X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    fgtinklebells for the sparkles... got it

didn't have a lot of time but taped up the little bit needing tape so I can (hopefully) shoot it tomorrow... they're forecasting rain in the afternoon which would cause some issues since I really need to shoot it outside

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    what about silver? light blue is cool and all of that, but silver.... hmmm

* frantically waving hand while doing his best arnold horshack voice*

oooh, ooh, OOOH !!! silver, with blue GLITTER.....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Although silver looks cool on a car trailer!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Too many silver cars in the world IMHO - I'd go back with the original color.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    what about silver? light blue is cool and all of that, but silver.... hmmm

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    epoxy primer requires hitting the car with 120-180 grit scuff
    so scuff we do

dust in the air

2 hours later, looks exactly the same

cleaned the goop off the firewall

and sanded the fenders.... hopefully tomorrow night or the night after I can get this into primer

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

I'm scratching my head as to how it's got rust in that area.
    all I can figure is there was a mouse nest in there at some point and their pee rusted the metal - otherwise, I have no idea

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Over filled has burning the paint off maybe ?

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    a couple surprises

completely a surprise
    I'm scratching my head as to how it's got rust in that area.
    Last edited by 65RHDEER; August 26, 2019, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    tonight I had a couple 'extra' moments so I did some bumper unbending

there's a dent

push on the back

get creative with leverage

what you can't see is the long, small rod that is the same diameter as the roll on the bumper being pushed into place

much better

as if by magic

I still have to tap it into shape - but with bumpers, hammering a dent out is about the worst way you can remove it.... bumpers rarely stretch when they get a dent, but hammering stretch the metal.... then you chase waves down the bumper...tapping will happen, just not yet.... truly though, my goal is pretty straight then I'll send it off to California to be perfected and rechromed..... that said, doing this (without them having to fix whatever I'm doing) saves me money.... I figure if I had sent it with dents and missing bits it would have cost $1500 to have fixed and chromed..... the hope is it will be about $500 ....

1/2 way
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 26, 2019, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I know you're right, I just don't wanna..... but I'll get my whimpy self down to the paint supplier and get some epoxy primer.... I have some left over from the FJ40 but it's 4 years old.... ugh

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I'd do the self etching primer and just sand it off the spots that need to be worked on. Once it's good and set it'll sand pretty easily. I've never lived in a place where I had to ADD moisture (MI and NC are both pretty humid, enough that paint will blush from moisture on certain days) so I got nothin' on that. I'd ask your local paint store guy - Gene here in Wilmington has always steered me right.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Paging Dan Stokes, Dr. Dan "the painter" Stokes to the Buinicorn page....

I don't wanna etch primer the body before I do most of the rust repairs.... how stupid is that? Seattle has 30% humidity - when I paint here, I actually add a humidifier for some of the stuff I've painted (KBS coating has a 40% minimum).... I've put the sandblaster's protectant on it - supposed to be good for several days, but how about 30? thoughts? I have no idea what the product is, he brought it to me (no joke) in Tupperware.... I could primer the hood and one fender - but honestly... I'd rather do the repairs and primer it all before I start with the metal pounding then bondoing.....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    a couple surprises
    not a surprise

kind of a surprise (this was the white door)

not at all

not

not

completely a surprise

not

the extent was a surprise, but it's not a huge deal since I'm already there cutting

not

maybe? but then again not really

nope

nope

nope

that plus the rear floor.... I've ordered the front windshield channel - by the time it gets here I should have the back done

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    The stripper leave you with any surprises?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X