No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My goal is stone stock appearance, poverty caps, a/c so my wife will drive it, automatic, efi, and 400-500 hp. There will be no stereo so she doesn't claim it for herself after she drives it (it was touch and go there for a bit after she drove my GTO)....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Going to play with the motor or leave it stock?

Should bolt right in with the SBB/V6 mounts. Hit me up if you want to know something about a Buick V6.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Yes, going to leave it stock then play with it. My prayer is it runs in its current configuration. Then it'll be driven around rusty and a bit smokey this summer :D

Comment

I also think I'm just going to simply repair the single pot, drum brakes.... what could possibly go wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            I also think I'm just going to simply repair the single pot, drum brakes.... what could possibly go wrong with that?
            ....Oh HELL NO... Click image for larger version

Name:	3cbef5ee354e1f2189a23b6ac03319946a4a7c7617388f9584aa5b5984f98b11.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1161489
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

i know a guy with a REAL 73 455 GS motor thats rebuilt
              and up for sale...hes in orange county california....

Comment

This I would change while you can sit in the engine bay. At least throw the '67 master on there to make it dual circuit.

Do the big upgrade to discs later but a single circuit master makes me nervous because on something this old, a line or hose burst is a decent enough possibility to consider.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Nothing. Billions of safe miles before 1967 on a single pot. Of course there were a few "anomolies"...but they are only scary when they get worn out.

I rebuilt the single pot on the '65 Galaxie Wagon and intend to replace with a dual when I go to disc brakes, but if everything is new/rebuilt and up to snuff with the single pot you'll be fine until you make your final brake configuration.

Comment

when single pot masters were standard, there were consequences for piss poor driving... now there are cell phones and teen drivers with no driving experience that are waiting for the autonomous car to be released so they can play candy crunch while waiting to arrive at their entered destination of choice....
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                      i know a guy with a REAL 73 455 GS motor thats rebuilt
                      and up for sale...hes in orange county california....
                      cool, but I have enough parts to make 3 running motors. The motor in my 50 Buick runs, and I have at least enough parts to put together a second one. The 3rd one is the twin turbo, aluminum head, sleeved and girdled motor that is eventually going to land in my 50 Buick... and 73? I hope it's not the 8.0 compression cast piston version.... and I briefly thought about putting it in there - but the GN motor, as CTX points out, literally bolts in place.... plus, I like being different :D

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                      This I would change while you can sit in the engine bay. At least throw the '67 master on there to make it dual circuit.

Do the big upgrade to discs later but a single circuit master makes me nervous because on something this old, a line or hose burst is a decent enough possibility to consider.
                      Mostly that was said to spin silver bullet up. It was quite successfully done, I might add.... 400 hp and single-pot, drum brakes would be more entertainment then I'm willing to undertake. This will probably end up with a similar suspension as my 70 Skylark had - B-body spindles, 1LE brakes, large by huge front/rear sway bars, adjustable upper and boxed lower rear control arms...I may even add a couple inches of metal so that I can run an 8" wheel in the back. For now, it gets dual pot over drums so that it makes noise this summer.

Comment

REALLY?!?!?! ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME!
                        But seriously... it was a good test of my better physical condition... thanks Aaron!
                        My A1C is back to near normal... blood pressure is well within acceptable range,
                        and I have lost some much needed weight....
                        Last edited by silver_bullet; June 3, 2017, 05:42 PM.
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                          REALLY?!?!?! ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME!
                          But seriously... it was a good test of my better physical condition... thanks Aaron! My A1C is back to near normal... blood pressure is well within acceptable range, and I have lost some much needed weight....

see how well that works?

Comment

I certainly do... Thank You Brother!!!
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              I certainly do... Thank You Brother!!!

anytime

Comment

So as many of you know, I don't buy or sell Friday night Sundown to Sat. night sundown. That meant that I had to 'wait' to pick this up - yep, it does mean at times I miss deals - but not this time (at least I hope this was a deal).... needless to say, the anticipation was kind of killing me but it's a priority thing so there we go.
                                the tl;dr is I'll go through the motor, it seems a bit stuck hopefully that means just a ring job. The trans smells funky but not burnt, so I'll pop that apart too for a refresh but overall the spend bill should be pretty low comparatively. I'll also move the turbo so that I can run an intercooler - easy and I already have 2 new turbos that are perfect for this.

rusty but ready to pull

so what it is. an 84/85 "hotside" turbo motor. No intercooler, but that's easy to fix - the important bit is the block and the crank-fired ignition. I'm thinking MS3x to run this...
                                the transmission is what I really am stoked about - it's a 200r4, yes, if I wanted overdrive for my 50 Buick - this would be an excellent starting point... but no, the wagon needs it

I also grabbed the steering box. On G bodies, they had a quick-ratio steering for the GNX, t-type and Malibu SS... rare as hens teeth and bolts right up to the 64 Buick frame.

home time to pull spark plugs

the turbo is quite loose - but condition-wise, it does look like a 60k motor.
                                plugs

rust rocker too... which may be the reason the motor is stuck

driver's side look awesome, the first picture above is interesting because of the rust on the threads but the tip looks good

and let's define good. No water in the cylinders, there was antifreeze in the block, nothing looked like it was knocking - but it certainly was burning a bit of oil because of the turbo looseness.

Comment

Working...
                                X