No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Aaron. You know, I just finished rereading the thread plus links, and came to the last post to find your shortcut, lol.

That looks to be quite a good recipe for fun. CTX is to be commended for typing that all down.

Attached Files
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• the best part is it basically bolts into place using parts that no one else wants in the wrecking yard.... perfect for a kid starting out with his first turbo car.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
        Here's my thoughts and I'm going to preface this with you can go two ways with this depending on what your overall intent is with the car.

Plan 1: Use what you have here as a foundation. This is mainly if the basics of the motor aren't junk or you want something simpler to deal with. Above all check www.turbobuick.com for second hand stuff and even recipes for builds. www.gnttype.org is very dated but has a ton of good info as well..
        Absolutely go through the motor and give it a decent refresh; i.e. new rings and bearings, bottlebrush the oil galleries and coolant passages, replace the freeze plugs, etc. When you want to step it up, unless you are avoiding rebalancing the rotating assembly, get a set of aftermarket Diamond or JE forged pistons. The stockers are heavy and durable but very old school. Get a set of Champion CNC ported heads or there are a few other folks with good heads, Champions are just extremely repeatable and a solid value. If you are going to move the turbo from the stock "hot air" setup, you might as well go full 86-87 "intercooled" intake, stockers aren't too expensive (or restricting) and Champion offers CNC ported units to match their (and most other) ported iron heads. The "hot air" intake isn't very good and will leave you with a ton of compromises. Going "intercooled" on the intake will also let you get away from the throttle mounted to the inlet of the turbo which means you HAVE to run a specific type of seal (carbon something or other) on the turbo to keep it from pulling oil past the seal on closed throttle. A very big restriction going with other turbos. I've not played in the aftermarket EFI game on these engines but I know the MS community is strong for it based on DieselGeek's testimony on them doing the early DIS work and one of the most prolific experimenters in the Turbo6 world Bruce Plecan (RIP good friend) was getting into MS1 before he died. I successfully have adapted an L67 FWD ECM to run my LC2 ("intercooled") based 4.1 motor. Lastly, these motors do not like to rev very high, most people even with heavy cars like a 90's B-body wagon tend to go for the 3.42's or maybe 3.73's at the highest on the rear gears. 4.10's will virtually guarantee you shift into 4th in the quarter and TH200-4R’s aren’t setup to survive doing that long term from what I’ve heard (I run a 4L80E).

Plan 2: Going with a different foundation. This is probably higher power capacity but definitely more work.
        Put a L67 long block in it and dig up a 4rd Gen F-body L36 intake and a workable oil pan (can’t remember what works) to convert it to RWD. This will give you a much more rev tolerant engine with a strong short block that will take more power in the long run. There are a number of folks who have built this combo over on www.turbobuick.com and other than the mounts, oil pan, and dealing with a 4L60E it’s pretty simple. I think one of them is even running an MS3 setup on his. A stock L67 is pretty durable, most of the problems with the cars with them were the weak 4T65E’s vs. the engine but running lean they will pinch rings and chip pistons. Stock replacement pistons are cheap and even coated frequently. Aftermarket support for the L67 is still fairly strong with aftermarket pistons off the shelf, P&P heads still around, and a decent selection of cams. The L67 is also lighter than the classic 3.8L. They do make adapter plates to run Chevy trans behind the Metric60 patterned L67 and F-bodies came with basically a fox body V8 world class T-5 in a GM case if you want a stick. Overall they are a better engine than the 3.8L, much like the Gen III (i.e. LS1) is an evolution of the Gen I/II SBC they take the basic core but vastly update it with durability and performance improvements. The L67 really is the LS1 of the Buick V6 line; same bore and stroke but shorter deck height, slipper pistons, roller cams, on center block geometry, symmetric ports, etc.

Get that motor you have unstuck and see if it’s worth building (if the block is still standard bore and not a 20 bolt oil pan, I might be interested if it’s usable).
        we need to continue this discussion.... I'm thinking a turbo V6 wagon at drag week 2019 would be kind of fun.

I'm also really tempted to borrow the motor out of the Fiat.......
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 15, 2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• There were a couple buick turbo 6 cars their this year.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• I forgot all about this car . Would be cool to see it on drag week . Be great seeing it and the DOHC firebird go at it .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• its problem continues to be its lack of title - which I'm working on - thus the back-burner....

Comment

• In Australia only real estate has titles, vehicles no title. Here as long as the car has no history of being stolen from the last owner then anyone can own it and register it in their name.
                The police and the states registration authorities are responsible for keeping the stolen vehicle register and sometimes it not until you go to register a car that you find our it's not yours!

I can sort of understand why you would have a title on a car but see that it causes a lot of grief!
                I have never actually seen a car title, could someone post a photo of one, I'm curious to see what information is on it.
                Tim
                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                  In Australia only real estate has titles, vehicles no title. Here as long as the car has no history of being stolen from the last owner then anyone can own it and register it in their name.
                  The police and the states registration authorities are responsible for keeping the stolen vehicle register and sometimes it not until you go to register a car that you find our it's not yours!

I can sort of understand why you would have a title on a car but see that it causes a lot of grief!
                  I have never actually seen a car title, could someone post a photo of one, I'm curious to see what information is on it.

Comment

• There are states that don't have titles either or do not have titles for old vehicles. Our real property have deeds (which is the same as a title) but most people either never see it, or even if they could, never bother to see it because the paper proves nothing - it's what's recorded with the County (Nation, state, county, city) that matters.

Comment

• Hmmmm.... https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...andplay-buick/

Comment

• Indeed!!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• The biggest challenge on this car is its title. So today I sent off certified letters to the last alleged owner. When he doesn't pick it up (or if he does, don't care) - I can then get the title for the car.... then start the build.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            The biggest challenge on this car is its title. So today I sent off certified letters to the last alleged owner. When he doesn't pick it up (or if he does, don't care) - I can then get the title for the car.... then start the build.
                            It PAYS to know a good lawyer!

Dan

Comment

• Things are falling into place!

So how long does this process take?
                              Tim
                              Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

.... I'm thinking a turbo V6 wagon at drag week 2019 would be kind of fun.

just imagine a turbo 455 buick.........makes my pee-pee go da doing doing doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X