No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ashtray was always pretty easy to reach in my '66 Special. Same car/interior as your Skylark.....
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Plug the switch in the ciggy lighter, that way you have to plug it in, velcro it to your hand when using it..

Kinda hokey huh?

Comment

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1963 1964 1965 BUICK RIVIERA cruise control switch at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise Switch3.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1166674

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1969-1975 Oldsmobile 88 98 Cutlass 442 NOS Cruise Control Turn Signal Lever at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise Switch 2.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1166675

I think the turn signal stalk one would be the coolest. I have a tilt column from an early 70's Riviera that has one if you are interested.
        Attached Files
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          The ashtray was always pretty easy to reach in my '66 Special. Same car/interior as your Skylark.....

uh, no. the 66-7 are a much larger body car. The interiors do look similar, though.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
            http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1963-1964-196...JZZTUO&vxp=mtr

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1166674[/ATTACH]

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1969-1975 Oldsmobile 88 98 Cutlass 442 NOS Cruise Control Turn Signal Lever at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1166675[/ATTACH]

I think the turn signal stalk one would be the coolest. I have a tilt column from an early 70's Riviera that has one if you are interested.

that is an interesting idea - add on cruise control.... just controls the cruise

Comment

Oops, razzing got me in trouble - and it is true, he did look; you'll have to ask him if this is its slightly rustier twin.
              https://bangshift.com/general-news/p...comment-154046

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 14, 2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

hard work pays dividends... film @ 11
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  hard work pays dividends... film @ 11
                  Ok, Peewee...

Comment

rust repairs coming soon

they are close-ish

better too long then too short?

no big deal, I know a guy who knows a guy who can make this into scrap

Comment

• So I had a free hour tonight.... decided to dive into what I know this thing needs

I'm a bit disappointed in the metal work - but they were cheap, wrong, but cheap so it gives me enough metal to pound and a general shape... so away we go

leaky windows with no drain.... big surprise... not

a bit of trimming

I did this in two pieces because of that fitment issue -

you can see the issue where the seam is for the wheel opening....

it should be where the black line is... but not all the way down - which is why I cut it in two and will weld it back together. It's easier to knock it straight in a small panel

Comment

• Looks good. Is painting season over yet?
                        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                        79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                          Looks good. Is painting season over yet?
                          Another 2-3 weeks then pfffft!

Comment

• As some know, I have a bit of an incline from my house to the shop. The wagon doesn't have paint on it, it will rain next weekend, and I need my lift back...
                            Mind you, the PO said "the brakes went out"...

so I put fluid in hoping that I'd see where it was leaking... EUREKA...

I think I see the problem

Did you know that Corvette brake lines interchange with rear, 64 Buick lines? you do now

now it has brakes.... yay.

Comment

• Lest you think I've forgotten - these showed up on my doorstep today

not perfect, but a whole lot better then the ones on the car...

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                                Here's my thoughts and I'm going to preface this with you can go two ways with this depending on what your overall intent is with the car.

Plan 1: Use what you have here as a foundation. This is mainly if the basics of the motor aren't junk or you want something simpler to deal with. Above all check www.turbobuick.com for second hand stuff and even recipes for builds. www.gnttype.org is very dated but has a ton of good info as well..
                                Absolutely go through the motor and give it a decent refresh; i.e. new rings and bearings, bottlebrush the oil galleries and coolant passages, replace the freeze plugs, etc. When you want to step it up, unless you are avoiding rebalancing the rotating assembly, get a set of aftermarket Diamond or JE forged pistons. The stockers are heavy and durable but very old school. Get a set of Champion CNC ported heads or there are a few other folks with good heads, Champions are just extremely repeatable and a solid value. If you are going to move the turbo from the stock "hot air" setup, you might as well go full 86-87 "intercooled" intake, stockers aren't too expensive (or restricting) and Champion offers CNC ported units to match their (and most other) ported iron heads. The "hot air" intake isn't very good and will leave you with a ton of compromises. Going "intercooled" on the intake will also let you get away from the throttle mounted to the inlet of the turbo which means you HAVE to run a specific type of seal (carbon something or other) on the turbo to keep it from pulling oil past the seal on closed throttle. A very big restriction going with other turbos. I've not played in the aftermarket EFI game on these engines but I know the MS community is strong for it based on DieselGeek's testimony on them doing the early DIS work and one of the most prolific experimenters in the Turbo6 world Bruce Plecan (RIP good friend) was getting into MS1 before he died. I successfully have adapted an L67 FWD ECM to run my LC2 ("intercooled") based 4.1 motor. Lastly, these motors do not like to rev very high, most people even with heavy cars like a 90's B-body wagon tend to go for the 3.42's or maybe 3.73's at the highest on the rear gears. 4.10's will virtually guarantee you shift into 4th in the quarter and TH200-4R’s aren’t setup to survive doing that long term from what I’ve heard (I run a 4L80E).

Plan 2: Going with a different foundation. This is probably higher power capacity but definitely more work.
                                Put a L67 long block in it and dig up a 4rd Gen F-body L36 intake and a workable oil pan (can’t remember what works) to convert it to RWD. This will give you a much more rev tolerant engine with a strong short block that will take more power in the long run. There are a number of folks who have built this combo over on www.turbobuick.com and other than the mounts, oil pan, and dealing with a 4L60E it’s pretty simple. I think one of them is even running an MS3 setup on his. A stock L67 is pretty durable, most of the problems with the cars with them were the weak 4T65E’s vs. the engine but running lean they will pinch rings and chip pistons. Stock replacement pistons are cheap and even coated frequently. Aftermarket support for the L67 is still fairly strong with aftermarket pistons off the shelf, P&P heads still around, and a decent selection of cams. The L67 is also lighter than the classic 3.8L. They do make adapter plates to run Chevy trans behind the Metric60 patterned L67 and F-bodies came with basically a fox body V8 world class T-5 in a GM case if you want a stick. Overall they are a better engine than the 3.8L, much like the Gen III (i.e. LS1) is an evolution of the Gen I/II SBC they take the basic core but vastly update it with durability and performance improvements. The L67 really is the LS1 of the Buick V6 line; same bore and stroke but shorter deck height, slipper pistons, roller cams, on center block geometry, symmetric ports, etc.

Get that motor you have unstuck and see if it’s worth building (if the block is still standard bore and not a 20 bolt oil pan, I might be interested if it’s usable).
                                Stiney - here's the blueprint for your kid's car thanks CTX

Comment

Working...
                                X