• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    time to fix the flintstone

then the fitting

and lots of tacking

though no weld spoon.... darn it.... time to go out and get some more chill bars

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by hauen View Post
    I'd love to see something like a turboed injected straight 8, but I have no idea how much power they can make, or handle. Who knows, it might puke its guts out around 250 horsepower, or it might make 400 HP lolligaging around at 3800 RPM, I just don't know enough about them. It would certainly be unique though.
    250 hp 1000 lbs torque... the straight-8 motor is stout - put-in-buses-and-locomotives stout - 5 main cap-stout.... there are LSR with the straight 8, and there is at least one Mega-squirt LSR Straight 8 out there*... you can buy aluminum heads for the 248, 263, and 320.... the only reason I mention it now is I know of a 320 that is mostly built which is available.... and like everything else, there is actually a community who race these motors in LSR

*the person who did this also blew the motor up and that discussion became a memorable fight on here between myself and another.... he claimed the motor blew up because of thin walls on the straight 8.... the motor weighs something like 900 lbs, nothing is light on that motor....

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by hauen View Post
    I'd love to see something like a turboed injected straight 8, but I have no idea how much power they can make, or handle. Who knows, it might puke its guts out around 250 horsepower, or it might make 400 HP lolligaging around at 3800 RPM, I just don't know enough about them. It would certainly be unique though.
    Ask a tuner how hi he revved that salt flats straight 8 bbefore it windowed...

Leave a comment:

• hauen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they put 5.3 LS motors in Buicks.... My desire is a 1000 hp V6.... and that's the goal, but please don't be terribly disappointed if stuff changes. That said, backup motor is a 455 that I already have.... then second backup is the turbo 455 that I'm supposed to put in my Buick Sedanet (which might, instead, get a 320 straight 8)....point is just like any of my other builds - plans do change.
    I'll follow the build either way. I saw a sick early 50's Buick up here in Bremerton earlier this month with a twin turbo 5.3, total sleeper, it was awesome!

I've only seen one straight 8, they're awesome, and massive! Guys in the Fiero community have done some pretty crazy stuff on the Series II and Series III 3800's. I'm pretty sure one guy made 800+ ft lbs on a chassis dyno with a cam, turbo and valve springs. I'd bet one would be easier to package in a RWD car like yours too.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    My goal is to paint the car and assemble before the weather gets too cold to paint it so it could actually sit outside if necessary... to that end, I ordered the front windshield today.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
    I'm loving this, I can't wait to see it in paint! than you for not planning on putting an LS or SBC in it! Buicks need Buick engines!
    they put 5.3 LS motors in Buicks.... My desire is a 1000 hp V6.... and that's the goal, but please don't be terribly disappointed if stuff changes. That said, backup motor is a 455 that I already have.... then second backup is the turbo 455 that I'm supposed to put in my Buick Sedanet (which might, instead, get a 320 straight 8)....point is just like any of my other builds - plans do change.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    I'm loving this, I can't wait to see it in paint! than you for not planning on putting an LS or SBC in it! Buicks need Buick engines!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    onward.... all the electronics are out

I still don't know if I'm pulling windows from the door.... the windows work very well and if I mess with them - the odds are really high I'll break unreplaceable parts..... but we will see
    oh and it appears I need to make custom pieces for the missing bit here.... nope, no one makes a replacement and they are not the same as Chevelle

I still need to do floors but I'm going to work on building a die for my press brake so I can make new floors - it gets blasted the 25th, so between the press and the Corvette.... it gets to sit outside for a little bit
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 14, 2019, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    back to Buick rust
    oh what a pain it was to get these off.... GM hardened the screws.. which is great unless they rust in place then strip out. Thankfully heat them red then drill them out still works

sometimes I wonder if a good rattle would make it crumble to dust

floor patching - yes I bought a huge patch for two, small fixes - however, it cost the same and heaven knows I need the metal for more patching

interestingly as far as floor is concerned - the rear is garbage and requires complete replacement and these little spots - however, the rest is pretty solid .... yes, I'll be welding for a month but it isn't terrible
    this will be the biggest pain because it is part of an area I need to fix

took the dash apart so the blasters can knock the paint off the dash

door handles are off

I'm going to make a die to replicate the braces then simply replace the entire floor

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Random post.... or "what I did instead of breathing rust this weekend"
    took these out, got them dirty but also got a light for it
    2009 CRF450r is unique - it's the first year of EFI (which I love), and Honda only made one stator. There is a enduro bike and a race bike.... I have the race bike... but it has the big stator so I can add lights

my bike, cleaner

my friend's bike

both bikes cleaner

why, you may ask, did I clean his bike... well, the story goes like this - I was told a trail was easy.... it was not but he was a trooper - and only whine a lot yesterday about how much he hurt.....

that said, 92 mph is the top speed of my bike as measure by GPS.... which is cool as I was told slower, but I was also told it got better fuel economy... 1.4 gallons for 25 miles... still, what a blast

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I love PNW cars

stripped the front off - mostly to replace the door, but hinges are on order as well - so it's easier

got the other door on

then started fitting the other edge

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    starting the process, the goal is I need to tape nothing to spray it.... I know it's 3 weeks but some things are going to be a fight so might as well just get it done. I also want to finish the metal work (floors, corners) before it gets blasted

First is the rear gate - most of this is for later reference

guide bolts

glass bolts

gate lift assembly

assembly bolts

side pieces off

bumpers off

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Paint comes off in 19 days..... I have a lot of work to do to get ready..... yowzers

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    For today's temptation.... I dismissed the LS because I couldn't think of a Buick they put it in..... Buick Rainier... yeah, I get it, homologized product .... but still, it is the one, ready-to-go motor I have for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X