter keys in place

rear isn't that far but now I wait for something to get here from PA.
          I certainly have plenty of other things to do and now if I need, I can roll it out
          silver_bullet and DanStokes like this.

Comment

everything tightened up

prying this off.... roofing tar.... love it

put new suspension bolts in

it looks exactly like it did before....

I'm waiting for a couple parts - one of which won't be here until Monday... so my goal for the rest of this week is get the brake lines done on the C3, bolt the body on, then see if I can make it run.... it would be a big help if I could move both of the projects around by simply turning a key....
            DanStokes likes this.

Comment

time to keep taking parts off... door panels

patterns for the new door panels

and very rusty heater box

I will get the mouse smell out

65RHDEER likes this.

Comment

everything tightened up

prying this off.... roofing tar.... love it

put new suspension bolts in

it looks exactly like it did before....

At least it doesn't look worse !
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The point of this post is to be a reference to anyone doing #91/2#drum#brakes
                  the hardest part is these three bits....

this is what it will look like installed - note the drum brake connector is there as well
                  also silver goes with silver - the silver adjuster goes with the silver adjustment rod

Installed... which is what most other posts have.... which makes it nearly impossible to see how each spring connects and routes

the right side

you can just see the adjuster that goes from the cable to the shoe on the left (longer) shoe

I didn't get the right side on because one pin came up missing.... ugh

Comment

I am strongly considering doing the ScareBird disc conversion to the OtherRegals' 12-bolt. Its missing EVERYTHING but the backing plates - and one of those has a couple of rust holes through it.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I am strongly considering doing the ScareBird disc conversion to the OtherRegals' 12-bolt. Its missing EVERYTHING but the backing plates - and one of those has a couple of rust holes through it.
                      $100* in parts vs. $450.... it stops just fine

*even less if you score all the parts off any 8.5 ever built....
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 26th, 2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I came up with $250+ at all FLAPS for the drum setup. And that was without the spreader bars and backing plates and brake stuff. Funny how different areas have such different pricing.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

and the brake lines leak... I suppose I should have tightened them up before I put brake fluid in....

in other news.... in this box

is this part....

and this is now on the car....
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 26th, 2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

time to start cleaning up the motor

what a mess

and split apart.... I wonder if orange was the GM color....

new bolts and bolting it to the stand

Super clean, awesome, purple whatever - useless

I'll know soon enough, but I'm still certain the bottom end is fine and the top is seized

Comment

My engine cleaning trick is Eazy-Off oven cleaner. NOT the "environmentally safe" stuff but the old hard-core style. Kicks butt but use it outside! On my Mercedes Diesel gunk it took a couple of coats but that stuff is radioactive.

Dan

Comment

My engine cleaning trick is Eazy-Off oven cleaner. NOT the "environmentally safe" stuff but the old hard-core style. Kicks butt but use it outside! On my Mercedes Diesel gunk it took a couple of coats but that stuff is radioactive.

Dan
                                that stuff does work great, however it's hell on electrical connections and rubber hoses....

Comment

Working...
                                X